Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2018, 06:54 AM   #1

Ford V-10 Transmission Fluid Capacity

Can anyone tell me if they have changed their own transmission fluid on the Ford V-10/ F-53 chassis and what the fluid capacity is? I am attempting to change my own engine oil and transmission fluid and have very little for manuals. I believe from what I have read that the oil capacity is 6 quarts but have found nothing for transmission fluid capacity. I have just reached the 30,000 mile point and trying to get everything ready before hitting the road again to head South for the winter. Is there anything else I should be looking at to get ready?
Thanks,
Dave
dlduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2018, 07:08 AM   #2

Not sure on the Ford chassis, but any grease fittings. What I do with mine is drain the transmission and then empty the fluid into a measured container. The paint containers at Home Depot work great for this. Then I know exactly how much to put back in and be near perfect on fluid level. On the Allison in my Workhorse, there is a cold range the fluid must be in before driving. Then drive and re-check hot.

I would ask on the Ford F53 chassis forum if there is a place to download the se vice manual.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:38 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
If its a 4R100, I believe it 19 quarts. Plan on about 5 gallons if you do a Drain-fill.

I did this method on my Ole 2001 Mirada a few years ago. This method replaces about 95% of the fluid with fresh clean fluid. Theres a complete detailed How-To on my web site that I got from the Truck forum people.

Basically:

Drain the pan then re-fill the pan with fresh fluid.
Remove the cooler return line and place it in a bucket.
Run the engine to push old fluid out, re-filling the pan with fresh fluid as you go.

Mirada – Ford F53 Transmission flush – 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

There is a lot of F53 stuff on my old Mirada site, and also my new 1999 Southwind site. Both of these may apply to your F53..

http://www.1999southwind.com/

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:12 AM   #4

Transmission

I just did mine but I am no expert. The manual called for 17.5 qts. BUT that did not take into account that about 5 qts. are still in the system even after you drop the pan. That lead me to over fill the transmission causing a lot of smoke since the transmission has some sort of relief valve that was spitting out the extra fluid. I would suggest putting in about 12 qts. then using the dipstick to get an exact level. Man I thought I had really blown the transmission but was calmed down by my mechanic.
olly72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:14 AM   #5

If you are going to just drain the pan, I would do as vettenuts says. In the 4R100 it's about 6 quarts.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:49 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Which transmission do you have? Does the button on the end of the shifter say OD On/Off or Tow Haul On/Off?

I have the five speed (Tow Haul) and can drain 12 quarts by using compressed air at the external filter housing to blow out the cooler. The Ford spec for the 2006 chassis is 19 quarts. See page 7 of the PDF.

Since you'll be draining original oil and as long as the level on the dip stick is good the best thing to do is refill the transmission with the same amount you drain. Find yourself a 3 gallon bucket and start filling it up one quart at a time and mark the side of the bucket.

Or you could follow this You Tube video -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171217_110218 (1).jpg
Views:	185
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	220407  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf fseriessd_06mhc.pdf (48.2 KB, 124 views)

Tags
fluid, ford, transmission