Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2015, 10:21 PM   #1

Ford V10 chassis transmission slippage

I have a 1999 fleetwood storm,31 foot motorhome on a ford chasis. It has 40,000 miles. It drives and shifts fine on the road but once in a while as I proceed from a stop light I will feel some hesitation and apparent lapse in moving for for a second or so. Also, when I drove it up the steep slope of my drive way, I stopped half way and attempted to re-proceed and all I go was an increase in engine revs and the vehicle would not move forward, like transmission slippage. I backed up a foot or so and restarted up the drive with no further problems. Help.
stillamook is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2015, 11:02 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your situation.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 11:22 PM   #3

It is not uncommon for the Trans Filter to fall out of the Pump on the 4R100 Transmission. Before pulling pan to verify, install a Mainline Pressure Guage, to check Pressures. Pump cavitation from Filter dislodging will cause erratic Mainline. When rebuilding E4OD's and 4R100's, I install a metal bracket to the Valve Body bolt to hold Filter in place.

Kevin & Donna
2014 Tiffin Allegro 36LA
Calgary, Alberta
Good Sam Life Member
walkerkb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 12:44 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
It may also be a symptom of impending transmission failure. Having dealt with the issue twice in my 1999, I can tell you that was the first real symptom. Hesitation from a standing stop. The oil was cooked in the first transmission. I ended up installing a supplementary tranny fluid cooler to help with the problem. I hope for you sake I am wrong but if I'm not, then consider doing what I did with the transmission cooler. If you are going to drop $$$ on a transmission repair you might as well add a few hundred more to help keep the transmission cool. Mine has a temperature activated electric fans that kicks in whenever the fluid gets above a certain point.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:02 AM   #5

I too have a 1999 Ford, and it did the same thing. Bought used with 47k miles. It would slip bad driving slow through a camp ground, and like yours after a stop. I had the transmission flushed with a machine that uses the MH to push the fluid out and replace with new. After that we took a long trip from Tx to PA, and back. I think the long trip helped the most. I assume the coach set a lot before I bought it.

It seems ok now, however it still hesitates some now and then. I think because I ease on the gas, if I tap on the gas a little it kicks in and drives fine. The more I drive the better it runs.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:17 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
By all means-if you have not already done so-Change that fluid, do it yourself if you can-because the money will be wasted if your slip persists after changing.
Deny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:34 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Hope you get your problem solved! Enjoy the forum!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:53 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
We also had the 1999 F-53 chassis. We had a steep incline to back into the drive. From time to time it would grunt, shudder and appear to want to slip. It never had a problem on the open road. We ending up trading it before the tranny got any worse.

Dealing with a problematic transmission is very limited. If the fluid smells burnt that is caused by slippage in the clutch packs which wears off the clutch material and turns the fluid brown to black. The slippage is caused by hard internal seals which can only be fixed by rebuilding.

There is really only one thing we can do short of rebuilding. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not work. Flush the fluid and change the filter if it has one. That's it.

TeJay
Old 04-18-2015, 10:56 PM   #9

Thanks very much to all for your time and expertise. I did just buy the RV and it had set a lot with the previous owner. The problems were not severe and they did happen on my 250 mile home from the buyer and then when I got home. However, I will have the tranny inspected by our local shop and have the fluid flushed and check that filter. It is an older MH, but my wife and I really like it and will enjoy it.
stillamook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:00 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillamook View Post
Thanks very much to all for your time and expertise. I did just buy the RV and it had set a lot with the previous owner. The problems were not severe and they did happen on my 250 mile home from the buyer and then when I got home. However, I will have the tranny inspected by our local shop and have the fluid flushed and check that filter. It is an older MH, but my wife and I really like it and will enjoy it.
Be warned though that flushing the fluid can do it in as well. Sometimes that over cooked, burned fluid is the only thing keeping it working and when you flush, it may just cause the tranny to let go. That is what happened to me. I had some hesitation, had all the fluids and what not changed as part of having a base from which to start (coach was new to me at the time). I got about 4 miles from the shop and it just went. Have the fluid checked first, if it is a dark brownish color, smells burnt, don't flush. At least don't if you aren't prepared to redo the tranny right away. But you are probably on borrowed time with it so you may not enjoy much comfort if you are driving it anywhere of distance either. Believe me when I say, it is bad enough to break down in a normal car, doing it in a MH when you have far fewer choices of where to pull over, get a tow etc is even less fun (ask me how I know).
Old 04-19-2015, 05:01 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Poster #10 is spot on. This is a warning to those who wait to long to do the tranny service as recommended. Yes what happened to poster #10 does happen. It doe not happen every time so don't necessairly be afraid. If your fluid is not to bad go for it. Just be prepared that it just might dislodge some dirt and cause further damage as he stated.

Like I stated in my post. Changing the fluid and filter is the only thing we can do short of a rebuild. so really what have you got to loose???? You're danged if you do and danged if you don't.

TeJay
Old 04-19-2015, 06:14 AM   #12

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome, glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:15 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
I might add when the filter is changed make sure you put a 4X4 filter in it as a 2 wheel drive filter will cause these problems also.
It has been reported that some auto part stores & Ford dealers will try to sell or install a 2 wheel drive filter.
You have a deep pan and it needs the 4X4 filter with the long pick-up tube on it.
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpurrcival View Post
Be warned though that flushing the fluid can do it in as well. Sometimes that over cooked, burned fluid is the only thing keeping it working and when you flush, it may just cause the tranny to let go.
I absolutely 100% DISAGREE with that. There is NO WAY that new fluid can destroy a transmission. That has never happened.

I can see how a transmission will fail right after a fluid change. That probably happens every day somewhere.

Many (most?) people never service the transmission. It just keeps going until it has a problem. Then they think that maybe new fluid will fix what's wrong. No, it will not. The problem they see is the first indication that the neglected transmission is about to fail. They change the fluid and it dies. Now it's the new fluid that did it. Right. It's the years and years of neglect that caused it to fail, not the new fluid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpurrcival View Post
Have the fluid checked first, if it is a dark brownish color, smells burnt, don't flush.
That's actually good advice. If the fluid is like that the trans is done. New fluid at this point is a waste of money. It's going to die soon with or without new fluid.

Tags
ford, transmission, v10