Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2010, 06:13 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I use the silver anti-sieze on just about everything.
And I would replace those stud with the proper length stainless steel bolts.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2010, 08:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump Jumper View Post
According to all of the mechanics that I have talked to, the real problem that is causing the corroding of the studs is dissimilar metals (having a steel stud in an aluminum head). I don't know how you prevent that.
One easy fix is to install stainless steel heavy duty inserts (Keenserts). The Keenserts will not corrode as they are SS, and will be just fine with he carbon steel studs. The problem you may have is dissimilar CTE (Coefficient Thermal Expansion ). The steel will expand slower than the aluminum when exposed to heat, but that should be okay as well.

My advice is to install a set of quality headers. The problem of broken studs will go away, and your engine will breathe better, flow better, and most likely sound cooler.

Good Luck with it.

Bill
Old 06-24-2010, 01:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump Jumper View Post
Is there someplace online where I can check the TSB's? My local dealer isn't very helpful.
I bought bolts from ebay but it was of very poor quality so i've stopped ordering online since then, however check on some more sites.
turtlesdove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:47 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
manifold studs

stump jumper, where did you buy your new studs? a few years ago on my 460 the dealer wanted $65 per stud. I asked if that was for a pack of 100 and and he said no, each. went to auto parts store and got all for $18. I was not aware that the v-10 also had that problem. I try to be carefull and let it idle for a few minutes to let it cool down before turning it off.
mikf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:28 AM   #19

I got the new studs from a friend of mine who operates his own service/repair shop. I don't know where he got them from, but I know they weren't $65 a pop!
Old 10-29-2010, 10:11 AM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Below is a photo of the rear passenger stud on my 2000 V10, which I understand is supposed to be the worst one as far as corrosion goes. The mileage is just shy of 15,000. Question is, do I risk opening a can of worms to take these out now, and possibly break them off, or just leave well enough alone? How "bad" does this look??

Thanks,
Bob

IMG_1906.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1906.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	6413  
INSPECTORBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:23 AM   #21

On mine, the ones that broke off looked worse than that. The ones that came out without breaking looked about the same or maybe a little worse. I would definitely not mess with it unless you are having a leak problem or something else that needs fixed. The whole drilling and tapping thing is a giant pain the the butt! I am all for preventative maintenance, but if you snap a couple off now, you will be wishing you had just left it alone and dealt with it if/when the time comes.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:42 PM   #22

Sounds like a good time to upgrade to a banks exhaust system (power pak). I am pleased with mine, major power increase and about 1 mpg more.
ru499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #23

to fix it
DON'T USE AN EASY OUT,they're extremely hard which also makes them brittle. The last several times I attempted to use one they cracked or shattered, leaving behind extremely hard pieces of metal that couldn't be drilled out.
If there's anything left sticking out you could try vise grips, or welding a nut to it. Heat and penetrating oil often helps. If theirs nothing left, try reverse drills, make sure they're centered and straight.

__________________________________________________ __________
IBSON DUAL EXTREME CAT-BACK EXHAUST SYSTEM, ALUMINIZED STEEL, NATURAL FINISH -- 50-state legal; Gains an average power of 15 to 20 h.p.; 2.5 in. main piping diameter
ddunk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:31 PM   #24

As a machinist for 40 years, ddunk has the best solution. Welding a nut heats the head and stud backs right out. Heli arc is the best for me.
fletch460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:47 AM   #25
IC2

The broken stud syndrome on early V10's is more then well documented here:

Broken exhaust studs....time to get at it. Info? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

and here

Yippee!!! Finally broke a manifold stud (or two) - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

And in several other errr many posts on this Ford forum

Happy reading and good luck (so far on my V10, no problems - yet)
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:30 PM   #26

Fortunately I have never experienced any problems with exhaust manifold studs. Years ago the Chevrolet 454 was notorious for cracking manifolds and blowing manifold gaskets. I never had any problems with Ford, Dodge or Chevrolet exhaust systems in 27 years of Rving. After coming off the road from a long drive as I stop for gas or any other reason I slow down, turn off the A/C unit at least a mile from my final stop. I then put RV in park and rev the engine up to about two minutes at 2000 RPM's Less rpm for a diesel. Continue at this speed in park until you hear the cooling fan clutch disengage. There will be a significant change in the engine roar as the fan slows down This means all the built up heat has been disappated from the engine compartment.The engine will even start easier with the heat lag on the starter motor reduced. Hope this helps.
rfbelpaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:48 AM   #27

I also discovered several broken studs on out '99 Intruder 6.8 V-10 (22,000 miles), when I worked at the trade fulltime as a licensed mechanic I detested these types of jobs, no matter how careful you are there's always chance for error. Since I would have to do this in the driveway I opted to take it to a very reliable truck repair facility in the area. They replaced the studs with stainless steel as I requested, as well as changed the serpentine belt which has been on the engine since new. It was well worth the $3000 to have peace of mind that I shouldn't encounter problems while on a trip and 3 days from everywhere.
hicksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:21 AM   #28

So stainless studs is the answer.
Years ago on some engines, a hard brass type nut was used which would screw off the stud easier & not break the stud off.
Neil