Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2016, 07:22 PM   #15

I have a 2006 chassis, the Ford manual recommends changing them at 100K so I would not touch them. When I have to do it I probably will take it to Ford.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2016, 07:27 PM   #16

New to me. I have a 2001 Vacationer and was under the impression it would go 100k miles on the plugs. I won't have it anywhere near that much mileage. After reading this thread, I ain't touching them.
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 07:37 PM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If your dead set on pulling the plugs tomorrow head down to your local auto parts store and ask to see what a plug for a V10 three valve head looks like. They break sometimes below the threads leaving the tip in place. Getting the broken plug out can require a special tools. If you're going to pull them might as well replace them.

If you are still set of doing this set aside the time to get all 10 out. cb1000rider's instructions are spot on. Don't rush. Ford has published several TSB regarding removing the plugs along with removing broken plugs. I think the latest was TSB 08-7-6 but check with Ford to be sure.

While you down there consider replacing the exhaust manifold hardware. More likely to have them break before a plug fails.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 07:50 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Dubya View Post
New to me. I have a 2001 Vacationer and was under the impression it would go 100k miles on the plugs. I won't have it anywhere near that much mileage. After reading this thread, I ain't touching them.
I had a 1999 Vacationer. Had plug / coil issues at about 60k miles, but that was with a banks tune and headers. I believe the RV had been used for heavy towing... No way I'd do it on a modern-generation V10 with 25k miles...
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:04 PM   #19

Champion Spark Plug has a better replacement plug for the 3V engine, that is guaranteed not to break.

Denlors Auto Blog » Blog Archive » Champion 7989 One Piece Design Spark Plug – Ford 3V

Richard
House Husband is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:39 PM   #20

I am not an expert at all. But I have now very good sparkplugs Double platinum Autolite APP103 and I would changed them at no more than 50 to 60000 miles no matter what.

If you wait until 100 000 miles, maybe only that day you will realize that your engine has been lazy and slow for many years just because you were scared.

I changed my plugs twice on my 1999 F53. My year is in the bad range for the plug problems. I was very careful, took my time and everything went well. I could do it 10 more times no problem. Like previously said in this thread, simply don't be in a hurry.

I have put a torque of 12ft/lbs. My only worry is that one day a sparkplug might get too loose and be spit out. So I plan to retorque them all this summer and then every two years.

In my opinion the sparkplugs should not last 100000 miles... if your engine did work hard.

I had a set of cheap sparkplugs (NGK V-power TR55, 3951) that did not last more than 10 000 miles even if they were rated for 30 000miles. I made a very very difficult 2 months trip in very high mountains and my engine worked very hard. At the end of the trip my engine could not take a single easy hill. I thought my engine was burned. Then I changed the plugs for very good ones and my engine was able to complete the last 4000 miles remaining in this trip like if it was brand new.

The life time of sparkplug depends on the hills, the weight of the tow car, the number of persons you carry, if you are always full of water, if the catalitic converter is clogged, etc. If my 30 000 rated plugs lasted no more than 10 000 miles then a 100 000 plug could last from 33 000 to 100 000 miles depending on driving conditions. (I an not an expert, I have only a car and a motorhome so this is my own opinion.)

We are 2 adults and 5 kids from 8 to 16. 7 bikes on front and rear bike support. Always full of water. Floating floor, ceramic, lot of stuff and towing a quite heavy (4500 pounds) minivan Honda Odyssey that has also a bike rack in the rear.

The gap was 0.052 to 0.056 for my engine.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:49 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbilodeau View Post
If you wait until 100 000 miles, maybe only that day you will realize that your engine has been lazy and slow for many years just because you were scared.

The reality of modern motors is that you no longer have to guess. Even back with the 1999 motor, you could do Ford "mode 6" and not have to guess - the motor counts the misfires for you. If you have none, don't replace the plugs.

Everyone else, you can continue to change the oil at 2-3k miles, because that's how we all did it back then...

Just saying - there is a "non-guess" way to tell.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:01 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
The reality of modern motors is that you no longer have to guess. Even back with the 1999 motor, you could do Ford "mode 6" and not have to guess - the motor counts the misfires for you. If you have none, don't replace the plugs.

Everyone else, you can continue to change the oil at 2-3k miles, because that's how we all did it back then...

Just saying - there is a "non-guess" way to tell.
Very interesting. I guess on Google I should find about this Mode 6... then I will no more be blind about misfire.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:04 PM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
PM me if you need help. V10s are whisper smooth.. drop to 9 and you probably won't know unless climbing a hill.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:19 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
PM me if you need help. V10s are whisper smooth.. drop to 9 and you probably won't know unless climbing a hill.
I have found : Launch X431 CREADER V+ Code Scanner Graphing OBD II EOBD Diagnostic 301050144 on eBay.

Here is a link to it.

It says it has the mode 6 and is valid for vehicules after 1996.

Do you think this would make it for me? It is the cheapest I have found.

There is another one but a bit expensive for me. See the link here.

Thanks in advance
Carl
Old 05-12-2016, 09:07 AM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
cbilodeau,

Very good write-up and insight into the spark plugs and how different the demand is based on driving needs and styles. Nice job!!

cb1000rider,

I did not know about the Ford, 'Mode 6" option. With only 15,000 miles on the engine probably no need but it's good information for all.

Can the Scan Gauge read Mode 6 misfires???? My SG is about 3 years old. Maybe an upgraded SG would have it.

Thanks,
TeJay
Old 05-12-2016, 09:57 AM   #26

Tejay or someone else,

What do you think about the Orignal LAUNCH X431 CReader V+ OBD2 EOBD Code Reader? Do you think this would be a good cheap monitoring tool? If yes then I will buy it today.

Here is the link for the PDF documentation.

It can also be upgraded online with the latest version.

It is about 55$ Cad shipping included for Canada. See the link here.

Even cheaper on aliexpress.com at 45$Cad shipping include, see this link. Yes Aliexpress.com is as reliable as eBay. I have bought more than 25 items and have always received them. They offer also a great warranty and resolution center.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:11 PM   #27

Autel MaxiScan MS609 Scan code reader for F53 ?

The Autel MaxiScan MS609 does Mode 6 and also ABS. It is 75,82$Cad shipping included on aliexpress.com.

Here is the link for the PDF manual and also here if you click on "downloads" tab (manual, upgrade software, etc).

What do you think about it for F53?

N.B.: It should not be upgraded otherwise it could fail. This is what I read on the internet.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:32 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS7201 View Post
Champion Spark Plug has a better replacement plug for the 3V engine, that is guaranteed not to break.

Denlors Auto Blog » Blog Archive » Champion 7989 One Piece Design Spark Plug – Ford 3V

Richard
Everything I have read says to not use Champion, use OEM. Numerous reports of problems with Champions.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, v10