Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2016, 05:52 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Everything I have read says to not use Champion, use OEM. Numerous reports of problems with Champions.
I think I bought mine at Advanced Autoparts or at Autozone. The computer said that "Platinum Autolite APP103" were the OEM. So no need to buy at Ford dealership. There was a long list and only the APP103 was OEM.

So I took the Double platinum Autolite APP103 to be even better than OEM.

I could get even better since they have Iridium Autolite APP103. I should... since that day, every morning when I wakeup I regret my decision.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2016, 08:02 AM   #30

I finally bought the scanner: Autel MaxiScan MS609 for 75$Cad shipping included on aliexpress.com. This scanner is normally sold 175$ everywhere else.

I will let you know the result.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:12 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbilodeau View Post
I finally bought the scanner: Autel MaxiScan MS609 for 75$Cad shipping included on aliexpress.com. This scanner is normally sold 175$ everywhere else.

I will let you know the result.
I had a hard time figuring out which scanner to buy. I settled on a Autel 519. Hope it does everything I need. Wonder what is the diff between it and the ms609.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:31 PM   #32

Quote:
I had a hard time figuring out which scanner to buy. I settled on a Autel 519. Hope it does everything I need. Wonder what is the diff between it and the ms609.
I think it is like the CREADER since it does not support ABS but it has the mode 6. The MS609 has the ABS in extra. The 519 is 68$Cad and the 609 is 75$.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:33 PM   #33

I bought the AL519 but it says not supported when I tried to read misfires. Does yours read them or display the info? Just talked to Altel and he said because the F-53 does not have the same emissions stuff as car the reader won't do the misfire stuff.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 03:06 PM   #34

Quote:
I bought the AL519 but it says not supported when I tried to read misfires. Does yours read them or display the info? Just talked to Altel and he said because the F-53 does not have the same emissions stuff as car the reader won't do the misfire stuff.
I will receive my reader in 3 weeks. I will let you know. What year is your F53?
Old 05-17-2016, 03:29 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
An interesting read on OBD for 1999 F53, includes misfire data (mode 6)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf obdsm99b.pdf (313.6 KB, 53 views)
Old 05-17-2016, 04:42 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt_1111 View Post
An interesting read on OBD for 1999 F53, includes misfire data (mode 6)
This PDF you supply explains that for small engines they use LDR test for misfire. But for 6 and 8 cylinders they use HDR test (High data).

This link here explains also the difference: Misfire Detection | Search Autoparts

So I don't think any cheap scanner will do misfire detection on our 10 cylinder engine.

I will test my scanner when I receive it and I will explain here what we can get from it.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:55 AM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbilodeau View Post
This PDF you supply explains that for small engines they use LDR test for misfire. But for 6 and 8 cylinders they use HDR test (High data).

This link here explains also the difference: Misfire Detection | Search Autoparts

So I don't think any cheap scanner will do misfire detection on our 10 cylinder engine.

I will test my scanner when I receive it and I will explain here what we can get from it.
It does address LDR and HDR on page 7.

If you happen to have the 5 star tune installed can you try to read the misfire data with and without (ford original) installed?
Old 05-18-2016, 01:56 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you leave those plugs in there until you get 100k miles you will never get them out. You should change them about every 5 years no matter what the mileage. You MH sits with the engine running for quite a bit of time. If you spend the time and money now then you won't have to spend lots of money later getting those seized in plugs out later. I did a set on an 03 with 40k on it in 2010 and had no issues, except it ran much better after the plugs and boots were changed.
Fram use to say it best "you can pay me now, or you can pay me later (a whole lot more).
Old 05-18-2016, 07:57 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
If you leave those plugs in there until you get 100k miles you will never get them out. You should change them about every 5 years no matter what the mileage. You MH sits with the engine running for quite a bit of time. If you spend the time and money now then you won't have to spend lots of money later getting those seized in plugs out later. I did a set on an 03 with 40k on it in 2010 and had no issues, except it ran much better after the plugs and boots were changed.
Fram use to say it best "you can pay me now, or you can pay me later (a whole lot more).
This is what I did when I bought my MH at 69000 miles. I changed them after reading about the problem. I did not want them to seized.
If your MH was better after changing the plugs at 40k then it means I should not go over 30k between each change.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:00 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambler62 View Post
we have recently bought a 2007 MH with the Ford V10 and have heard horror stories about the spark plug removal. We only have 25000 on the unit but I would like to remove and replace before too many miles and they get real hard to get out. Anyone out there that has done this and any tips on the job. I know about the antisieze and grease when replacing. Just wonder about the removal and any things to know that make the job easier.
I run lucas in the fuel... not only does it keep the upper cylinders clean and lubricated ... it also keep the carb in the generator clean...

you should never have to change the plugs...I've put over 100k on the stock plugs of a v-10
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:03 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt_1111 View Post
It does address LDR and HDR on page 7.

If you happen to have the 5 star tune installed can you try to read the misfire data with and without (ford original) installed?
Yes page 7 of the document you showed talks about it clearly and this is what brought me to find some more info about LDR and HDR. Many thanks.

I don't have a 5 star tuner. But I don't know either if it has been done by the previous owner. But my transmission seems so perfect at every shift that I don't feel a need to spend on a 5 star tuning. I see under my F53 a small box called "Trans command banks".

What kind of scanner do yo have?
Old 05-18-2016, 08:22 AM   #42

If GVW is a factor on how long the spark plugs will last, I'm in deep trouble then, because every time we pull out of our driveway, shes loaded with a 24' enclosed & GVW is around 25,6 to 25,8.

Our 99 V10 does act & sound odd climbing a hill. It will get to a point on a climb the engine will get louder, like a couple plugs were not doing anything at first & then kicked in, so its like maybe those cylinders started working.
These V10s, they dont have a mode where they drop cylinders when running easy, or do they, because that is kinda how it feels. Not something you can feel by seat of pants like a jerk or anything, but it does seam like the engine just upped performance. Kinda confusing & odd.
Neil

Tags
ford, v10