Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2015, 10:00 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Smile Found out I had Air Bags on rear

Crawled under my 1997 GBM with F-53 chassis this morning to check the sway bar bushings. Found out that the bushings were Ok, but what a surprise when I found that it had air bags installed on the rear. I was going to make a Trac Bar (Pan Hard Bar), but am not so sure now until I hook up my toad put some air in the bags and see how she tows and rides. I still might make the Track Bar come spring. I noticed the differential is solid in the front. (no bolts) the only bolts are on the back of the differential. I doubt if that will make much difference to install a trac bar. The front has a steer safe. We are getting ready to take about a 2000 mile trip in a few days, so that will tell me if I need anything more as far as suspension on my F-53 Chassis. BTW I was also checking the sway bars to see if they had a second set of holes for the CHF (cheap handling fix) Mine do not have the second holes in them.
Mel
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2015, 05:20 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't believe Ford made a 1998 chassis and the 1999 was the first chassis that had two holes in the sway bars.

I'll be interested in knowing how the ride changes with some air in the bags. I've read that air in the rear bags ranges from about 35 to 50. Much more and it gets to harsh. The best way is to start around 25 and gradually increase the pressure by 5 lb increments until you feel the best ride. All of that will change with each chassis and MH.

As far as the track rod is concerned keep in mind exactly what it will do. It connects the differential and the frame to lessen the movement of the suspension. Even if you have the air bags you will still have movement in the spring shackles and bushings. That will result in side to side (not sway) movement of the chassis caused by semi's approaching from the rear. The air bags will/should have some effect on that because these things all tend to work together but you'll still have some slop/play in the suspension.

TeJay
Old 02-05-2015, 06:49 PM   #3

Hows that 460 doing Mel ?.
Neil
Old 02-05-2015, 10:19 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Leigh Racing View Post
Hows that 460 doing Mel ?.
Neil
So far the 460 runs great, but the real test will be a 2000 mile trip we will be taking a week from now with our toad in tow. The 460 has a banks ram air and a set of unknown headers. We don't carry everything but the kitchen sink so to speak. So are with in weight limitations. It should be interesting as we have not driven it with the toad yet. I do have a Blue Ox Apollo Brake system for the toad and a TPMS. It will also give me a chance to see how the air bags and the steersafe perform.
Mel
Old 02-06-2015, 10:28 AM   #5

Lot of folks dont understand that ol big block Ford. When Ford went to the injection away from the ol carb, it really improved that engine.
One thing you what to be sure of, to keep it from running lean. Say like the fuel pump going bad & not supplying enough fuel, because the valve train will suffer from to much heat being built up in the heads.
On the fuel injection engine though, the computer should let you know before any damage happens, but we all know how things work when something else is in control.
Other than that, that ol engines pretty dependable & say like if you wanted to hop it up, theres a bunch of small stuff can be done to it that will really wake it up.

If you ever need to know stuff about that big block Ford, go to 460ford.com those boys know how to make the ol girl get it done.
Neil
Old 07-16-2015, 09:23 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Update

Here is a update on out 2000 mile plus trip. The weather was cool, But we had no problems going and coming. The steer safe performed as intended and was a blessing on I-8 and I-10. It really helped through a narrow construction zone between St George UT and Mesquite NV. The air bags in the rear helped too. On our next trip in June we had a lot of problems with Vapor Locking. Had to be towed in Twin Falls Idaho because we were stranded on a off ramp. Got towed to the ford garage Parking lot. remained over night and the next morning it was cool and the unit started right up. continued on to Kuna Idaho where we stayed for a week. Headed back home to Utah and stopped in Twin Fall Idaho for a couple of hours. Ate lunch and headed for Ogden Utah Hot Hot Hot temp over 100 deg F and lots of hills. Kept the petal to the metal. Got to Willard Utah I-15 Vapor lock again. Coasted into Flying J gas pumps. Filled up with gas to cool down fuel pump. Spent 2 hours there and continued on to home in Ogden Utah. Vapor locked again as I got to my drive way. managed to get it started and got it parked. Started looking for another motor home. Traded it in and bought a Four Winds Hurricane 31D. V-10 Triton Engine No problems so far with the new to me hurricane 31D. BTW the 460 engines in Motor homes were notorious for vapor lock. only in motor home though. Good engine lots of power just that vapor lock problem.
Mel