Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2016, 10:59 AM   #1
HGC

Front Sway bar bolts off!

While driving back from St. Louis on I 70 we stopped to walk the dogs at a rest stop and noticed something hanging down underneath. I was stunned to find the front sway bar loose w/ both class 8 metric bolts missing,( the two bolts that bolt into the axle). Thought we heard more banging and clanging than usual. But we had sumo springs installed and I guess they took up much of the front sway. My question is how they came loose or broke. They use lock nuts and are a very tight hole.
I have since ordered two more bolts and locknuts and replaced them and torqued them down to over 100fps. It was not fun trying to realign the cast mount with the axle.
Do you think that I should redo them and use Loctite Blue? And has anyone else had this experience ? We have a 2014 Tiffin LA called "Kaboom".
HGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2016, 11:03 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGC View Post
While driving back from St. Louis on I 70 we stopped to walk the dogs at a rest stop and noticed something hanging down underneath. I was stunned to find the front sway bar loose w/ both class 8 metric bolts missing,( the two bolts that bolt into the axle). Thought we heard more banging and clanging than usual. But we had sumo springs installed and I guess they took up much of the front sway. My question is how they came loose or broke. They use lock nuts and are a very tight hole.
I have since ordered two more bolts and locknuts and replaced them and torqued them down to over 100fps. It was not fun trying to realign the cast mount with the axle.
Do you think that I should redo them and use Loctite Blue? And has anyone else had this experience ? We have a 2014 Tiffin LA called "Kaboom".
If you have a few threads remanding just add a back-up nut to the bolt.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:50 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would use blue loctite and look up the correct torque for the bolts. On mine a F53 1999, it is 67 foot pounds.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:55 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have not heard much about the fronts coming loose. I'm assuming you're on the F-53 chassis. I have read and seen that several of the rear bolts came loose and almost destroyed the bracket.

It is recommended that they be torqued to 66 ft lbs and add the blue lock tight as added insurance. You know that now. All bolts on the front and rear sway bars are torqued to 66 ft lbs. Well all except yours. LOL

I really doubt there's room for any extra nuts on the back side but it is possible I guess. The lock tight should be your insurance.

We have 15,000 miles on our coach and all of the sway bar bolts have been off several times and all torqued and with lock tight. None have ever been loose.

If I were a guessing guy I'm sure they were not correctly torqued from the factory. That may seem strange and very problematic but I don't see how they could come loose when torqued properly. Think about it this way. The prescribed torque from the manufacturer isn't 60 to 70, or 80 or 90 but specifically 66 ft lbs. Why not a range like 65 to 70?? The engineers must know something that we don't know.

If they say 66 then by golly it's going to be 66. If yours came off they just were not tightened correctly at the factory. Well that's just MHO!!

TeJay
Old 07-01-2016, 04:02 PM   #5
HGC

front sway bar bolts off

Thanks for the quick response. Also for the correct amount of torque on the bolts. There were no bolts left so put in new ordered from Ford. Still scratching my head over this. maybe as you said they were never torqued correctly. Either way I will have to loosen them and retorque and put some Loctite on them. Thanks!
Old 07-02-2016, 10:49 AM   #6

I would take the bolts you torqued to 100 and throw them away. They are possibly weakened now due to being over torqued and stretched.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:32 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
z3406,

Hey man that's an excellent point. I should have thought of that but missed it. I guess my age is catching up with me.

A bolts torque is not determined necessarily by what it is holding together. It is determined by the tensile strength of the steel in the bolt, the hardness, threads and class or grade of the bolt. Bolts will have a range of torque but we don't know what that range is. In this case 66 was the specified torque and If 100 is beyond its range it will be stretched beyond its elastic limit and therefore will eventually fail.

It's a bummer but, "Better safe than sorry."

TeJay
Old 07-04-2016, 10:01 PM   #8
HGC

front sway bar bolts off

Thanks for all your responses. Want to clarify that these are not the bolts holding the bushing bracket but are the 4inch bolts holding the cast iron anchor which fits on the main axle to which the bushings attach. Are we talking of the same bolts? The sway bar is attached by "u" bushings bolted to a cast iron wedge type piece bolted to the main axle by the 4in. bolts I torqued down 100ft.lbs. Not the same as the bushing bolts.Please let me know if we are talking about the same set of bolts. Thanks. In the mean time maybe ford can help clear this up. Will call the parts people tomorrow. See if they know for sure.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:21 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
HGC,

This is a description for the stabilizer bar bracket bolts per your quote.

" I was stunned to find the front sway bar loose w/ both class 8 metric bolts missing,( the two bolts that bolt into the axle). "

Those bolts might be 2" long. Now you are saying they are 4" long. Yes you described the wrong bolts.

From your description and without a picture I don't know which bolts you are trying to refer to. I do know there are large U-bolts holding the leaf springs to the differential or rear axle. I'd check with Ford and have them show you a picture so you can get the correct torque. I have a CD with this stuff but it's on my other computer and I'm not sure it will boot up.

I'll see if i can get it to work and if I can I'll get back to you.

TeJay
Old 07-05-2016, 02:34 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGC View Post
You say you had SUMO Springs installed
I wonder is the installer may have loosened the missing bolts and forgot to retighten them
Just a thought.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:36 AM   #11
HGC

front sway bar bolts off

I also thought the the mechanic from Ford may have loosened them and forgot to tighten them when putting on the Sumo Springs. Will try to get the proper torque measurements from Ford if you all can't find it. I bought two extra bolts from Ford in case I have to redo them. Thanks for any help.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:12 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
HGC,

I'm not sure which Ford Company made your 2014 or 2013 F-53 chassis. I have a 2013 chassis (2014 MH) and a CD for the 2014 Chassis. So if there's any differences between the two years then I should see it. I've also looked at the rear of my 18,000 lb chassis and the bracket that holds the SB to the differential is welded onto the differential housing. There are no bolts holding it to the DF.

There are no 4" bolts under that rear end. There are (1-side) 2- 12" or longer U- Bolts which hold the leaf spring to the differential. There are 2 bolts holding the U- shaped brackets which go around the poly bushings for the stabilizer bars and those are probably 1-1/2" long.

There are shorter bolts 2" or so holding the front and rear brackets to the frame. Those brackets are what the the spring shackles are bolted to. None of those bolts are 4" long and there would be absolutely no reason for those to be removed.

Now there are two jounce bumpers bolted to the frame. They are not the 4" to 5" tall yellow ones like in the front but short maybe 1" to 1-1/2" tall black rubber jounce bumpers that would need to be removed to install Sumo Springs. But they sure wouldn't need to be replaced.

If you were missing 2 4" bolts I'd sure like to see a picture of what you were seeing.

I also looked at the 24,000 to 26,000 chassis picture on the CD and I still can't see any 4" long bolts.

I realize that Ford can and does from time to time make changes that don't get put into or onto the CD's. I've seen more than one F-53 chassis and still can't picture what you are seeing.

The U-bolts are torqued to between 280 and 300 ft lbs. That varies depending on your chassis weight. I can and will get you an exact torque for any bolt that shows up on a drawing. I can not get torques for bolts that don't show up on the drawings. Get me a picture.

TeJay
Old 07-06-2016, 09:27 AM   #13
HGC

front sway bar bolts off

Went down to our Ford Truck dealer and was reluctantly given a copy of the front end assembly in a piecemeal diagram. The 4inch bolts attach the wedge shaped cast iron piece to the main axle with locknuts. To it is bolted the sway bar bushing. The bolts that were "no more" are approximately 4" grade 8 and metric. The Ford parts guy gave me a diagram and torque specs for most of the bolts in the diagram. The correct torque, if I am reading the correct description, is 74ft.lbs. So I am certainly over torqued and I will remove the ones I put in with new bolts and Blue Loctite even though there are locknuts on these bolts. Thanks for your helpful info.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:01 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
HGC,

Thanks for the update. When you have time and the know how please take a picture of that set up and post it on this thread. I'm still mystified at what it there. This is the Ford MH forum but maybe you don't have an F-53 chassis.

I won't loose any sleep over this but I just like to see and know.

Thanks,

TeJay