Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2015, 01:08 PM   #1

Fuel pump for 2000 F53

I have been shopping for a new in-tank fuel pump to replace the original since I have the tank down to replace a split generator fuel hose. The Motorcraft complete assembly is over $500. Rock auto lists an airtex pump for around $65 for the pump only. Anybody have any experience with this brand?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2015, 01:47 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
You know the difficulty in dropping the tank, you'll have to determine if it's worth paying full price from Ford, a good quality pump from some place a few steps above Rock Auto, or go with the bottom basement priced one. If you decide wrong, you can always drop the tank again to replace it.

I usually buy my automotive parts someplace other than the original manufacturer and the dealer parts counter, but that's just me. If you buy the Ford one, be sure to brace your feet.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:00 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If possible I would buy one made in North America.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:44 PM   #4

In 2010 our tank had to be dropped for the genset fuel line replacement. Although nothing wrong with the original fuel pump, I opted to have a new fuel pump installed at a cost of $468 excluding labor. Personally I would pay the extra $$$ for the Motorcraft fuel pump, however it's entirely up to you.

Best of luck & safe travels...

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:28 AM   #5

It appears according to your statement that Rock Auto's is a pump only. That means no float or filter. While it may work just fine, as long as the tank is down I think I would go for a Motorcraft one.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:23 AM   #6

I have used OEM and aftermarket in tank fuel pumps. The aftermarket units for me have never lasted as long as the OEM units but they are priced much better. So it is really a matter of how lucky do you feel.

We use our MH about 12,000 miles a year. I do not want to gamble with my vacation time. I will use aftermarket units on my cars but that is because if it quits I can have it towed home and put it on my lift and do the repairs myself. I would not want to do this repair on vacation.
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 04:36 PM   #7

Thanks to all

I appreciate all the responses and I think I will buy the motorcraft unit. Thanks again.

Tags
f53, fuel