Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2014, 07:35 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gas Gauge Issue.

My gas gauge use to go just below 3/4 mark after about 300 miles of travel.
It just started, the last few drives of 300 or so, to drop to 1/2 tank mark or just below that.
Not sure what is happening.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2014, 11:53 PM   #2

You might have a leaky gas tank level float. These are usually made of plastic or brass and are hollow. When they leak, gas gets inside and makes them "heavy", giving you a lower reading than you are used to. Usually the fix is to remove the sender unit from the top of the tank and get a replacement float. You should be able to find the right one at a decent auto parts house, if you have the old one in hand to show the counter man.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:16 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
sounds like it is a lot more accurate now

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:50 PM   #4

Yes… It does sound more accurate but you may have a leaky float causing the different reading.

My 2008 Fleetwood Terra (F53 Chassis) does the same. I have to drive nearly 250 miles until the gauge comes off of full. Seems like I can watch the needle decline the rest of the way after that. A little annoying but I have become accustom to it and I monitor my milage.

When I fill up I can (very slowly) add about another 10-14 gallons after the pump automatically kicks off. That's another approximately 70 miles of travel. Seems there is an unusually long filler tube and more room in the tank only available after the pressure subsides. Maybe the tank is baffled and it takes time for the fuel to settle into the chambers which makes more room for more fuel?

I don't think the float is adjusted properly for an accurate reading.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:07 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The float sounds like the most likely suspect but to be sure you need to check your fuel mileage if you were recording from pre-problem trips. If your mileage hasn't change then the float is the problem but if your mileage has dropped something else is the cause.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:29 PM   #6

Ford fuel pump floats are not like the floats used a very long time ago where they can leak and allow fuel to get inside. They are a solid material and cannot allow fuel to saturate it. My guess is that the tank is not getting fueled up enough. Having the coach level when filling makes a huge difference in the amount of fuel I put into my motorhome.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:07 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Not sure about Ford's materials but:

GM had problems with sulphur from fuel coating or corroding senders for gas gauge units. Chevron with techron fuel additive will work in some circumstances. (If it's coated). The GM fuel system additive is pretty much the same thing.

If it's corrosion from sulphur, it's not going to fix it. Worth a try, but it's probably not going to work overnight. Might take a while. Or possibly never if corroded.

Based on how the fuel gauge logic works, the tank level vs gauge reading is off one way or the other based on the severity of the problem.
khogle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by khogle2 View Post
Not sure about Ford's materials but:

GM had problems with sulphur from fuel coating or corroding senders for gas gauge units. Chevron with techron fuel additive will work in some circumstances. (If it's coated). The GM fuel system additive is pretty much the same thing.

If it's corrosion from sulphur, it's not going to fix it. Worth a try, but it's probably not going to work overnight. Might take a while. Or possibly never if corroded.

Based on how the fuel gauge logic works, the tank level vs gauge reading is off one way or the other based on the severity of the problem.
Ford also had a similar SSM on using the techron back in the late 90's or maybe early 2000's. Don't remember when exactly but it was also for the same issues. But seems like it only affected a certain amount of vehicles and not along the entire vehicle line.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas