Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2014, 07:51 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gas Tank External Drain

In 2 weeks I will drop my fuel tank to replace the fuel pump that has been acting up. While I have if out, I am thinking about installing an external valve to drain the tank if needed in the future. Dealing with today’s ethanol mixture, when the fuel is getting old in the motorhome, I could drain some of it and use it in my daily auto. This way, I could refill the motorhome with fresher fuel before it gets too bad/old.

What do you think about this idea? Also, if this is doable, what valve or drain do I use?

Thanks in Advance for your help and suggestions.
MrMudstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2014, 05:23 AM   #2

Not a bad idea actually. My MH has a external pump for filling ATVs and such so I use that over the winter to use the gas so it doesn't just sit there and go bad. I also use marine stabil as it seems to work better than the regular stuff. Just be careful when welding in the bung for the drain as those fumes in that tank will explode....
Cobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:53 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just one idea that comes to mind. If you have a generator on the MH putting a "T" in that fuel line and adding a pump there would eliminate having to try welding a drain on tank itself.

If you don't have a genny it might be easier to incorporate a piece of metal tubing on to the new pump set up when you are installing the new pump into the tank. You could weld/braze the fitting a lot easier than welding on the tank itself. Attach a fitting to the new pump top so you could then run the tube into the tank and attach it to the pump along with a sock filter. Then mount an external electric pump, switch etc maybe into one of your compartments. You could run rubber fuel line from the tank to the pump and just pump from the compartment area.

I've done some gas tank welding in the past and it's not the easiest or the safest to do.
Let us know what you end up doing. Just some other thoughts and ideas.
TeJay
Old 10-02-2014, 02:20 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Sheer are you getting you tap for fuel tank. Sounds like a great idea.
ARFFMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 04:16 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
So you're looking at one of two things:
1) A tap (physical) on the tank to drain it
2) A way to trigger the fuel pump and pump it all out.

Neither will get all of the fuel out of the system. And #1 will likely require welding on the tank, which requires you to drop the tank and find a welding shop crazy enough to weld on a tank that had fuel in it. As you're dropping the tank, it's possible, but most welding shops won't do it...

Ethanol stinks. However, a good marine fuel stabilizer and filling the tank all the way to the top will make that tank of fuel good for more than 12 months. You'll still need to drain the generator, but the RV itself will run that fuel for a good long time.

Neither option will get all of the fuel out of the tank... I think you're better off purging the air.

If you're in an area serviced by general aviation, check into the availability of ethanol free gas for storage... It costs more, but it's probably worth the hassle compared to doing what you're suggesting.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:06 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am moving this thread to "Class A Motorhome" to get more exposure. Please respond your suggestions to the thread below. Thanks
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/gas-...ml#post2255075
MrMudstud is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, tank