Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2016, 10:03 AM   #1

Gasser engine braking

Do you do anything special to engage the engine braking on a gas MH?

My RV manual says to pre-shift into a lower gear before heading down a hill where the Ford manual says have it in tow-haul and use the brake to go to a lower gear.

Never really had to go down a long steep grade like in the mountains, but I'm planning a trip for this summer. Wondering what it takes to engage the engine brake on a gasser.
Brandonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2016, 10:07 AM   #2

I just use the brakes off and on. In cruise control it will downshift to brake. Maybe there is a better way. I will be interested in seeing the responses here.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:14 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonrv View Post

My RV manual says to pre-shift into a lower gear before heading down a hill where the Ford manual says have it in tow-haul and use the brake to go to a lower gear.
Never really had to go down a long steep grade like in the mountains, but I'm planning a trip for this summer. Wondering what it takes to engage the engine brake on a gasser.
The cruise will downshift if it exceeds a set MPH (mine appears to be around 3-5MPH over my cruise setting) With that said and not knowing the year of your V-10 i would not use cruise on a long downhill grade. I would use the tow/haul switch and engage it then control my top speed thru intermittent braking. The manual is very specific as to how much the engine downshifts depending on one or two taps of the brake in succession. Your RPM may rise significantly depending on speed.
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:18 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We go up and down the local mountains and the Eastern High Sierras all the time here in Southern California.

Driving in a hilly area or descending a mountain, I do not use cruise control.

The Tow-Haul mode is great for gradual grades. By depressing on the brakes the engine will downshift for you. Easy to use.

For steeper grades, I just use 1st and 2nd gear and go slow.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Dean View Post
The cruise will downshift if it exceeds a set MPH (mine appears to be around 3-5MPH over my cruise setting) With that said and not knowing the year of your V-10 i would not use cruise on a long downhill grade. I would use the tow/haul switch and engage it then control my top speed thru intermittent braking. The manual is very specific as to how much the engine downshifts depending on one or two taps of the brake in succession. Your RPM may rise significantly depending on speed.
Ah so tapping the brake down shifts? That's the part I maybe wasn't understanding from the RV manual. It says to pre-downshift.

I have a 2014 Bounder 35K. Pretty similar to your setup actually with the various add-ons.
Brandonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:26 AM   #6

With the newer Ford Chassis, all you have to do is leave it in drive and put it in the "tow Haul" mode. As you start to descend the grade, brake gently to the speed you want and the transmission will automatically downshift to keep you at or close to your desired speed. The rpms will go up significantly as the engine holds your speed, don't worry as that is how the engine is built to perform. You may need to do some slight braking if you pick up speed and your rpms go too high but it will be very minimal. We have traveled throughout the Sierras, and the Rocky Mountains and downhill braking has not been an issue using they tow haul mode. I never use the cruise control as I like to control the speed and I seem to get better gas mileage without it.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:24 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Agree with Mike on his assessment. I have not done any rocky mountain driving with my RV but have been thru some decent grades in Missouri and Alabama believe it or not, LOL. I have used both cruise on small downgrades and tow/haul on steeper longer ones. The cruise is fine on small stuff, the only real issue is when it downshifts (typically I'm around 65@2300RPM, it goes to 28 or 3300RPM and stays there till the start of the climb on the next hill) sometimes the lag on the cruise is such that it tries to downshift then up shift right away so it is better managed manual, but still does fine. I have learned on the double brake tap from many discussions on the iRV2 forums and actually tried it on my trip to the factory. It works as advertised in the manual, two quick taps on the brake in tow/haul will force an instant downshift. I use tow/haul a lot while in town traffic because it does an excellent job with minimal brake pressure to slow for lites and traffic. I pull a Hyundai Elentra on a EZE tow surge brake dolly, it has no impact either way on the engine braking that I can tell. My tow weight with dolly and vehicle is 3200lbs.
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:47 AM   #8

I've had my 2008 Monaco Monarch on the Ford chasis all over the sierras, coastal range, Yosemite, Idaho, and Montana in mountainous regions. I never manually downshifted. As several have posted, use your tow/haul button which is on the end of your shifter. Then, every time you gently depress the brake the transmission will down shift. I do have to use my brake a bit on long aggressive downgrades, but not much. The tranny will do all the work and save your brakes. If you are concerned, take it out on a quick morning run to test the water in the hills. The system if rock solid and works great.
Billinwoodla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Let off the gas and it's in engine braking mode. How much engine braking will be determined by your chassis.

Quote:
My RV manual says to pre-shift into a lower gear before heading down a hill
That's obsolete information. When you have a question about the kitchen sink do you look for the answer in the Ford manaul?

Quote:
where the Ford manual says have it in tow-haul and use the brake to go to a lower gear.
This is correct. A light tap on the brakes, just enough to turn on the brake lights, will downshift one gear. A harder application will cause a two gear downshift if the vehicle speed will allow it. Usually it will go down a second gear.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:49 PM   #10

There has been some discussion that the new 6-speed in 2016 chassis is not engine braking as aggressively or perhaps not at all in tow-haul mode. Those who have had both have been reporting it doesn't down shift with a brake tap as the 5-speed did.

I haven't had the situation present itself to try it yet on mine, as I haven't been to the mountains yet.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:55 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have been out west three times. We have gone down grades of more than 10%. The main thing to remember is that although you are using the transmission, you will have to brake at times. Brakes are trading speed for heat. Never hold the brakes for long periods. Brake fairly hard for a short period. Then let off so the brakes can cool. I usually brake when I reach 50 mph. Bring it down to 35. Let off until it reaches 50 again and back to 35.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:09 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I never use the cruise control when on a grade or decending a grade. When heading down a grade I turn off my Over Drive and tap the brake pedal when needed. (If Needed)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 01:08 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
I never use the cruise control when on a grade or decending a grade. When heading down a grade I turn off my Over Drive and tap the brake pedal when needed. (If Needed)
Sorry Steve n Sal...totally different systems. There is no overdrive on the newer Ford trannys.
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 01:17 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdog View Post
Sorry Steve n Sal...totally different systems. There is no overdrive on the newer Ford trannys.
I was just trying to explain what I do when driving my GM/Allison combination. Don't really know the function of the Ford system and I didn't know this topic was related strictly to Ford products. Sorry.
Besides when I'm not in Over Drive I'm basically in Tow/Haul mode with my Allison.

Moderator: Delete this if you wish.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, engine