Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2016, 02:46 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Getting a friend into RVing

A friend of mine gave up looking for RV's for a while due to some medical issues. His wife found out I had recently bought an old used unit for cheap. (1992 Fleetwood Coronado with the 454 for $6800, 61,000 miles out of Nevada with full air ride, 7K gen, a new A/C unit, and new fridge) I directed them to a lot where they bought a 98 Itasca with the V10. I want to help them out, so here are the questions.
Since I bought a Chevy 454, You Ford guys will need to educate me.
1. I have heard positive results from the 5 star tune. Will it work on a 98 V-10?
2. The Cheap Handling Fix thread was too long to read, and it seems to be contradictory. Opinions on that?
3. Any comments on the Itasca in general?
4. Wasn't the 1998 V-10 problematic, then improved after 2005?
Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Jim
Railhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2016, 08:41 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jim,

I guess folks are busy so here's my inputs.

Yes the 5 Star is available on the 1998 and it is a good idea. I've not heard anybody who has had much to complain about it. That older engine while it is not up to par with the 2005-06 3 valve changes it is still doing the job for many many RV owners.

The CHF (IMHO) is a must for any F-53 chassis. But there was a chassis design change about that time 1998 and i don't know for sure if that chassis will have the two holes in the SB. Back at that point Ford skipped a year and until someone checks it's an unknown if it has the holes. If it were a 1999 model then I'd say yes.

Yes there were questions at the beginning but all those questions have been answered and all is well. Nobody ever had a catastrophic accident because they did the CHF. Nobody has really had any issues with the CHF and literally thousands have done it.

That one single MOD has allowed more RV owners to enjoy riding and driving their coaches for no out of pocket money than any other single MOD especially since all the others cost lots of $$$$$ and the CHF is free.

We have a WBGO/Itasca and are happy. We did a lot of research before we picked a manufacturer and model. We also ordered ours and all is well. The WBGO line of products is probably now and has been the biggest bang for the buck around. They can still get replacement parts (if needed) for that coach by calling the factory.

There were some spark plug issues with some early V-10 engines but if it's not been fixed already it still can be. The fix is not a major expense. Just google "V-10 spark plug issues" on these forums and you can read all about it.

TeJay
Old 06-27-2016, 01:03 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
5 Star Tune is the way to go. Change the plugs ASAP if they haven't been changed within the last 2 years. Other things to have done is change out the Brake Fluid, Power Steering Fluid, and the Tranny Fluid. Yes this may seem like overkill, but unless there is documentation that shows it has been changed recently then they all need it.
Also check the date code on the tires, if they are older than 5 years old then be prepared to putout money for those also.
Also check the various bushing for the sway bar and have the front end lubed while you are at it. Most of this stuff will help any possible suspension problems.
As far as the Itasca MH, most of those were built very well. If it was taken care of then it should be I good shape.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:06 AM   #4

I'll play a little devil's advocate. I have a class a gasser on the Ford F53 chassis. It is newer than you are talking about. I haven't done the CHF or 5 star or any of the other handling mods. I think it is just fine as is. If it aint broke, and all that. Does your friend's Itasca handle poorly for a big box that catches wind?
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:12 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
sbleiweiss,

The point that you made is valid. The newbie and the OP have not driven this 1998 coach so nobody knows.

That said, the questions and MODs he's referring to are legitimate concerns for a coach of that age. The V-10 did have some spark plug issues. The older V-10 is under-powered by today's standards but there are many still running around. The 5 Star would help with more HP, better performance and some better shifting.

The CHF is a cheap MOD that has provided great improvements in ride and handling for no cost. My guess is that coach will have 19'5" tires which do not perform as well as the 22'5" tires. We had a 34' 1999 DS and it had 19.5" tires. Today I'm sure it would have the larger tires/rims.

I didn't check by my guess is that your 2014 Thor 37KT is 22,000 lb chassis or larger with 22'5" tires and it also has a front track bar which for sure the 1998 does not have unless it was also a MOD. That is comparing apples to oranges.

Your point is still a good valid point and one should not do anything at least as far as the ride and handling until a test drive is performed. The other questions (plugs and 5 Star) are still valid even if it handles fine.

Maybe a word/update from the OP and his perspective new owner would be in order.

TeJay
Old 06-28-2016, 07:54 AM   #6

My last coach as a '99 V-10. The older V-10's will benefit greatly from headers\exhaust upgrade. I put the full Banks kit on mine about a year after I bought it (new) and it made a very impressive gain but on an older coach that may be too much to invest in it. The stock exhaust on the 2-valve V-10's is very restrictive. That said I put 80,000 miles on it and the only engine issue I had was a defective idle control valve. You probably are aware that this vintage of V-10 is the infamous spark plug eater. You want to be very careful when changing the sparkplugs. Do a search and you'll find lot's of advice and opinions on how to change them.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:23 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'll give everyone an update. My friend Dave has not yet taken delivery of the unit yet. I wanted some cannon fodder to get him set up and running on the right path. Thanks to those of you who commented.
Since we will eventually get out on a trip together, it will be interesting to see how the two MH's compare. Mine is 6 years older with nearly the same miles. The old Ford vs. Chevy duel. I've got air suspension. He has a slide.
I'll post more after he gets everything sorted out.
Railhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
sbleiweiss,

The CHF is a cheap MOD that has provided great improvements in ride and handling for no cost. My guess is that coach will have 19'5" tires which do not perform as well as the 22'5" tires. We had a 34' 1999 DS and it had 19.5" tires. Today I'm sure it would have the larger tires/rims.

I didn't check by my guess is that your 2014 Thor 37KT is 22,000 lb chassis or larger with 22'5" tires and it also has a front track bar which for sure the 1998 does not have unless it was also a MOD. That is comparing apples to oranges.

TeJay
All good points TeJay. Yes, mine is the 22k chassis with 22.5 inch wheels. I know that a lot of people do CHF, but I still worry about Ford claiming it voids warranty while still under warranty. Also, I'm not handy enough to do it myself, so not so cheap after all.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:33 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
You may or may not have read all the CHF posts but many have. Since the CHF was begun in the summer of 2010 not a single problem has occurred as a result of performing the Fix. Ford on at least two occasions has said there's nothing to be concerned about if you perform it.

Yes it does shorten the lever arm and in some leveling situations the front wheels will come off the ground. If one is in a bit more extreme leveling situation the wheels will still come off the ground without doing the Fix so it's really still not an issue.

Extending the links fixes that but some have done the Fix and NEVER extended the links.

Life is still about choices so this information is not in an effort to convince you one way or the other. Having more information/facts concerning the CHF is not a bad thing.

TeJay

Tags
rving