Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2013, 08:39 AM   #29

Ford Super Duty Owner
We are just beginning our adventure with a new MH and 6 GY tires 19.5". I'm sorry for your tire woes but I hope yours is an isolated incident and not the norm.

Getting the internal sensors for the TPMS was a good move. We had the TPMS for the TT and I'll use it for the MH but after all the $$$$$ to get everything else set up I'm going to approach the tires this way. I'll put the sensors on the fronts. If they get low I should get a warning. If I hit something on the road that might cause a deflation with the rears I'll immediately stop and inspect the tires. That's what happened to us back in 2000. We hit a hole with a rear tire and 300 miles later the tire fell apart. I probably lost tire pressure after the hit but didn't realize it until it was to late. If we have a blow out with a rear we'll just remove and drive until we get off and get it fixed. We don't have a spare. If have a problem with a front tire I'll just put a rear tire on the front and drive slowly to an exit. Or we may call road assistance.

I will voice my complaint with Winnebago in regards to the spare tire. We didn't know about it until the end of the PDI. The tech doing the PDI said, "If you had a spare tire this is the compartment in which it would be located." That's one heck of a time to be finding out about this. Now if you have 22.5" tires I can understand not having a spare. They are very heavy and require a torque of 450 FT. LBS. Most won't have the equipment to change those tires but the 19.5" tire only require 150 LBS of torque. I believe if Winnebago is not going to include one it should be mentioned either by them or by the dealer and one should be offered as an option at their cost.

TeJay

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #30

I have posted this in another forum, but I drive for a very large trucking company. For several years they were buying goodyear steer tires, and everyone of them had problems... Like in out of round... They would wobble and shake and you could not keep the steering wheel steady no matter what... For the thousands they bought, I can't see that would be "one batch" ... Wore out many front end parts,,, then they went to Michelins,, the problem went away... (I run Coopers on the rv) I watched a mechanic "chalk" one of the tires once, you wouldn't believe how out of round it was... If you have good luck with goodyears, I'm happy for you... Got any lucky lotto numbers to share ???

monkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires