Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Angry Goodyear (bad) tires

I purchased a new (2013) Newmar Bay Star 2901 in February. Our first long trip was in May and June. Traveling west from Pennsylvania was an adventure. We had a high frequency vibration in the front end that made you feel like you had worked a jack hammer all day. In addition, on windy days we were all over the road. It was so bad that we had to sit out several windy days. About the first week we were wondering what have we done and how could we get our money back. We moved "up" from a fifth wheel. I had read about Henderson's alignment in Oregon and as we were headed for Crater Lake as one of our stops; I made an appointment. After a test drive they weighed the four axles and jacked up the front end. They found that both front tires were over 40 thousandths out of round. Then they did the rears and found two of the four rear tires were over 80 thousandths out of round. I elected to have the tires trued and balanced at $105 each. Watching as they spun up the tires was like watching a egg on the machine. Goodyear should be ashamed of themselves for selling such poor quality tires. They were G670's. While there I had them install front and rear sway bars and Koni shocks. We now have a smooth riding and comfortable motorhome. As in past threads, its a shame that we have to spend thousands to get a decent riding RV
AKmtnpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2013, 03:19 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Sounds like the tires were under-inflated and sat on the lot for a long time in one spot before purchase. If they are out of round and new, GY would replace them under warranty - did they refuse to do so? I'm using GY as my second set of tires and the ride is much better than the stock tires. 110 Lbs on all 6.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry for your troubles but you're not the first to take their band spankin' new coach to Hendersons because of handling issues.

I had my new 40DP up there when it only had 5K miles on it.

Too bad about the tires but glad the good folks at Hendersons were able to get that kitten purring.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gotcha beat there Rick. I rolled in to Hendersons with a shade under 3,000 on the clock, delivery mileage plus me driving it from the dealer to Hendersons. Front and rear sway bars, rear track bar, Safe T Plus steering damper, 4 wheel alignment and balance. Seemed strange handing over $6,000 on a new coach, but the handling difference is unbelievable.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
Gotcha beat there Rick. I rolled in to Hendersons with a shade under 3,000 on the clock, delivery mileage plus me driving it from the dealer to Hendersons. Front and rear sway bars, rear track bar, Safe T Plus steering damper, 4 wheel alignment and balance. Seemed strange handing over $6,000 on a new coach, but the handling difference is unbelievable.
You are GOOD Bruce!

I got away for about 1/3 of your bill though. New bell crank, motion control units, and a Safe T Plus.

I'm sure this thread will go down the path of discussing "why do we have to fix this stuff on a brand new rig?" Good question but there are many of us out here who love the way our rigs handle now because we did.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:28 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
We now have our 2014 Winnebago Vista 30T 7/29. We took delivery at Lichtsinn Motors in FC Iowa. Yes we were excited and that's probably why I didn't notice the pull to the right. Had I noticed I doubt the dealer would have done anything. We departed FC on 8/2 and I had to keep about 2" of left rudder to keep straight on the road. When we arrived I contacted Ford because I believed we had an alignment issue. THE MOTOR HOME CURRENTLY HAS 700 MILES ON IT. I did swap the front tires and the pull went away. I did proceed with the alignment and all alignment angles were off and I mean all of them. Caster, camber and toe. Following the alignment the MH home drove and handled great, I swapped front tires just to see and the pull returned. To further check the situation I swapped the bad tire with a rear tire and no pull. So with tire #1 on the front it pulls. With tire #2 and 3 it does not pull. Correct all alignment angles and with tire #1 on the RF it pulls. Put tire #3 on RF and no pull. Seems that the tire is the problem. The extended warranty tire people rejected the claim because it is a road hazard warranty and not a tire defect warranty. I've contacted Ford and the Regional rep is supposed to call me before the end of business on Friday. I will be shocked if they do call.

Here's what I've learned about tires. NOBODY wants to deal with them and that includes GY. And they will tell you that they don't build a bad tire. They can lay the blame on everybody else except the tire: alignment, tire pressure and customer improper loading. I really do believe that we have a bad tire. If it is placed on the LF it's OK. If I put it on the rear it's OK. If I put it on the RF it causes a bad pull to the right. The alignment is spot on. Two other tires on the RF did not cause a pull.

This MH has a front and rear anti-sway bar and a front track bar. I will install a rear track bar after I build one. As of now it drives and rides great. We just have to get this tire issue corrected. Worst case I will install the pulling tire on the rear and hope it lasts.

TeJay
Old 08-27-2013, 04:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmtnpilot View Post
I purchased a new (2013) Newmar Bay Star 2901 in February. Our first long trip was in May and June. Traveling west from Pennsylvania was an adventure. We had a high frequency vibration in the front end that made you feel like you had worked a jack hammer all day. In addition, on windy days we were all over the road. It was so bad that we had to sit out several windy days. About the first week we were wondering what have we done and how could we get our money back. We moved "up" from a fifth wheel. I had read about Henderson's alignment in Oregon and as we were headed for Crater Lake as one of our stops; I made an appointment. After a test drive they weighed the four axles and jacked up the front end. They found that both front tires were over 40 thousandths out of round. Then they did the rears and found two of the four rear tires were over 80 thousandths out of round. I elected to have the tires trued and balanced at $105 each. Watching as they spun up the tires was like watching a egg on the machine. Goodyear should be ashamed of themselves for selling such poor quality tires. They were G670's. While there I had them install front and rear sway bars and Koni shocks. We now have a smooth riding and comfortable motorhome. As in past threads, its a shame that we have to spend thousands to get a decent riding RV
If you felt you had a tire problem from the begining why didn't you contact Goodyear, and after Henderson's confirmed your suspicions why didn't you contact Goodyear with the information? The people you left out of the loop were the only people that could have corrected the situation without costing you money.

The Goodyears that came from the factory on our 04 Jeep had problems. I contacted the local dealer and the factory rep. They suspected an alignment problem. All I had to do was have the alignment checked at the dealer. If it wasn't within specs I would pay for the alignment and new set of tires.

As it turned out the dealer just had a new alignment machine installed, and the alignment company rep was there the day I had an appointment. The alignment was dead on so Goodyear replaced all 4 tires for no charge and the alignment check was on the house.

When you have a problem with a product you have to contact the manufacturer or their rep to get any assistance. Hendersons had no interest in doing so. They made a pile of money correcting a problem that in all likelyhood would have been covered under the manufacturers warranty.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:21 PM   #8

I had a 2008 Beaver tag axle 42-footer that pulled. I took it to Josams in Orlando. They had to heat up and bend the drive axle. This is probably the best alignment shop in the US. They manufacture alignment gear. The service manager said what they did on mine was not uncommon on a Roadmaster chassis. Apparently the problem is a Result of welding the suspension mounts to the axle. That's not really a problem as long as the chassis is aligned before it leaves the plant. That doesn't happen. What a diffrence in ride!
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:38 PM   #9

I have G670s. They started to wear on the outside edges of the steer tires. The sticker below my driver window told me to get front alignment when I had a working load. Did that. It worked.

Pick a tire maker, any tire maker. It has had some bad stuff. Over-all they have good stuff.

Tires that sat for a long time on the lot may have issues.

If I have tire trouble, I will report same to the tire maker.

I will not bash any tire maker for a one-off situation that was not in their control. Not fair!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:43 PM   #10

Heating an axle before bending is not a recommended by any chassis manufacturer. I worked in the automotive and truck repair industry for many years. Every alignment school I ever attended cautioned against heating an axle to bend it. Once the axle has been heated enough to weaken it for bending it the heated area remains a weak point. It may not return to the original configuration, but is likely to fatugue under stress. Our alignment machine had jacks up to 100 tons for cold bending axles when needed.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:58 AM   #11

Josams manufacturers the bending equipment, so they likely know best. You can't cold bend a drive axle housing. Their heating process is opposite the support welds to counter the original bend greated by the welding process. They don't actually bend the axle, bending occurs from heating. Drive axle housings are not heat treated, the actual axles inside are and are not heated in this process.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post
Josams manufacturers the bending equipment, so they likely know best. You can't cold bend a drive axle housing. Their heating process is opposite the support welds to counter the original bend greated by the welding process. They don't actually bend the axle, bending occurs from heating. Drive axle housings are not heat treated, the actual axles inside are and are not heated in this process.
Sorry, I should have read the post a little more thoroughly. I missed the critical part about it being the drive axle.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:41 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
Sorry, I should have read the post a little more thoroughly. I missed the critical part about it being the drive axle.
I was confused too, don't feel bad.
In racing we straighten rear axle "tubes" all the time
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmtnpilot View Post
I'd think those tires should have some kind of warranty to cover the defects.
When you buy a new vehicle like that, I'd think either Goodyear or the RV maker is on the hook for this.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires