Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2014, 05:05 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Has anyone had problems getting warranty work done?

When we were at Brazel's after the Tiffin Rally they discovered that the Tie rod boot end was broken. They got the part number & was told that it would take several days just to get it so we opted to try to get it done when we got home to New Mexico.

I called Rich Ford who does coach work & left a message....no returned call. I called again, no return call. This went on for a week. Then I chatted online with one of their reps who assured me they would call me back within 24 hours. That was 3 weeks ago.

In the meantime I called Ford Tech Support & Statkus Engines in Albuquerque who has always done Ford warranty work. The Tech at Ford said she would authorize the work to be done there so we brought it in today & now I get a call from another Tech Support at Ford that says SORRY you have to go to a Ford Dealer. This is the same Ford dealer that doesn't return calls & who everyone that has gone there complains about. The next closest dealer is 80 miles away & that means bringing it up there & leaving it for who knows how long. They have to look at it, determine what needs to be done (this has already been done) & then order the parts, etc, etc, etc!

I am so frustrated because Ford now makes customers go through hoops to get warranty work done. I told the supervisor what about the people who live in these coaches. His response was "these are RV's meaning recreational vehicles, they are not meant to be lived in". Can you believe that?

I said if you keep treating people like this perhaps people will opt not to buy an RV on a Ford Chassis & his response was "that isn't going to happen". I think Ford is getting too big for their britches. Almost makes me want to go buy a coach on another chassis.....

The supervisor at Ford said if there is a dealer within 40 miles you have to go there or they will not pay for the warranty work. It doesn't matter if that coach ends up sitting on their lot for weeks while they do what they want but Ford doesn't care....afterall, it's an RV & you can't live in it :banghead

Has anyone else had this problem?
Nedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2014, 09:34 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It sounds like Brazel would have done the work if you wanted to stick around. Perhaps your warranty wording will permit you to go to a non-Ford dealer who is licensed in NM to do the work.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:57 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
It sounds like Brazel would have done the work if you wanted to stick around. Perhaps your warranty wording will permit you to go to a non-Ford dealer who is licensed in NM to do the work.
Yes, Brazil would have done it BUT if Ford is only covering the warranty work at a Ford dealer it doesn't solve the problem. Ford is NOT allowing NON-Ford dealers or service centers to do warranty work & get paid for it.

I just got off the phone with Bob Tiffin & he is not happy. When I told him what that moron said about RV's not meant to be lived in he was speechless. He took the guys name & extension number.

I told him that I understand he cannot control what Ford does but by For taking the stance that only a Ford dealer can do the work it is not just inconveniencing people it is in some cases a major problem & it still reflects on him. He agreed.

The owner of Statkus told me they got the warranty work from Ford because of so many complaints about Rich Ford to begin with. Just the other day they were told they couldn't do warranty work on an AC. They insisted it go to Rich Ford. Rich Ford told the customer it only need to be pumped up but in reality it needed a part replaced that cost about $100. Rich Ford will pump it up & the people will go down the road & it will be 100 degrees one day & it will go out again but if it was fixed properly it would work fine. This is what many Ford dealers are doing & basically it's the minimum to get people out on the road & perhaps not come back until the warranty is out.

I told Bob I didn't expect promises that Ford will allow us to get it done at Statkus in 1 day rather than having it sit on Rich Ford's lot for weeks or more but I was hoping he would have enough clout to make some changes back to Ford providing better customer service....

We shall see what happens. He said he would call them right away & call me as soon as he talks to someone.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:13 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Problems getting Ford Warranty Work Done

Update on this problem:

When I spoke with Bob Tiffin he was flabbergasted that a supervisor at Ford would tell a customer that RV's are not intended to be lived in.

Within about 10 minutes Bob called me back. He said he couldn't get through to anyone & they do have problems getting through. He admitted they really like selling them chassis but they are not great about talking to them. He did leave a message & he asked the person in his office responsible for this type of thing to follow up with Ford.

What he did was authorize Statkus to do the work. He had me tell Jim at Statkus to send him the defective part & call him directly for a credit card number. I thanked him over & over for helping out. He said that it's unfortunate that they have to get involved but they have done this before. They will get reimbursed for the warranty work from Ford but it just shouldn't have to be that way.

SOOOOO, I suggest that anyone who has encountered problems getting Ford warranty work or recall work done by Ford call Bob & let him know. I hate dumping this on him but perhaps something will happen if enough people speak up.

Now I'm wondering if I should call that idiot back & let him know that not only did I contact Bob Tiffin but I also filed a complaint with Ford...or should I save my breath?

Nedra
Old 08-27-2014, 01:42 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If I were you....I would write the Chairman/CEO of Ford (certified mail, return receipt requested) and blast Rich Ford off the face of the earth. One page letter.

Are there other Ford dealers nearby with a bay big enough for RVs? If not, ask in your letter, who else will Ford authorize to do work.....as you are NEVER going back to Rich Ford.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:53 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
If I were you....I would write the Chairman/CEO of Ford (certified mail, return receipt requested) and blast Rich Ford off the face of the earth. One page letter.

Are there other Ford dealers nearby with a bay big enough for RVs? If not, ask in your letter, who else will Ford authorize to do work.....as you are NEVER going back to Rich Ford.
Well, I might consider doing that but I have never used Rich Ford. I can't even get them to return my calls. Other people had had bad experiences but most don't bother to complain to the big wigs.

There are no Ford dealers within an 85 mile radius that can do RV's.