Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2015, 10:16 AM   #43

Kind of off-topic, but for an older 460 powered RV, a great fix for more power and torque is to put a stroker kit. The Ford 460 can get up to a common 512 cu inch size. Combine this with some better breathing heads stock modified or aftermarket, and you would have a torque king that would be perfect for RV. No supercharger needed and same external size so not increasing the already cramped engine compartment.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2015, 01:02 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Kind of off-topic, but for an older 460 powered RV, a great fix for more power and torque is to put a stroker kit. The Ford 460 can get up to a common 512 cu inch size. Combine this with some better breathing heads stock modified or aftermarket, and you would have a torque king that would be perfect for RV. No supercharger needed and same external size so not increasing the already cramped engine compartment.
That's a good thought. Now that I have a rebuilt long block it'll be interesting to see the improvements this coming summer. So far during the recent 875 mile I-10 trip between San Marcos TX and Sierra Vista AZ I was extremely happy. But the route is comparatively flat, it'll be interesting seeing how it runs in real mountains.

Oddly enough, I'm thinking of putting a small stoker kit in my motorcycle, a Kawasaki KLR250, in hopes of squeezing another 5hp from it so it'll do better on the highway.

Steve
Geocritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 11:28 AM   #45
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
Anybody have any experience with these? I looked on line and for the most part, they seemed be used in cars with smaller engines. I looked a reviews that I could find on them and over all, not good. Most were written by what appears to be younger guys are making emotional and well studied choices.
mre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 11:46 AM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Hmmm,
if you can find one of these....
Old 05-19-2016, 12:29 PM   #47

So Geocritter, did you work on this project.

I am interessed since I need some more power in the hills.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:34 PM   #48

N.B.: Just read this text saying an Electric Supercharger can not work. It has to be belt driven and should then be expensive.

See the text here:
Understand Why Electric Superchargers Are Scams
Old 05-21-2016, 03:15 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbilodeau View Post
So Geocritter, did you work on this project.

I am interessed since I need some more power in the hills.
I posted out of curiosity. I'm currently pretty happy with the power increase I got from a rebuilt long block assembly and exhaust headers.

Steve
Old 08-18-2016, 09:31 AM   #50

Maybe someone at Volvo might have some ideas.

This 2,400-hp Volvo semi was built to demolish speed records
This is interesting, I always thought of Volvo as this stoic maker of soccer-mom cars. However, thinking back, my late wife had a 1966 Volvo sedan back in 1970 that she'd drive 350 miles on the interstate from NE Illinois to Carbondale flat out (95mph) the entire ways and the engine always held together. Unfortunately, she suffered a front wheel blow-out on one of her trips and ended up rolling the Volvo. It landed on its wheels and she walked away with a few bruises from flying luggage. My honey had a need for speed.
Steve

Tags
gas