RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2014, 01:09 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Headlight issues on Ford Chassis

I have a 2004 Seabreeze on f-53 chassis. Put frankly, the headlights suck.
They are barely capable of lighting the road ahead of me, I am over-driving my headlights at about 30MPH. This seems like it must be related to the Daytime headlight module. My headlights are on all the time when the coach is running, both the low beams and high, the highs are on very dimly when the low beam headlights are on fairly brightly when the headlight switch is off. When I turn on the headlight switch, all exterior lights illuminate but there is no apparent change in the headlamps. There is a tremendous effect when brights are activated. I suspect a defective module, relay or fuse. Any ideas where to start?

I want to avoid electrical shop if I can, but don't want to throw parts at this.

I will check voltages at the lights when I can, at the low beams with headlights on, off and brights. Will report back, any other advice, including whereabouts of the DRL module will be appreciated.

I have replace both low beam bulbs with the brightest I could find, no noticeable effect.

I rarely drive at night, but when I do it reminds me about this issue.

Someone mentioned a ford tech out there who may be able to shed some light on this issue. (pun intended)

trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2014, 02:08 PM   #2

Definitely sounds like you have more than the normal "headlights stink" kind of problem. Sounds like they aren't even coming on.

You can pull a fuse to disable the daytime running lights. I'd try that and see if you have headlights or not.

I think I have posted wiring diagrams before. Search with my username. I'll do the same and post them later if they aren't already here somewhere.

The voltage check will tell you if you are getting out of the DRL mode, it should be like 6 volts.

Once you fix your problem, you'll still be surprised how low the voltage is at the lights. The Ford wiring routes the power to the lights through a bunch of relays through the headlight switch. It's like 14 connections. My voltage drop was over 2 volts. Much better with relays to get the power from the battery/alternator directly to the lights.

Gotta fix you problem first though. Might just be a fuse. I need to go ove rthe diagrams again. As I mentioned I can do that later today.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:03 PM   #3

I had a similar problem and the following websites helped. You already have relays but small wire and connectors can cause low voltage at the headlights.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...ys/relays.html

http://www.cabby-info.com/Files/Rela...Headlights.pdf

I used 12ga wiring between the relays and the neadlights and 10ga from the battery to the relays all conections were soldered, seperate 30 amp circuit breakers at the battery for the hi and low circuits, and I used ceramic headlight sockets.

2005 Desert Fox 28KS
Joe O'Melia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:38 PM   #4

Maybe I haven't posted diagrams, I can't find them searching.

So. Here's the headlight side of things:

The DRL side is a few pages too. I'll see if I can find it online, I have them as PDFs, they don't come through too clear when I convert them to pictures.

I'd start with checking the voltage, see if it changes when you turn on the headlights. Diagrams show a few fuses to check, just 'cause.

A rather large hole is the National part of the wiring. Have to assume it's hooked up correctly, but I've seen more than one error made by various manufacturers when it comes to following what Ford specs out.

You can also see the tortured path the power to the lights goes though:

Fuse 1.27> Main light switch > Multifunction switch > Headlight relay > Central Junction box > Headlights. I count 14 connections and three sets of switch contacts. Probably MANY feet of wire, some as small as 18 gauge (each light) or 14 gauge (both lights).

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:51 AM   #5

Some times just flicking the dimmer switch a few times on the turn signal stalk helps get the going again. Bad grounds and faulty/dirty sockets at the lamps would be the first thing that I would check. Just follow the power as the wiring is pretty obvious there behind the bulbs.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:48 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Getting HID's on Ebay for under $40 gives me plenty of light. 4300k and 55w are brightest. Plug and plays.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:51 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hmmm

Will be at motorhome this weekend and will check with voltage meter on drl and headlights on, and start there. Visually there is no difference now.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Getting HID's on Ebay for under $40 gives me plenty of light. 4300k and 55w are brightest. Plug and plays.
I to am converting over to HID. Going with 55W but 6K instead of 4300. The 6K is a little whiter and can illuminate the road better but may have some minor reflection back from particles in the air. Im sure the head light lens that are in my motorhome (Ford E-series van) will cut it down some from the inefficient design. The 4300K lights still have a slight bit of yellow. That is the OEM range. I am also converting the Fleet of ambulances I am manager over to the 35W 4300K lights. I plan on trying the 55W to see but leaning towards 35K.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:37 PM   #9

Sounds like a faulty ground on your head light assembly

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:32 PM   #10

If you follow the procedure on danielstern website you will determine the drop on both legs of the circuit

2005 Desert Fox 28KS
Old 03-14-2014, 05:48 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
I to am converting over to HID. Going with 55W but 6K instead of 4300. The 6K is a little whiter and can illuminate the road better but may have some minor reflection back from particles in the air. Im sure the head light lens that are in my motorhome (Ford E-series van) will cut it down some from the inefficient design. The 4300K lights still have a slight bit of yellow. That is the OEM range. I am also converting the Fleet of ambulances I am manager over to the 35W 4300K lights. I plan on trying the 55W to see but leaning towards 35K.
I notice that the Daniel Stern website says these HID kits are unsafe and illegal, I think these are the kind of lights I curse when the are coming toward me at night based on the description there.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:51 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
But where

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVJ58 View Post
Sounds like a faulty ground on your head light assembly
I have been told this before, but I trace wires to check and see if I can follow to a ground point or ground bus of some kind, but the wires "disappear" into large wire bundles and I lose track at that point. How do I check ground at the assembly?
Old 03-14-2014, 07:48 AM   #13

Measure the voltage between the ground terminal on the light and the chassis or the neg terminal on the battery leave the socket connected to the bulb with a digital voltmeter range set to automatic if possible o r start at lowest range, the lower the better

2005 Desert Fox 28KS
Old 03-14-2014, 03:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by trode View Post
I notice that the Daniel Stern website says these HID kits are unsafe and illegal, I think these are the kind of lights I curse when the are coming toward me at night based on the description there.
A lot depends on proper head light aiming. I have tested these lights for oncoming traffic and they have less glare for on coming traffic than many OEM's. Technically they are not DOT approved since you are altering the original design certification of the lights. However if you purchase a light kit of the proper color (not the blue, purple, etc) and it does not affect on coming traffic in a negative manner, pretty much no law enforcement officer will bother you. They would have to pull you over and check out your set up to realize that it was altered.

They are actually more safe than standard halogen,as they give you a better illumination of the road ahead of you.

jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, ford