RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2019, 08:22 PM   #1

Headlight switch replacement

l Sorta new at rving, but I need help . I have put this on the winnie forum and hope this is not a duplicate
I have a 2000 winnebago adventure 35u on ford 550 super duty chassis. I need to replace the headlight switch. I was working with the dash up and it fell and damaged the headlight switch. My problem is, that I cannot figure out how to get the trim plate (bezel) out of the dash. Ford Motor said Winnebago installed it and Winnebago say Ford installed it. Dealership have no help either. Has anyone ever changed this switch on f550 ford chassis. The 550 seems to be different that any pictures or u tube I have seen. I do not see screws nor can I find any tabs that hold it in. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Don

pastordonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2019, 09:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastordonj View Post
l Sorta new at rving, but I need help . I have put this on the winnie forum and hope this is not a duplicate
I have a 2000 winnebago adventure 35u on ford 550 super duty chassis. I need to replace the headlight switch. I was working with the dash up and it fell and damaged the headlight switch. My problem is, that I cannot figure out how to get the trim plate (bezel) out of the dash. Ford Motor said Winnebago installed it and Winnebago say Ford installed it. Dealership have no help either. Has anyone ever changed this switch on f550 ford chassis. The 550 seems to be different that any pictures or u tube I have seen. I do not see screws nor can I find any tabs that hold it in. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Don

You sure itís not a f53 chassis?

Old 12-05-2019, 09:34 PM   #3

Don't know specifically but many times there is a button on the back of the switch that when pressed releases the On / Off knob shaft which can then be extracted.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:07 AM   #4

Your coach is built on Ford F53 Chassis, sometimes called Stripped Chassis, or Motorhome Chassis.

Many VIN lookup tools erroneously call it an F550. F550s are sold by Ford with a cab, the F53s are not, just drivetrain, steering column, gauges and pedals. Ford may include the headlight switch, but it would be Winnebago that mounts it, or Winnebago provides their own switch. Ford parts doesn't list a headlight switch for a 2000 model. That's not proof that Ford didn't provide it, but I can't help exactly. If Ford did provide it, it will be labeled with either the Ford oval, or FoMoCo for Ford Motor Company. (Ford is really picky, if the supplier can't reproduce the Ford oval exactly, they use FoMoCo in whatever font)

Why does Ford call it an F53? The standard 17 character VIN format used by all vehicle manufactures selling in the US allows 3 characters for the vehicle model. F53 is the model code shown in the VIN.

I have as 2002 Winnebago Adventurer sitting at home (my buddy's coach) I'll try to post a picture tonight. I'll see if I can find a part number from his coach.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:52 AM   #5

hEADLIGHT sWITCH

Thanks for the reply. The window sticker that came with the coach says its a 550 MotorHome Strip Chass F series. The vin # is 3FCNF53S8YJ A00403. Ford dealer told me they had to order the switch. Any help is so much appreciated
Old 12-06-2019, 09:51 AM   #6

I had a 2000 37g Winnebago Adventurer. It was definitely on a f 53 chassis. I would think a 35 would be the same wheelbase as mine was.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:34 PM   #7

If you could post a picture of the switch it would help. My '04 F-53 (Coachman) you can reach up from the floor and grab the back of the switch. Feel around for a little button that will release the whole switch assembly and allow you to wiggle it forward out of the dash. It is a tight fit in mine but it will come out. Mine has a Head light switch that rotates to the right for parking lights and head lights and a separate rotating wheel for dash light dimmer.

Hope this helps.
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:06 PM   #8

Headlight Switch

Thanks to each of you who replied to my post. I went to the dealership today an took my vin number and they identified the chassis as F53 just as you have said. They gave me a Ford part # F81Z11654AP but the part has to come through MOTORCRAFT part# sw5226 @ $183.35. This exactly what BCARP said in his post. I ordered a switch and hope when it gets here I can look at it and help to determine how to get the old one out.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:48 PM   #9

It's good you checked with Ford the part number for the 2002 is slightly different than you found.

If anyone is wondering, here's the switch from a 2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35UClick image for larger version

Name:	20191206_213753.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	268810Click image for larger version

Name:	1575686781355.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	268811
Old 12-07-2019, 10:14 AM   #10

Ok, picture helps. My "button in the back" suggestion was not for that type of newer switch.

For the newer switch, knob doesn't pull off? maybe a screw holding the bezel on underneath the knob?
Old 12-07-2019, 10:41 AM   #11

If that is like the VW rotational switches, you press in while rotating it and it will lock in a recessed position and then the entire switch can be pulled out through the knob hole.

This is just how the VW headlight switches work however. I haven't a clue if it is the same on this one. Maybe google "Ford F53 headlight switch" and see what you find.
Old 12-07-2019, 01:53 PM   #12

Headlight Switch

Thanks for the pictures BCarp. That is exactly what my switch looks like. With the part # being different on 2002, I assume there is some difference. Any chance you might have seen how it came out? As I posted before, the switch its self fell out, leaving the housing and the bezel plate in place and I assume the housing and plate should come out together as a unit. Thanks again for all the response that have been posted.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCarp View Post
It's good you checked with Ford the part number for the 2002 is slightly different than you found.

If anyone is wondering, here's the switch from a 2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35UAttachment 268810Attachment 268811
That is the same headlight switch that is in my Coachman and must be common to all F-53 chassis of this vintage.

When you receive it from Ford, look on the back, one of the little tabs, I don't remember if it was top or bottom, when pressed will cause the other little tabs or dogs to retract in. That is how you release the old one for removal. There is enough slack (just barely to get the switch out before you remove the wire plug.

Mine also had a VERY crude RV factory spacer to make it fit tight in the RV dash. It was just a piece of rough cut black plastic that went on the switch before it went in to make it tight once inserted into the plastic dash. What ever Ford used this switch in must have had a thicker face plate.

Mine broke upon arrival at my destination after 13 hrs on the road. Had to learn how to remove it to unplug the wires so the head lights would turn off. Repaired mine the next day with super glue (the face came off) and have had no further issues to date.

Good Luck. Once you get it apart, and see how it works, it's a simple job. Goes back together much easier than it comes apart.

One more thing I just noticed in BCarp's picture. That switch looks like it is behind the face plate of the dash. If so you will have to remove it to get the switch out, as they come out through the front. Mine has a faux wood trim, and the switch just pressed it, so I did not have to remove anything else besides the switch itself.
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:08 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Many times if you have the new part in hand, it helps greatly to figure out how to remove/ replace?

Tags
ace, headlight, light, replace, replacement, switch