Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2015, 05:10 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Headlights

2000 F53 Chassis.
I have the original glass headlights and they are really a lot less light than the newer vehicles that I see on the interstate at night. Mine are more of the old time dimmer light compared to the 'brighter, whiter' ones.
Can anyone recommend a replacement upgrade that will give me a brighter light?
I expect that I will have to buy the whole headlight, not just the bulb insert????....
Thanks.
winnie32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2015, 08:38 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie32v View Post
2000 F53 Chassis.
I have the original glass headlights and they are really a lot less light than the newer vehicles that I see on the interstate at night. Mine are more of the old time dimmer light compared to the 'brighter, whiter' ones.
I expect that I will have to buy the whole headlight, not just the bulb insert????....
Thanks.
I have a 2012 Itasca Sunstar (Winnebago) and my headlights suck, to be blunt about it. At night I sometimes turn them off and back on to make sure they're actually working. Maybe I should consider some type of auxiliary driving lights ?
Old 10-25-2015, 08:50 AM   #3

Universal 4x6 Diamond-Cut Projector Headlights With Built-in LED - Black

Something like this?
Old 10-25-2015, 09:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcurt23 View Post
Those appear to be high beam units only.
mpaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:48 AM   #5

Quote:
2000 F53 Chassis.
Thanks.
winnie32v
Google "silverstar headlights"...or see: https://www.sylvania.com/en-us/produ...tar-ultra.aspx
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 05:10 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
winnie32v
Google "silverstar headlights"...or see: https://www.sylvania.com/en-us/produ...tar-ultra.aspx
Mel
'96 Safari
Like everyone else I too hate my headlights. For the most part i do not drive at night but when i do it would be nice to see. My last night drive I put the lights on high beam and not one oncoming driver flashed me telling me I was to bright ???

That said I did check on the bulbs in this link. None of them (according to Amazon) are compatible with a 2000 Ford F 53 (Chassis year)

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:33 PM   #7

Check the lenses and make sure they have not yellowed or gone foggy. Mine had so I polished them, used a good cleaner found at NAPA and they are as good as they have ever been. That said they are still one step above suck. I have looked into changing bulbs but have not done that yet. I solved the problem by stopping about 4:00 PM - in time for a cold one or two before dinner.
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:41 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
My lenses are shot. One gathers moisture inside so instead of refinishing them I'm just gonna replace them. I can do that for less than $60. Not sure what the cleaner kit costs but I'm willing to start fresh. I would like the brightest bulb possible but I've heard that some require more voltage than is constantly available and others have talked about heat from the bulbs. No easy answer.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:10 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
A lot also has to do with the level of the coach. I find if I'm back end heavy then my headlights are almost useless but if I'm more level then they're better - not good but better.

Jim Anderson
1997 Tropical
Jeep Liberty
jimnkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:53 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....
There must be both plastic and glass headlights out there.
Mine are all glass, perfectly clear and no moisture.
Still haven't figured out if I need a full replacement unit or if I can just replace the bulb.
I'll have to get out the manuals and check this out.
winnie32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:37 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
That is odd. We both have the same year although we have different brands. My understanding with mine is that they are a Ford headlight. I can't recall the exact year span but I know mine are plastic and the replacements on Amazon are plastic. Maybe both styles were available at that time ???

Old 11-02-2015, 05:50 AM   #12

Option B could be to leave the headlights alone and put in a decent set of LED driving lamps. Prices have come way down and the draw on your battery would be a lot less than traditional headlamps if you are using to light the area (engine off)
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:01 AM   #13

Truck supply shops seems to be selling these or a version of..

Not sure the legality of on road use.. My son was just stopped in my mustang because of my HIDs...cop said they were not legal for on road use.. no ticket though...

http://www.amazon.com/Tuff-LED-Light.../dp/B00CS86EES
Old 11-02-2015, 06:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....
There must be both plastic and glass headlights out there.
Mine are all glass, perfectly clear and no moisture.
Still haven't figured out if I need a full replacement unit or if I can just replace the bulb.
I'll have to get out the manuals and check this out.
The 2001 Adventurer 32V came with rectangular sealed beam headlights. There is no lens to clean like the newer models. When the headlights burn out the entire lamp has to be replaced.

Does your Adventurer have the daytime running lights? It's actually the low beam headlights on at 60% power. Secondly have you checked to be sure you have a good ground for the headlight circuit. Many times the lights are dimmer because the ground wire is either corroded or the stud it's mounted too is rusty.

If you do have the daytime running lights, and you have a good ground for the headlight circuit make sure the low beam headlights are actually on when you turn on the switch. Over time both low beams on our 2001 Adventurer burned out because they were on every minute the engine was running.

Keep in mind the outer lights have both a low beam and a high beam filament. The low beam could be burned out. The inner headlights have a high beam filament only. When the headlights are on low beam only the outer lights should be on. When they are in the high beam mode all 4 lights should be on.

When we replaced the burnt out lights on our 2001 Adventurer we used Wagner H4656TV lamps for the low beams and H4651TV for the high beams. These are sealed beam halogen lamps. They throw a much whiter beam than the original lamps. They're still available for less than $10.00 each. Your best bet is a farm store like Farm & Fleet or Tractor Supply. They also fit a number of trucks.

I was just cleaning the garage last week and found a spare one of each on an upper shelf. The motorhome has been gone over 2 years and I still occasionally find a spare part lying around.

Tags
light, lights