Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2017, 08:00 AM   #1

Help-Do I have the new 6 speed transmission?

Hello,

I just purchased a 2016 Winnebago Vista 35B. The vin plate says it was manufactured in 2015, and I am trying to find out if it has the new 6 speed transmission or not.

I see many posts saying you can find it using the vin, but I cant seem to find a website that tells me for sure.

The vin is: 1F66F5DY2F0A12345

Can anyone provide any guidance?
patpro23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2017, 08:13 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
According to this web site, you do have a 6 speed transmission:

https://winnebagoind.com/products/cl...specifications
Old 04-12-2017, 08:26 AM   #3

Look at the transmission position indicator. If it shows 1, 2, 3, D, N, R, P it is a five speed. If it shows 1, 2, 4, D, N, R , P it is a six speed.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:21 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Winnebago used up all the 2015 VIN Chassis when building 2016 RVs on the F53 Chassis. So, just because the 2016 Winnebago brochure said 6 speed transmission does not guarantee your specific one has it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:32 AM   #5
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
5 speed. Buy 2015 Ford F53 Parts | FordParts.com
Old 04-12-2017, 10:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
Based on the VIN given RRR is correct. It is a 5 Speed. Beau38 is also correct on the selector way to determine the transmission.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:21 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
One of the hazards of buying after a major chassis upgrade, and the RV manufacturer still has a stock of the older chassis.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:19 PM   #8

Computerguy and RRR are providing you with correct information. If you want, you can improve the performance with a 5star tune. Still a nice motorhome.
rssj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:23 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Seems to me if you were sold a 2016, and the brochure says 6 speed, and your bill of sale (that you and dealer sign) doesn't say anything about you getting a 5 speed, you have a law suit. Years ago, GM found out the hard way when selling cars with 350 engines and people who bought Oldsmobiles or Bucks had Chevy engines, or something to that effect. GM was sued in class action and had to pay rebates.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:40 PM   #10

Here is a link to the Ford Vin decoder.

VIN Guides | fleet.ford.com

The tenth character defines the year of the chassis. F is a 2015 chassis and G is a 2016 chassis.

As said by others the easiest way to know if the chassis is a five or six speed is to check the gear shift display. If you have 321 it is a five speed transmission and if you have 421 it is a six speed transmission.

Enjoy your new coach. Safe travels. JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetonchief View Post
Seems to me if you were sold a 2016, and the brochure says 6 speed, and your bill of sale (that you and dealer sign) doesn't say anything about you getting a 5 speed, you have a law suit. Years ago, GM found out the hard way when selling cars with 350 engines and people who bought Oldsmobiles or Bucks had Chevy engines, or something to that effect. GM was sued in class action and had to pay rebates.
I always find it so frustrating that so many have the first action of LAWSUIT. Sue sue sue.
The brochure has this text in it
"Not all items available in combination. See dealer for details.
Winnebago’s® continuing program of product improvement makes specifications, equipment, model availability, and prices subject to change without notice. Published content reflects the
most current product information at time of printing. Please consult your dealer for individual vehicle features and specifications"

But I am sure you can find a lawyer who will take the case. It is a sad country we live in when the first action is to lawyer up.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:52 AM   #12

Thank you everyone for the responses.

I am obviously disappointed that it is the 5 speed, but it is still light years better than the 97 Itasca 454 P30 chassis I have been driving for the past 10 years.

With regard to filing a lawsuit, I am an attorney licensed in Florida and D.C., but would not consider doing so in this case. The dealership was honest in saying they didn't know if it had the 5 or 6 speed transmission. Even if I knew for sure, I would have still bought the coach, and I am happy with the purchase.

Thanks again
patpro23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by patpro23 View Post
Thank you everyone for the responses.

I am obviously disappointed that it is the 5 speed, but it is still light years better than the 97 Itasca 454 P30 chassis I have been driving for the past 10 years.

With regard to filing a lawsuit, I am an attorney licensed in Florida and D.C., but would not consider doing so in this case. The dealership was honest in saying they didn't know if it had the 5 or 6 speed transmission. Even if I knew for sure, I would have still bought the coach, and I am happy with the purchase.

Thanks again
patpro23, you've restored my faith in humanity. Thank You!!
The 5 speed is really good BTW. The 5 star tune will make it better in that it will not do the 5-3 downshift and will seek better shift points. Highly recommended.
Enjoy the new RV.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:05 AM   #14

pat
Did you buy it new from a Winnebago dealer? If the answer is yes then we have another case of how to tell if an RV dealer is lying. His lips are moving. There is no way that a dealer with a 2016 coach on his lot does not know what it is. The 6 speed chassis has been out there about a year and a half now and that's a big reason why it was still on his lot. I hope you got a very good price on it.
If it was used and on a non Winnebago lot the chances of the selling dealer not knowing it was a 5 speed are still pretty slim.
I'm glad you like your coach and wish you the best with it there's no reason you won't get years of pleasure out of it.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transmission