Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2016, 05:42 PM   #1

HELP need trans shifter cable for 1999 F53!

i took my coach to the transmission shop to get a service done before we left for our trip on saturday and come to find out when he was on the road test he pulled back in and the shifter cable broke from being to close to the exhaust which seems to be a big problem i have tried wrecking yards and ford and everything in between and cant find anything an i have to leave on a trip for 7 days this saturday, anyone know where i can find one ASAP! thanks for any info
lunchmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2016, 06:22 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Think Marine. As Boats.

search for Telflex Morse

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...t.do?docId=737
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 12:40 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have you tried Ford?
1999 Ford F53 Transmission Shift Cable | FordParts.com
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 06:20 PM   #4

yes that was the first call, and to ford motorhomes, and to ford obsolete parts, and anyone that has ever showed the part number, ford discontinued taht number a few years ago and not one person that has ever stocked for parts shows it
Old 01-26-2016, 06:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
Think Marine. As Boats.

search for Telflex Morse

Teleflex Control Cable Cross Reference
yes we have nevada speedo who will make a cable but cant find a show that will modify this POS motorhome to make it fit. seems as if i have a giant paper wieght
Old 01-26-2016, 06:38 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchmoney View Post
yes that was the first call, and to ford motorhomes, and to ford obsolete parts, and anyone that has ever showed the part number, ford discontinued taht number a few years ago and not one person that has ever stocked for parts shows it
A couple of years ago I replaced the right front spring on my 99. Ford said it was obsolete I searched on line a found the dimensions of my spring and of a later year that Ford did have. The one for a later F53 was exactly the same as mine but with a different P/N, ordered it from Ford and it fit perfectly. Could have had one made but the one from Ford was over $200 less then the shop wanted. My point is find out what if any difference there is of the cable Ford has that is close to your year. You might be able to adapt it for your trans.

Edit, did some searching. Seems Ford does not stock the cable for any year F53 with the 4R100 trans, which you probably all ready know. You might try some of the RV Salvage yard.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:42 PM   #7

put a floor shifter in it , your trans shop can do that !
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:25 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you know or can find someone that will log on to this site there maybe a fix for the cable.

1999 Ford F53 6.8L Shifter Cable - iATN
Old 01-28-2016, 09:55 PM   #9

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do some research there are company's that do nothing but make cables. All you need is the old one for a sample.
I know there are people who do them just can't remember the name. And I won't be home for a couple of weeks.
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:54 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by narampa View Post
Do some research there are company's that do nothing but make cables. All you need is the old one for a sample.
I know there are people who do them just can't remember the name. And I won't be home for a couple of weeks.
There's a guy in NC that makes duplicate cables. He sells on Ebay. Here's a link to his ad.

Ford F53 F3TZ7E395B Shifter Cable Motor Home Chassis 1990 1996 118 inches Long | eBay

I just repaired my shifter cable today. Near the transmission, the cable runs through a bracket with Nylon grommets/strain reliefs. The cable sleeve moved thru the grommets affecting positive shift lever position. I made 2 ea 3"x3/4" straps and cut notches to fit the cable diameters. I drilled 1/4" holes on both ends of the straps. I placed notches over the shifter cable on both sides of the bracket. Using long 10-32 screws, washers and Nylock nuts, I drew the sides together to assure the cable sleeve would not move when shifting gears. I then safety wired the straps to the cables.
Transmission shift lever now has positive motion and it's a permanent $10 fix. Job done.
a.j.
ajpaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:41 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
lunchmoney,

You posted here on 1/25/16 concerning your shift cable on your 1999 F-53 chassis. It's now 2/24/16. Did you ever resolve your shift cable issue 1999?? We here would really like to know the final solution. We'll assume that you did or you now have tons of paper setting under your new yard sized paperweight.

I don't have a cable in front of me but this I do know. Take your old cable out so you know the exact length. Do some research either locally or on line and find a shop that has the special ends which are simply crimped on to any cable. Finding a crimping tool should be easy. Any shop that deals with this stuff will have the tool. Take your broken cable into any shop that does that stuff. Find the ends on line. Buy what you need and they can crimp those ends on a new cable.

Yes it will take some digging but just about any thing can be remade using new. The cable will be a standard size. Those ends used to connect to the shift lever and the transmission can't be that difficult to get especially with the internet.

I've not had to fix one lately but I'm going to Google "transmission cable connecting ends"or "cable crimped ends" and see what pops up. That's future reference for me and others who may need the info.

I realize you needed a fix quick and finding parts may not have been the plan. Maybe a temporary fix then a better one later.

TeJay
Old 02-24-2016, 07:57 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
lunchmoney,

Found several companies that might have what is needed: Bowden Cable & Fittings, Aircraft Spruce Speciality Supplies, Motion Pro Cable fittings.

TeJay
Old 12-28-2019, 09:44 PM   #13

Lightbulb Temporary hack

My shift cable has ruptured as well:

Bad assembly putting it so close (touching) to the exhaust...

Diagnosing was a real pain. I was in a ski resort where you can't park overnight and the RV (2001 Rexhall Aerbus, Ford F53 chassis) wouldn't start. Not even cranking.
Turned out that the shift cable was pulling but wasn't pushing, so it just stayed in "1" gear. Apparently the PCM is not letting you start the engine unless you're in "P" or "N" gears.

My temporary solution\hack:

Just removed the heat protection, coiled a hard wire around the cable\tube.
That is enough to get me home and look for a better solution.

From what I seen online a new cable is hard to find so will try ordering one on these: https://www.cablecraft.com/wp-conten...crop-marks.pdf

Will update on results
paalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 09:43 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Paalex, when I needed to replace the shift cable on my 97 F53, Cablecraft had what I needed. Critical to know the exact length and type of fittings on each end. Fortunately, have a local CC distributor nearby and I simply brought the entire cable to them. Had it made up in hours.
Good luck.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f53