Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2015, 02:07 PM   #1

Help with Tire Pressure

I have a 2013 ACE using Goodyear 245/70R19 load rated G tires. I have been unable to find a place to complete a 4 corner weight. I have completed a by axle weight. My steer axle weighed in at 6160 lbs. My drive axle weighed in at 11480 lbs. Using the formula provided by another IRV2 user, who suggested adding 5% to each side for weight (since I'm not sure of the 4 corner weight) I came up with the following:
Weight on each front tire: 3,234 lbs
Weight on each rear side: 6,027 (does this mean weight on each tire since they are duals is 3,014?

If the above is correct then my tire pressure should be:
front: (numbers not shown in chart) 82 psi per tag on RV? This is the one provided by Thor
rear: (numbers not on chart) 82 psi per tag on Rv? This is the one provided by Thor

Thank you for any help. This stuff hurts my head and I am normally pretty intelligent.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2015, 05:03 PM   #2

That's about where I run my tires too (82 to 85 psi).

Since heat is the biggest killer of tires, I monitor the tire temp every time I stop using my hand (I check all six tires). If they aren't hot to the touch, they are OK. A tire that is losing air will be hotter than the rest so it's a good way to tell if one has a slow leak.

If they are a bit above ambient air temperature or warm, then they aren't getting too hot. The ones on the sunny side will obviously be a bit warmer (unless it's night or cloudy).

After a bit you'll get to know your tires. Comfort is also a consideration for me - I could keep them stone cold and jar my old bones.

The first thing I added to my coach was an air compressor (the cheap round building supplies type for brad nailers). With the generator and compressor, I can add air anywhere, any time. And I also carry my own pressure gauges. And if I have a slow leak, I can stop, top it up, and get to a tire shop without waiting for a service truck to come to where I am.

I have also stopped at truck weigh scales if they are convenient - on many of our highways (north of '49) they aren't open all the time, but the scales still work and provide a readout.

Glenn
Old 09-29-2015, 08:21 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
You are right on track with the tire pressures. Glenn's advice is spot on. You can just feel the tires or buy an infrared temperature gauge for about $20 at HF. Some have reported that they are not real accurate but I've found them to be very close. Even if they are not accurate as such just knowing that the tires are all about the same is good. That's about what the hand does as well. The tires on the sunny side of the coach will be a bit warmer but not to much. All you are trying to determine is if you maybe picked up a nail causing a slow leak. Just a few miles on a tire with a slow leak will/may destroy the tires inside.

As far as the pressures I usually recommend to owners to use the pressures stamped on the inside as a starting place. That's where I started and ended up. All is well.

Getting a 4-corner weigh is best done at an RV rally. It's a courtesy thing. Sometimes the State Police will bring a scale and do it. Getting it done at a grain elevator would work also. If you know or live in some farming communities befriend somebody at the GE and see if they would do it. Most CAT Scales won't do it. They have guard rails and you can't get far enough to the side to do the 4-corners.

TeJay
Old 09-30-2015, 12:30 PM   #4

Glenn and Tejay,

Thank you both for the reply. Good to know I am on the right track. I will send you both forum thank yo us when I am on the computer, can't figure out how to do it on the iPad.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:48 PM   #5

I had my Thor ACE 27.1 aligned and four corner weighed at Redlands RV and Truck. 85 rear and 80 front on their printout. Dealer told me 110. Was running 100 now at 85, 80.

Tags
tire pressure