Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2018, 08:17 AM   #1

How do you cope with f53 chassis battery drain while stored

How do you cope with f53 chassis battery drain while stored ...

I have heard of guys pulling the negative battery wire via quick disconnect, some use solar chargers to keep memory

There was a post awhile back where one owner let his chassis battery die and computer lost all memory, he said it was shifting funny and overall just not running right until all systems updated. Which took quite some time

the manufacturers left out a chassis battery cutoff switch on purpose because of memory loss

What do you guys use..

I just purchased a 5 watt solar charger. Some say it won't work were others say it will. ..may look into a 10 amp unit if it doesn't work
wingnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2018, 08:22 AM   #2

We plug in while in storage. Even a 15 or 20 amp circuit will keep it topped off, just be sure there aren't a bunch of other things running on that same circuit.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:29 AM   #3

I use a battery disconnect switch if parked for more than a day left disconnected all winter motorhome never forgot anything !
Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyman View Post
I use a battery disconnect switch if parked for more than a day left disconnected all winter motorhome never forgot anything !
Good to know. ..
Old 05-23-2018, 01:04 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
On my MH, I hit the disconnect switches. No problems. On my truck and toad that sit in the barn for 6 months at a time, I bought one of those little battery minders and leave it plugged in..
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnuts View Post
How do you cope with f53 chassis battery drain while stored ...

I have heard of guys pulling the negative battery wire via quick disconnect, some use solar chargers to keep memory

There was a post awhile back where one owner let his chassis battery die and computer lost all memory, he said it was shifting funny and overall just not running right until all systems updated. Which took quite some time

the manufacturers left out a chassis battery cutoff switch on purpose because of memory loss

What do you guys use..

I just purchased a 5 watt solar charger. Some say it won't work were others say it will. ..may look into a 10 amp unit if it doesn't work
On our 2001 Adventurer we only had a house battery disconnect. I installed a chassis battery cutoff switch from Flaming River like this.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/f...CABEgJzHPD_BwE

I installed it in the battery compartment under the entry steps. It took about an hour. We left the motorhome up to 4 months at a time and never had a dead battery.

Our 2013 Adventurer has both a house and chassis battery disconnect switch. We have left this motorhome in storage over 3 months at a time and never had a battery problem.

Even though the batteries in both motorhomes had been disconnected for long periods we have never had any problems due to computer memory loss. The computer defaults to the original settings. It shifts, runs, accelerates and does everything else just like it did when it was brand new.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:32 PM   #7

Thanks everyone for your input. ..

Picked up the motorhome a little while ago from storage, fully expecting to give her a jump and she fired right up...been about 5 weeks

I think I will go with the battery disconnect switch. ..
Old 05-23-2018, 07:09 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't disconnect my engine battery while in storage ( 2-3 months outside) and it starts up and it is the original put in in Oct 2011 and now have 60,000 miles on my motorhome.
But it is time to replace that battery as I do live in Arizona and it gets very hot. LOL.
Can you say 114 degrees on a bad summer day?
Maybe I just got a great Ford Battery at the factory.
IggyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:39 PM   #9

We store our coach on our driveway connected to 50 am shore power, however I turn my converter off and my 110w solar panel keeps batteries charged.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:04 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Solar Battery Tender

I use the battery disconnect switch for the house batteries.

For the chassis battery i use THIS solar battery tender.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-05-24 at 7.57.45 AM.png
Views:	131
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	204044  
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:15 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our 2010 Winnebago has both house & chassis disconnect. When I use them during storage, the memory gets erased. The radio stations gone and, the shift points in the computer need to be re-learned. Takes a a bit of driving. The only thing I have noticed that do not disconnect is the power to the steps.
Dan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:16 AM   #12

I put on a couple solar panels and they work great. I know a guy who uses one of those solar chargers that plug into the cigarette lighter for his F350 with dual batteries and he says it works great.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:03 AM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just be prepared to reprogram radio and lose any engine codes, and maybe even shift/ drive a little funny?
Old 05-25-2018, 04:17 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Never had a problem with my 2014. Disconnect the house battery via salesman's switch, engine battery remains on line for months...no problems, starts right up.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, chassis, f53