Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2018, 10:43 PM   #15

The law says the final manufacturer (body builder in the motor homes), has the authority to designate the final model year. There can be many reasons why the builder would not want to use a newer date. The big one I can think of is emissions. If a MH builder had a bunch of chassis that were built in 2006, and he built the final MH in 2007, he could chose 2006, or 2007. The chassis already met the emissions for 2006, but if he chose to use 2007, he would have to do a ton of engine and exhaust work, to get the rig to meet 2007 emissions. I'm sure there are also many other reasons why the older date may be beneficial. Even for the buyer.

In states that base the registration cost by the age, starting out with a MH that is already a year old, can save some money in the long run.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2018, 11:04 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My MH was built in 2007 on a 2007 chassis. I bought it in 2007. It is a 2008 model and is registered as a 2008. No different than buying a 2008 car in September of 2007.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by avfordguy View Post
The CHASSIS vin can be found on the brake booster support to the left of the brake booster it is stamped on the bracket

I thought the chassis vin was the first several numerals of the overall vin.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:31 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by avfordguy View Post
The CHASSIS vin can be found on the brake booster support to the left of the brake booster it is stamped on the bracket
That's fine and I think the chassis VIN is not difficult to locate. However, where is the completed motorhome VIN that is supposed to determine the year shown on the title?
Old 06-20-2018, 07:26 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
That's fine and I think the chassis VIN is not difficult to locate. However, where is the completed motorhome VIN that is supposed to determine the year shown on the title?

I don't know if it is on the vehicle like with cars (maybe the placard next to the drivers seat?) but it is on all of your paperwork that came with the MH, including the title you would have gotten from the seller in a used purchase.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
.. . .but it is on all of your paperwork that came with the MH, including the title you would have gotten from the seller in a used purchase.
No it's not. As I stated, it's not on any paperwork I've found and it's not on the title. Only the chassis VIN is listed on any paperwork and on the title. And the chassis is a 2006. That's why my 2007 motorhome is titled as a 2006. I was hoping someone could tell me where the manufacturer of the motorhome (not chassis) would likely place the completed vehicle VIN.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:10 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Our incomplete manufacturer sticker and the WGO serial number sticker are on the wall beside the drivers seat.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:25 PM   #22

Quote:
No it's not. As I stated, it's not on any paperwork I've found and it's not on the title. Only the chassis VIN is listed on any paperwork and on the title. And the chassis is a 2006. That's why my 2007 motorhome is titled as a 2006. I was hoping someone could tell me where the manufacturer of the motorhome (not chassis) would likely place the completed vehicle VIN.

The manufacturer does not issue another VIN, the chassis VIN is carried through. The manufacturer can designate what the final year is. So you have a VIN saying one year, and the manufacturer via the MCO saying another. The original DMV clerk would have had to enter the year from the MCO.

Remember, the final manufacturer can designate the year.

In your case, I think 2007 was the new diesel emissions, and your 2006 chassis would not likely meet them.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:50 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As I posted before, chassis built in 2007, MH bought in 2007, MH is 2008 model year.

Winnebago assigned this serial number on mine 10M91J25XXXX

Chassis VIN 5B4MGF7G2XXXXXXXX

My RV is registered with the VIN as a 2008

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
As I posted before, chassis built in 2007, MH bought in 2007, MH is 2008 model year.

Winnebago assigned this number on mine 10M91J25XXXX

Ok, I stand corrected, some manufacturers do assign a new VIN. Now how about answering hohenwald48's question as to where the MH VIN can be found, since you are the first to see one.

My sisters 97 bago uses the chassis VIN.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:18 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The number Winnebago provides is not a VIN. It is just the number Winnebago uses to identify the house portion of the RV. They call it the serial number. That number is not used for registration purposes, at least not in California.

Winnebago has a placard on the wall by the drivers seat and a decal outside by the entry door with the info. I don't know where other manufacturers post their labels.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:59 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

Winnebago assigned this serial number on mine 10M91J25XXXX

Quote:
The number Winnebago provides is not a VIN. It is just the number Winnebago uses to identify the house portion of the RV. They call it the serial number. That number is not used for registration purposes, at least not in California.

Winnebago has a placard on the wall by the drivers seat and a decal outside by the entry door with the info. I don't know where other manufacturers post their labels.
Found this is true. WGO issues and uses the serial number for their records to identify the parts in your particular coach. CS will ask for the serial number when you talk to them about parts or any questions you might ask.

We had an issue for a short time with our insurance company as they use the VIN to identify the year. At least the agent we were in contact with. The registration was correct but the insurance listed a year earlier.

Both the registration and insurance card showed the same VIN but different years. Not sure how that would have played out if stopped by the police but the issue was rectified and now both documents are the same.

Here is a link to the identification system WGO uses.

https://winnebagoind.com/resources/m..._Motorhome.pdf
Old 07-11-2018, 07:05 PM   #27

Quote:
I purchased my 2004 Fleetwood Fiesta Class A from a seller who listed it as a 2004. The title also showed it as a 2004. The Ford owner's manual and Fleetwood owner's manual that came with it both show it as a 2004. When I called Fleetwood to get a wiring diagram, they asked for the FIN #. When I gave it to them, they told me it was a 2005. I debated that with them for awhile, but they insisted that it was incorrectly titled in CA, where it was first sold.

Inside my wardrobe closet are two placards from Fleetwood that cover everything from various weight ratings to color of fabrics, trim, and graphics. On both of these placards, it is listed as a 2005. The Federal Certification Tag next to the driver's seat only lists a vehicle manufacturing date of 2004, not a completion date by Fleetwood.

So, I guess I bought a 2005 for the price of a 2004, 7 years ago, but with 93,000 miles on the odometer now, that probably retails out to a $63.00 difference if I was selling it, but I am not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00771.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	295.6 KB
ID:	210593  
Old 09-07-2018, 10:34 PM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Both Class A I’ve had were built on prior year chassis, and titled on the following year that the coach was completed on.
Hurricane Owner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, ford, led