RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2019, 07:01 PM   #1

How long to wait to tow on new motor?

Will be getting the new F-53 chassis with my April 2020 order of the Newmar Bay Star 3401 and will be doing a factory pick in Indiana. Question is should I fly down and pick up the coach or drive the 2014 Jeep Sahara unlimited to the factory and tow it home to either New York or Vermont with the brand new motor? Jeep weights about 4500 pounds and the coach will be on the 26,000 chassis. Thanks in advance for any input

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2019, 07:11 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Have not read nor heard about any breaking in period on todays motors. Yes I understand years ago that was not true. MY Dad had a 1958 Buick that buzzed if he went over 55 MPH for the first X number of miles.

Todays oils are so much better and I guess breaking in an engine is just driving it. Yes rings still need to wear in to seat properly but nothing special is done. I'm sure others may have different opinions.

Old 11-05-2019, 07:30 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
I would call Newmar and Ford and ask them what they think. Just a guess, but I'm betting they still have a break in period. Even with the great oil lubrication we have today, I would still think that a new engine would have some close tolerance metal until break in. Since this could be a warranty issue? Good luck.
hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:44 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlegaleagle View Post
Will be getting the new F-53 chassis with my April 2020 order of the Newmar Bay Star 3401 and will be doing a factory pick in Indiana. Question is should I fly down and pick up the coach or drive the 2014 Jeep Sahara unlimited to the factory and tow it home to either New York or Vermont with the brand new motor? Jeep weights about 4500 pounds and the coach will be on the 26,000 chassis. Thanks in advance for any input
A friend of mine got a new motor under the warranty and he was told by the dealer not tow for the 1st 1000 miles. I have not seen that in print, but, that is what he was told. He has had 2 motors under warranty, both told him not to tow for 1000 miles.
inlineskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:47 PM   #5

If you lived in the mountains, would you leave it on the flat grounds for A few hundred miles ? I think not.

Imagine a brand new tractor, driving around without a trailer, a bus without passengers.

Hitch up the toad and hit the road. Varry your speed once in awhile and work the drive train.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:53 PM   #6

Rexhall Owners Group
Form the owners manual. Do not tow for first 1,000 miles.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...-US_052018.pdf

Suggests finding a commercial way to pick up your RV.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:56 PM   #7

Bought a new 2017 express van the owners manual said dont tow for he first 500 miles and dont go over 50 or sixty for the next 500 miles.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:10 PM   #8

It's not just the motor...it's the entire drive train, including the brakes. 1000 miles before towing seems to be today's default.

That said, MANY folks tow before 1000 miles without any notable problems. If it were me, I'd drive around for a few hours without the tow, then hook up, and tow "decreasingly easy" for the first 1000 miles. Vary speed. Accelerate and brake EASY.

...and if anybody pitches the "drive it like you stole it" approach, ignore them!
LegacyFB38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:40 PM   #9

You guys are all full of great information and opinions.

The 2019 manual applies I believe applies to the now old V-10 motor. The new F-53 chassis will have the 7.3...yeah with the old school rings around the pistons which back in the day for me (late 70's) was part of my rebuild of the old 351 cleveland in my fastback Ford Mustang, with chrome side pipes, 10 inch deep craigers in the rear, 3/4 cam, hood scope with duel quads, traction bars and the fist grip 4 speed manual shifter...lol. Rubber in all 4 baby! Those were the days

Anyway, since my daughter, son-in-law and three (3) grandkids live in Waynesville, Ohio I will drive the jeep there and have them drive me and the Golden Retrievers to the factory and pick up the coach without the jeep and head back to them.

Plan is to stay there for a month or so anyway before heading back to the factory for whatever issues or add ons I may need done. After the factory I will then hook up the jeep to tow after returning there to head home One less thing to figure out...thanks

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:35 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
You know that tow hitch rating is 5000 lbs. That does not mean that you can safely tow that weight. Your specs are as follows: (verify on the sticker in your door jamb or drivers area)

model hitch tongue F/A R/A GVWR GCWR
3401 5000 500 9000 15500 4000 30000 all lbs.

What this means is you need to fully load your rig as if you are going on a trip. First stop is fuel and a CAT scale. Weigh the rig fully loaded including you and passengers and subtract the weight from the GCWR 30000 whichever applies in your case. The difference is what you can legally and safely tow. Also note Ford insists that anything towed over 1500 lbs needs supplemental brakes.

As for your break-in question? Follow the manual which I expect you and all perspective RV drivers to read and understand before getting behind the wheel. Keep in mind this is an RV and not a stripped chassis. It is already loaded and towing should not make much difference if any imo. Good luck and happy camping!

Yes I'm retired law enforcement.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:10 AM   #11

I wonder if the guys that deliver them to the dealers don't tow a car. How do they return to Indiana (or wherever)?
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:21 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
I wonder if the guys that deliver them to the dealers don't tow a car. How do they return to Indiana (or wherever)?

Yup, I was thinking the same thing.

Chances are, depending on where the RV was manufactured in relation to the dealer, there is over 1000 miles on the odometer when an new motorhome is picked up.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:11 AM   #13

Rexhall Owners Group
Sorry about the 2019 manual reference, didn't realize you were getting a 2020 chassis. Just for grins I checked the 2020 manual and the recommendation is still 1,000 miles before towing. Your better safe than sorry approach certainly won't hurt.

Since the f53 chassis doesn't have an enclosed cab when going to the RV manufacturer I'm guessing they are rail deliveries. Can't speak to what happens when the finished RV goes to the dealer, but the few delivery drivers I've encountered weren't towing a car. Returning home method was up to them.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:33 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlegaleagle View Post
Was in Napanee the week of October 14th to pick up my new 2020 Canyon Star. We road tested it twice, & put about 150 miles on it! Took it to the Ford Dealer to have Koni shocks, Saf-T-Plus, & Ultra Trac rear track bar installed, along with Sumo front springs. While there asked the Service Manager about towing back to Virginia. He said, vary speeds for the first couple hundred miles, & it should be fine.

The results.....770 mile back to Virginia, towing a 2017 Terrain through the mountains of West Virginia & Virginia! It performed flawlessly, did not use a drop of oil, the "tow/haul" mode worked well, & other than some engine noise on a couple of mountains, was very happy!

Will resolve the noise issue with Dyna-Mat & Dyna-Max insulation & sound deadening material, and just installed the Ultra RV "Ultra Tune" to help with the performance & shifting!

Best of Luck, enjoy the great experience at Napanee with your "CPU", & enjoy the trip home...towing or not!

Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow