Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2013, 07:31 PM   #1

how to repair a chevrolet

Overheard a fella at auto zone tell a guy that was complaining that his chevy cutaway was overheating,he told him it was a simple fix...just remove the radiator cap..... and drive a ford under it! Everyone had a good laugh.
tguid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2013, 08:57 PM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
LOL ~ anyone knows that radiator cap won't fit on a Ford rad!
Jagtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagtech View Post
LOL ~ anyone knows that radiator cap won't fit on a Ford rad!
Throw that cap away the Ford will have a better one anyway..........

Mike
Lincolnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:43 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Friend has spent $5000 on his GMC chassis, I've spent $0 on my Ford.....
Old 05-26-2013, 02:44 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have owned Chevrolet trucks for many years, this is my first Ford.....time will tell
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
This may be opening a can of worms but the service manager at Ford, who is a good friend of mine told me that since its beginnings the Ford V-10 has had very few major engine failures due to something other than the customers failure to perform regular engine service. I don't always believe what a person says just because they told me but he had no reason to lie. I was not looking to buy a Ford at that time. We already had a 1999 DS with the Ford V-10 in it and we were not having any problems. I have not heard anything bad about the V-10. Spark plugs did cause some problems but that's been fixed.
Are all you V-10 owners familiar with the engine coolant fail safe system??? Has anybody had to test it???

TeJay
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
A friend has a Buick SUN with about 90,000 easy, well maintained miles. The tranny is toast ($4K), the water pump has already gone out and she is looking a close to $10,000 in future repairs if it has the normal problems for this model...with this kind of history, she wants another Buick. Some people never learn...but her Dad always drove a Buick.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:45 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
wife&I are retire ford worker I am telling you they are the best.Our personal trucks never had aproblem even My 2004 f350 king ranch 6.0 sold that 5yrs ogo with 170,000 miles on her never one problem even pull 5th wheel 13000 lb new owner still has that truck not sure of miles on it but still running strong.
aschuh53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
FORD

First On Race Day
Found On the Road Dead
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
FORD

First On Race Day
Found On the Road Dead
Fix or Repair Daily???
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:37 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
All manufacturers have made some good and some bad. I would never commit to one manufacturer just because of my Dad or what I owned in the past or what others have said they did. Having 35 years experience teaching auto repairs and witnessing what Detroit did in the 70's-80's I will say that the foreign manufacturers got it right as we entered the computer age. They took quality to a new level as compared to Detroit. Detroit didn't want to do it and only did it when fuel prices soared and the MPG issue entered the mix. Detroit had to compete and that's when they began to change. To give you an idea of how they thought or didn't think let me ask this question. Who made the Corvette ZR-1 aluminum motor for the Corvette back in the 80's??? OMC aluminum outboard manufacturers out of OK. Detroit didn't know how to deal with the aluminum issues in its early stages. They tried with the Vega but failed.

Here's another factual story that happened last year at an assembly plant in Detroit. There was an issue with clutch plates made by a supplier on the F-150 6-speed transmission. If used hard at around 150,000 miles the paper material used to make the clutch plates would begin to come apart. To prevent a recall later around 40,000 transmission were rebuilt at Fords expense at the factory. Those that got out were also recalled and repaired. It took 3-5 months of extra shift work to get it done since they still had regular production to deal with. That also included overseas shipments of the transmission as well. Ford didn't have to go to that extent because it probably would have not really involved that many transmissions in the end. That's the story I got from a friend who is an engineer at the plant and was very involved in the work.

I also like the fact that Ford didn't take any of the stimulus $$$ either. Also I've worked in those plants. I was appalled at how lazy and unproductive the workers were. I could work circles around any that I worked with and did until the union told me to stop making them look bad. There have always been union issues but some of that is gone because of the economy and the workers wanting to keep their jobs.

I believe Ford has it right when it comes to the V-10.

TeJay
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:45 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So how to repair a GM Product? Don't buy their junk in the first place. Had a 02 Deville, in 4.5 years had 33 problems, and lost $35k at trade in. Accord replacement has had no problems in 6 years.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:02 AM   #13

My 2006 Ford V10 failed at 17,700 miles. I can tell you that the engine was serviced more often than required.

My first engine was replaced and the replacement engine failed before it left the repair shop. On the 2nd engine the cam shaft sensor on the inside of the engine came apart spreading metal pieces throughout the engine. Ford said pull it and put in a third engine.

I'm on my third V10 in this MH. All is good now, knock on wood.

Safe Travels.

JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:50 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
A friend has a Buick SUN with about 90,000 easy, well maintained miles. The tranny is toast ($4K), the water pump has already gone out and she is looking a close to $10,000 in future repairs if it has the normal problems for this model...with this kind of history, she wants another Buick. Some people never learn...but her Dad always drove a Buick.

Ken
My parents always had Buicks too, my first car was ('62 Special) a Buick as was my third ('69 Special GS 400). Never had many problems with them but that was back in 1964 when I got the first one.
Now we have only Honda's after my wife's bad luck with her Ford.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair