Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2019, 05:00 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How to Replace V-10 in F-53?

Has any one in fact see it done?

My 8.1 GM engine blew in my Workhorse chassis and they changed it through the drivers door. Still they gouged me for $14,000

Now most of us have no drivers door. Some say they drop the front axle and drop the engine out the bottom.

I would almost think taking the windshield out (even if/ when they break it) would be easier, maybe cheaper than dropping the front axle.

What say you guys who have actually see this done? Out the top or the bottom?

BTW I read on another forum that a guy with a 2015 , blew spark plug (s) and dropped in and destroyed the engine.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2019, 05:24 AM   #2

Based on what I have seen, I would think out the bottom would be the best way due to length of the motor and the generally small doghouse opening. I think another issue will actually getting ahold of a replacement since the V10 is no longer made and Ford is not rebuilding them.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:22 AM   #3

[QUOTE= I think another issue will actually getting ahold of a replacement since the V10 is no longer made and Ford is not rebuilding them.[/QUOTE] This is not my understanding. As far as I understand the V10 is still being used in the Class As. I assume you can buy one.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:52 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I haven't replaced mine, but have had it tore down pretty far. As I was doing the work on it, I specifically looked at: " How would I change the engine, if I decided to do this".

On mine, I think I could do it this way:

1) raise the front end as far as it would go, maybe need to disconnect the shocks and sway bar to get the front axle to hang down as far as it will go. NOTE - it wouldn't be that much more to drop the entire front axle and get it out of the way.

2) Remove the dog house cover, use 4x4 to build a frame/support structure inside the MH.

3) support the engine from above with chains and the 4x4 structure built in step 2.

4) Remove the transmission from the engine. NOTE - If I drop the front axle, I would be able to remove the engine/tranny without separating them.

5) With the engine supported in step 3, remove the lower engine mount / cross member.

6) Using jacks on rollers from below, support the engine, slowly lower it as you pull it to the rear as it clears the axle.

NOTE - It may be helpful and buy more clearance if the top of the engine if the intake manifold is removed. (you might also remove the cylinder heads)

You can see what I needed to do to fix broken exhaust studs. During this process, I explored replacing the entire short block.

F53 Repairing broken exhaust manifold studs – 1999 Southwind 35S

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:58 AM   #5

Never had it done but at my age the solution would be buy a new rig.

Not in my cards to do it myself. 14 k sounds like a deal to me.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:40 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've been trying to post a pic of my engine replacement from photobucket but it's not posting so I'll see if this posts

I posted these to IRV back in 2010 , but, I don't know why they wont post now.
Denver, Colorado
Old 05-22-2019, 02:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
I've been trying to post a pic of my engine replacement from photobucket but it's not posting so I'll see if this posts

If you can still download from your Photobucket account just do that and save it to your computer. Then attach the downloaded file to your post using "Manage attachments" below.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:22 PM   #8

Quote:

PhotoBucket changed their terms and policies. They no longer allow hot links in forum posts.

Also iRV2 now blocks links to PB, IIRC to avoid future posts where images disappear when the 3rd party host goes out of biz or changes terms of service.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
This is not my understanding. As far as I understand the V10 is still being used in the Class As. I assume you can buy one.

There was a recent thread where someone needed a motor and was told by Ford that the crate motor is no longer available so any F53 chassis’s are depleting stock for new builds. (I thought I read the plant has already switched over to the new V8 replacement.) He was having a hard time sourcing a motor.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
There was a recent thread where someone needed a motor and was told by Ford that the crate motor is no longer available so any F53 chassis’s are depleting stock for new builds. (I thought I read the plant has already switched over to the new V8 replacement.) He was having a hard time sourcing a motor.
That guy was later told by Ford that they had 9 on hand. I can't imagine buying at 2019 F-53 and then Ford saying no more replacements. With there being so many V-10's in service, I suspect there will be rebuilds available for many years. I will call Fred Jones who rebuilds V-10 for Ford and ask them if they have any scoop but I would worry about not being able to find one.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
That guy was later told by Ford that they had 9 on hand. I can't imagine buying at 2019 F-53 and then Ford saying no more replacements. With there being so many V-10's in service, I suspect there will be rebuilds available for many years. I will call Fred Jones who rebuilds V-10 for Ford and ask them if they have any scoop but I would worry about not being able to find one.

I don’t think getting a rebuilt will be an issue either. I was just surprised that he was having an issue locating a new motor. If it’s a warranty issue I would want a new motor and not a rebuilt. Sounds like this might be an issue for any new owners that have the rare motor failure requiring replacement while Ford transitions to the new V8.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:42 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just moved some pics from photobucket to Amazon and wanted to see if this works.

Anywho, a drivers door comes in handy for more ways than 1

Why won't the picture show up? It's there when I preview

Has Irv banned all pictures?
Denver, Colorado
Old 05-23-2019, 10:58 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Drop the axel. Not a big deal once you have the wheels off. Just unhook the brake lines, ABS wires, drag link and pull the u-bolts off. A good tranny jack with a bolt-on bracket to hold the axel upright will be needed.
Support the frame rails with good sized blocking about in line with the rear of the transmission.
After you pull the manifolds, it should drop down, tranny and all.
Have fun!
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:36 AM   #14

Quote:
I just moved some pics from photobucket to Amazon and wanted to see if this works.

Anywho, a drivers door comes in handy for more ways than 1

Why won't the picture show up? It's there when I preview

Has Irv banned all pictures?
Trying sumpin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16WcWKCFScyqYQKk2dLJiw.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	246972  

Tags
ace, replace