Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2018, 09:57 PM   #1

I would like to mount some fold down table brackets

I would like to mount a pair of fold dowm table brackets to the wall between the passenger seat and the recliner in our Boulder 31w. I have seen pics of our model with the table installed, must have been an option as I see no evidence it was ever installed on ours.

Plan is to make a nice table from oak and use the fold down brackets to stow it when not in use (by knitting supplies and ice coffee, that’s what makes her world go around and I plan to accommodate that.

The question is can anything be mounted to the exterior wall? If so what kind of fasteners are required?

Thanks
Happy knitter’s husband
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2018, 06:59 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
EricV,

Over the years I've attached hundreds of things to walls using this method I'll describe later. The RV walls are a bit different. They are usually 1/8" or 3/16" Luan or some type of man made plywood material. Are they strong enough to handle attaching a folding table? Yes!! If attached correctly.

Some of the RV manufacturers tell us that when attaching the heavier objects to walls they place thin metal plates in the wall during the manufacturing process to strengthen those attaching points.

When you look at the typical booth dinette the flat surface is supported on the aisle side by folding legs setting directly down onto the floor and the inside is setting on a wooden strip attached to the wall. The pressure is at right angles or straight down the wall and down the legs.

If you attached your wall support correctly and have your aisle legs the same as a booth dinette you'll have no trouble.

How to attach to the wall. I typically use the plastic, tapered round wall anchors. You drill the hole larger and when the screw is inserted it expands to hold the anchor in the wall. I first drill the larger hole and tap it into the hole with epoxy (5-minute) on it. Let that set up and then screw the sheet metal screws in also with epoxy.

If you use a piano hinge for your folding table just anchor a piece of nice wood to the wall using the method above then attach your hinge to the piece of wood with the legs folded and stored under it.

I have a 3/4" thick wooden shelf next to my drivers seat attached to the wall with 4 wall anchors. It's been there for 4 years and is just fine. I keep all my stuff like coffee, mugs, pens, food, gum, phone, water bottles, sunglasses, keys,remotes etc.

The most critical aspect of this install is to have the legs on the aisle side pointing straight down. If you used a triangle with the legs against the wall that changes the angle so it could pull away from the wall instead of at right angles. I think you get my drift.