RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2016, 10:50 PM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Stuart your front axle is rated 9000# rear axle 17,500#

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...16_F53_F59.pdf

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2016, 01:48 AM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post

I was stating actual scale weight readings, I know that I have a lot of excess capacity

Stuart W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:02 AM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post

Thanks for the link,Great info!
Old 01-06-2016, 11:21 AM   #46

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Stuart,

Along with the other opinions... I'll give you mine.

On my 2011, 22k chassis, 242" wheel base, my first drive with the motorhome it was empty and I was simply getting it home from the dealer. About 20 miles into the 275 mile ride home I realized I was going put some work and money into the handling and suspension. So after reading tons of info on several forums, this is what I did.
1. Month 1, Get actual weight and adjust tire pressure. Somewhat better....
2. Month 3, Get front end alignment. No improvement.
3. Month 4, Installed a rear trac-bar and Koni FSD shocks. HUGE improvement from wind, passing trucks, and road bumps!!
4. Month 12, Installed 5 Star Tune. Really helped with shifting, but you shouldn't have that problem with your 6 speed.
5. Month 13, Tried the CHF, and then removed, and then tried again, and removed. IMHO, it made the ride more harsh.
6. Month 16, Installed Safe-T-Plus stabilizer. No noticeable difference except peace of mind in case of blow out.
-Took 6,300 mile trip coast to coast. Drove okay, but still missing something.
7. Month 40, Front Sumo Solo springs. WOW, another huge difference!! My wife and I liked them so much and it was such a noticeable improvement I bought the rears and installed them too. I finally, truly, enjoy driving my motorhome and feel completely relaxed and in control. I still use the suggested speed on corners but I feel so much more in control now.

2 months ago I recommend the Sumo solo's to my BIL for his stock 18k chassis. He installed and said it was day and night improvement and he is no longer afraid to use his drink holder. That's huge praise coming from him!

Looking back at the best bang for my buck, my short list and opinion is this:
1. Check and adjust your tire pressure.
2. Get good alignment.
3. Install rear trac-bar.
4. Install Sumo springs. Either Solo or Maxim. (Solo's did it for me)
5. Only if ride is still too harsh (bumps, expansion joints, pot holes), Koni FSD shocks.

If you have any questions on any of these feel free to PM me.

Good luck, and please come back here and let us know what you did and how well you liked the things you did!!
Z714X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:09 PM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z714X4 View Post
Stuart,

Along with the other opinions... I'll give you mine.

On my 2011, 22k chassis, 242" wheel base, my first drive with the motorhome it was empty and I was simply getting it home from the dealer. About 20 miles into the 275 mile ride home I realized I was going put some work and money into the handling and suspension. So after reading tons of info on several forums, this is what I did.
1. Month 1, Get actual weight and adjust tire pressure. Somewhat better....
2. Month 3, Get front end alignment. No improvement.
3. Month 4, Installed a rear trac-bar and Koni FSD shocks. HUGE improvement from wind, passing trucks, and road bumps!!
4. Month 12, Installed 5 Star Tune. Really helped with shifting, but you shouldn't have that problem with your 6 speed.
5. Month 13, Tried the CHF, and then removed, and then tried again, and removed. IMHO, it made the ride more harsh.
6. Month 16, Installed Safe-T-Plus stabilizer. No noticeable difference except peace of mind in case of blow out.
-Took 6,300 mile trip coast to coast. Drove okay, but still missing something.
7. Month 40, Front Sumo Solo springs. WOW, another huge difference!! My wife and I liked them so much and it was such a noticeable improvement I bought the rears and installed them too. I finally, truly, enjoy driving my motorhome and feel completely relaxed and in control. I still use the suggested speed on corners but I feel so much more in control now.

2 months ago I recommend the Sumo solo's to my BIL for his stock 18k chassis. He installed and said it was day and night improvement and he is no longer afraid to use his drink holder. That's huge praise coming from him!

Looking back at the best bang for my buck, my short list and opinion is this:
1. Check and adjust your tire pressure.
2. Get good alignment.
3. Install rear trac-bar.
4. Install Sumo springs. Either Solo or Maxim. (Solo's did it for me)
5. Only if ride is still too harsh (bumps, expansion joints, pot holes), Koni FSD shocks.

If you have any questions on any of these feel free to PM me.

Good luck, and please come back here and let us know what you did and how well you liked the things you did!!
z714x4 Thank you for the very helpful and concise account of your modifications I found it very informative.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:22 PM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
Ok I made some decisions today based on all of your input: I for sure am going to re-weigh all 4 corners and ADJ the tire pressure accordingly (based on my old numbers Im as much as 30 PSI over in the front and 20 PSI over in the rear, I ordered the SuperSteer Rear trac bar and the Sumo Maxis front springs. I want to try this and then if needed my next move will be the Rear Maxis Sumo springs and then Koni shocks if also needed. Thank you so much for all of your input
Old 01-06-2016, 11:09 PM   #49

I don't think you will be disappointed.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:07 AM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Front Sumo Maxis =. $664.56
SuperSteer rear trac bar= b. $463.88
Total $1128 .44
Rear Sumo springs would be approx $545 if needed
Old 01-07-2016, 06:52 AM   #51

If you only had $1500 to spend on handling what would you buy?

We bought a 2015 Winnebago Vista 35F F53 Chasis this year and asked the same exact question as you. Looked at air bags and trac bars as well. Ultimately decided to go the Blue Ox TigerTrac and TruCenter system. Just got it back last week. Made a huge difference eliminating tail swag and stabilizing the rig when windier conditions occur ( naturally and semi blow by). Stabilizing the rig was paramount for my wife to feel secure when driving on the interstate or making turns. She would not drive the rig without stabilizing. You can buy the setup on Amazon.com for what looks to be the lowest price offered. Looks easy to install as well. Although I did have mine professionally installed in about 1.5 to 2 hours. The parts (TigerTrac, TruCenter and bracket) should cost around $1600.00 then add labor, if needed.
gmccash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:31 AM   #52

Check on etrailer.com for the best price.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 06:43 PM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
Roadmaster RSSA vs Safe t Steer stabilizer ?

Does anyone have experience with the Roadmaster RSSA steering stabilizer? It is about 1/2 the price of the Safe T Steer and claims to do the same thing
Old 01-07-2016, 06:58 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jergeod View Post
Check on etrailer.com for the best price.

That is where Amazon.com supplied my Blue Ox items from.
gmccash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:07 AM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
Does anyone have experience with the Roadmaster RSSA steering stabilizer? It is about 1/2 the price of the Safe T Steer and claims to do the same thing
I have the Roadmaster RSSA steering stablizer on my 2016 bounder with the roadmaster front sway bar (part# 1138-140, 1 3/4 in). Unless you are getting the one that has the driver adjustment box you can use to actually change the steering while driving, I think they are all very much the same and have very similar reviews from users. I have no complaints on my steering stabilizer and it seems to do exactly what i expected it too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5639[1].jpg
Views:	43
Size:	279.6 KB
ID:	115995  
Fleetwood Bounder 35K 2016, Ford V-10, F53(2015 chassis),RayZor HD, Wineguard Dish SAT, Roadmaster -- steering Stabilizer, Front & rear Sway Bars, SCT 5 Star tuner, Tireminder TM66 TPMS, Banks Ram Air intake, EZE Tow Dolly
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:50 AM   #56

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2006 BOUNDER 35E
F53 26k
We bought at 19k miles & 8yo with horrible "FAT ALBERT" lean, sway then yaw!!
UNDER $1000.00
1. POLY BUSHED REAR SWAY BAR
2. BILSTEIN SHOCKS - all 4 corners (one or 2 OEM shocks were wet!)

Drives awesome - TPMS 100PSI cold all 6 Michelins

😎👍

Skino47 is offline   Reply With Quote