Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2016, 07:11 AM   #71

Ford Super Duty Owner
Dennis Dean,

That's what we are thinking as well. I didn't tell you the entire story. They wanted $2,700 for the pump install and another $4,200 for the tow plate, wiring harness, tow bar and internal brake system. That's very, very close to $7,000 to flat tow a vehicle that was SUPPOSED to be flat towed.

I can and have done the plate and wiring harness install before but now at 72 I'm not sure I really want to or sure my back can take that again. So no we are not going to do it. It's just stupid and we don't have the $$$$$. Also not a bit happy with Ford.

mel s,

More about the stock ride and handling. If your coach does not ride or handle as you believe it should your warranty will not cover any fixes or improvements that might keep it centered and allow it handle better in the winds. As long as no parts are defective they will simply tell you everything is within specs and you'll have to live with it.

Yes Ford could put a rear TB, better shocks, larger anti-sway bars, air bags, a steering stabilizer shock, maybe an air ride and a few other items and you'd be happy. They didn't and they won't until they have some competition forcing them to improve the F-53 chassis so they don't lose the market. You are aware that Ford is the only gas chassis in the market.

No amount of complaining will make them. Just ask "David-Oh" who has fought Ford, RV dealer and tire shops for 6 months regarding a vibration that nobody has been able to find and of course can't fix either. It's still with the lawyers. His unit was brand new.

TeJay
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2016, 10:31 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
mel s,
More about the stock ride and handling. If your coach does not ride or handle as you believe it should your warranty will not cover any fixes or improvements that might keep it centered and allow it handle better in the winds. As long as no parts are defective they will simply tell you everything is within specs and you'll have to live with it.
Yes Ford could put a rear TB, better shocks, larger anti-sway bars, air bags, a steering stabilizer shock, maybe an air ride and a few other items and you'd be happy. They didn't and they won't until they have some competition forcing them to improve the F-53 chassis so they don't lose the market. You are aware that Ford is the only gas chassis in the market.
No amount of complaining will make them. Just ask "David-Oh" who has fought Ford, RV dealer and tire shops for 6 months regarding a vibration that nobody has been able to find and of course can't fix either. It's still with the lawyers. His unit was brand new.
TeJay
TeJay
Judging by the many complaints, (and the many $$ reportedly spent on suspension modifications), I apparently "got lucky" when I bought my coach.

The ride and handling of my now 20 year old, 145k mile, coach with no suspension modifications has never been problematic.

However the 21' Winnebago Class C I owned prevosyly was a "white knuckle driver"... no matter what I did in an attempt to improve the handling.

Mel
'96 Safari Sahara, (on the Magnum Blue Streak chassis)
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:17 AM   #73

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes you are good to go if you got one that handled well. The sad part about it is Ford could improve the chassis with very little expense. In the scheme of things adding a rear TB, a bit better shock like the Bilsteins that are valved differently than the stock ones offered on the F-53 chassis, maybe some air bags front and rear slightly bigger SB's plus a steering shock might increase the cost $1,000. That's not bad.

Who knows why they don't do it?? Some tell me that the chassis is a platform for many different applications and they don't want to have to make changes for an RV chassis at the assembly plant. That I don't understand.

I worked at a Detroit assembly plant. We would hang up to 3-5 different motors on the line based on what was being built. Some were Chevy's, Pontiacs, V-8's, V-6's. If you're building an RV chassis you just select a different SB or shock, add a steering stabilizer and air bags. Seems easy to me.

TeJay
Old 01-23-2016, 04:37 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Stuart W
IMO no 2016 vehicle should need suspension improvements.
If something is wrong with the handling take it back to the dealer and have it fixed before the warranty expires.
Mel
'96 Safari
here's the real deal, when there's room for improvement..it doesn't mean something is wrong, as in..what if you didn't do nothing?? as thousands of others have done .. of all the motorhomes I have owned ... not a one was right in my world... and I always wanna take it to a better level... that's called evolution. .some people are never happy with things that can be improved...

what will happen if you don't do the chf???... nothing..what will happen if you don't change the shocks.... nothing...same with air intakes, headers, aluminum wheels.... nothing..

the fun part about this forum is you get to compare what you did and compare results with others...

lets say ford built a million f53's...what do you think the % of those is ,..that the owners never did a thing to but drive them where they wanted to go..

the finer you tune it the finer it has to be..

with ford being the only game... they don't loose customers to a better product... so you get what they give you....

freight liner is the same..they have the lower end DP market cornered, so they don't do anything...

that big straight axel DP is a under powered...ruff riding tank... but it is what it is and the % of those that just drive them and rave about them is high....don't fix what aint broke is what ford and freightliner say....

look what happened when work horse jumped into the gas chassis business... ford stepped up
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:13 AM   #75

Ford Super Duty Owner
LVR,

Thanks, Very well stated and a good read.

TeJay
Old 01-27-2016, 03:54 PM   #76

Winnebago Owners Club
This is a great thread with all types of info and opinions. I had the same questions as Stuart and have had concerns of safety first and better ride/handling second as all would agree. I installed the Safe T-plus, Roadmaster rear sway bar, Sumo springs on the rear, and Koni shocks. I don't get pushed around in winds and when passing big rigs like I used to. I don't get the sway the the misses didn't like (still some though, can't remove it all) and not as hard bumps down the road. I spent more than 1500 but overall I am satisfied. Proper Tire inflation is the main key of all and and I carry a portable compressor and check religiously. Thanks all
Old 01-27-2016, 11:30 PM   #77

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9quarz View Post
This is a great thread with all types of info and opinions. I had the same questions as Stuart and have had concerns of safety first and better ride/handling second as all would agree. I installed the Safe T-plus, Roadmaster rear sway bar, Sumo springs on the rear, and Koni shocks. I don't get pushed around in winds and when passing big rigs like I used to. I don't get the sway the the misses didn't like (still some though, can't remove it all) and not as hard bumps down the road. I spent more than 1500 but overall I am satisfied. Proper Tire inflation is the main key of all and and I carry a portable compressor and check religiously. Thanks all
Thanks for the info k9quarz, what are the stats on your rig?
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 03:12 PM   #78

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Bit the bullet

Well, I bit the bullet today. I went with Blue-OX sway bars front and rear, Koni FSD's and CentraMatics. I already have the Blue-Ox TrueCenter Steering control. Mind you it wasn't $1500.00 (or $2,100 Canadian with the ridiculous exchange these days) but it's not like you purchase these things every day.

I guess the Sani-con Macerator will have to wait for a year.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:38 PM   #79

Winnebago Owners Club
Cool Stats for Stuart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
Thanks for the info k9quarz, what are the stats on your rig?

18000 GVWR with approx 5840 for front axle and 10560 on rear axle loaded. I had each wheel weighed but that info is with rig which is in storage at the moment. 85 PSI for each tire all around. I could be more precise and will be when on a long road trip. I flat tow a 09 Mini Cooper JCW about 2700 Lbs. with a Blue Ox tow bar and everything is doing fine. Thinking of doing the CHF as others mentioned and just ordered the 5 star timing programer for the Ford V-10 specific.

Hope those were the stats you were inquiring about. Everything I've done is for safety and a smoother better ride than the stock ride. Hope to see you on the road.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:13 PM   #80

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hope those were the stats you were inquiring about. Everything I've done is for safety and a smoother better ride than the stock ride. Hope to see you on the road.[/QUOTE]
k9quarz, thank you for the info on your MH, helps to understand the improvements that you made.
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 05:29 AM   #81

Just reading this post made me think of my days of writing specs for trucks.

I think we are blaming Ford for chassis that were ordered by the MH manufactures.

I had on ocassion needed non standard chassis and was usually accommodated, within DOT specs.

Like TeJay said, its no big deal for Ford to upgrade any of the suspension components but someone has to ask them to and pay for it.

I believe Ford is building exactly what the MH manufactures want, the lowest cost chassis that can carry the weight of their installed components.

Just my thoughts.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:52 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Just reading this post made me think of my days of writing specs for trucks.

I think we are blaming Ford for chassis that were ordered by the MH manufactures.

I had on ocassion needed non standard chassis and was usually accommodated, within DOT specs.

Like TeJay said, its no big deal for Ford to upgrade any of the suspension components but someone has to ask them to and pay for it.

I believe Ford is building exactly what the MH manufactures want, the lowest cost chassis that can carry the weight of their installed components.

Just my thoughts.
I don't think it is that Ford is just building what the motorhome manufacturers want as much as it is a lack of competition at this time. Ford is the only game in town for a gas engine / chassis so they have very little motivation to invest any time or money in improvements.

I was pleased to see the move to the 6 speed tranny for 2016 but clearly that was a universal move for multiple applications not just motorhomes.
Notlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:57 AM   #83

Winnebago Owners Club
Not blaming Ford, I put my blame on our dumbernment Government who is letting the infrastructure deteriorate. Seems I can't drive more than 20 miles on pretty much any road without running over a pothole or wide ruts or other hazard causing an unsafe and "white knuckle" drive. When I get to a smooth, properly maintained stretch of road there is no cause for all the improvements or mods to the chassis or suspension and it's a pleasure to drive a rig as the manufacturer delivers. I pay a plethora of taxes and I don't think it's to much to ask for.

Just my opinion
Old 02-01-2016, 02:14 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9quarz View Post
Not blaming Ford, I put my blame on our dumbernment Government who is letting the infrastructure deteriorate. Seems I can't drive more than 20 miles on pretty much any road without running over a pothole or wide ruts or other hazard causing an unsafe and "white knuckle" drive. When I get to a smooth, properly maintained stretch of road there is no cause for all the improvements or mods to the chassis or suspension and it's a pleasure to drive a rig as the manufacturer delivers. I pay a plethora of taxes and I don't think it's to much to ask for.

Just my opinion
My biggest handling issue was the passing trucks pushing my MH around.

Can't blame the roads for that.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote