Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2016, 08:29 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
If you only had $1500 to spend on handling what would you buy?

I have a 2016 26k F53 and want to improve stability and cut down on sway, I have read many threads about: Sumo Springs, rear Trac Bars, Shocks, Sway bars and steering stabilizers on each thread someone states its the best improvement. What would you install on a $1500 budget (parts only) to make the most difference in sway and stability ?
I am aware of the CHF and looking for other ideas.
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2016, 08:44 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Stuart,

I'm still in the process of making a rear set of plates so I can adjust the CHF both front and rear so I can give myself the most sway control without going all the way to what the CHF does. I think one can set it a bit less than the full CHF position and still have good sway control.

Some have maintained that while the CHF gives better sway control it also increases the harshness of the ride. I'm not exactly sure of that just yet and that's why I'm making the adjustable plates for front and rear.

My adjustable settings will be 4. From stock to full CHF so I'll have 2 additional settings from which to choose. The adjustable plates are very easy to make and are part of the CHF thread. If you have any questions just ask. I'll post pictures when I get the rears done.

That MOD might cost you $50 to $100 depending on your tools and abilities. I first start with the CHF with adjustable plates and see how you like it. You have a front track bar (TB) so I'd add a rear TB. That you can do for less than $50. There's a thread on that as well.

Then I'd drive it some more and see what you think. My guess is that you will be very happy with the changes just with those two MODS and you'll have less than $150 invested.

Set the tire pressures as stated on the sticker inside the coach.

You do have poly bushings with that chassis so that's good.

TeJay
Old 01-04-2016, 09:48 PM   #3

Triple E Owners Club
if you only had $1500 to spend on handling what would you buy?

I would do the chf and a rear track bar for sure.

Then weigh all 4 corners and adjust the air pressure in your tires accordingly.

Then drive and reassess if any other mods are even required. Why spend more than you have to.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:57 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodK View Post

Then drive and reassess if any other mods are even required.
Rod what do you mean about adjusting the tire pressure accordingly?
Old 01-04-2016, 10:00 PM   #5

Do the CHF and add Sumo Maxis on all 4 corners. I'm glad I did.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:01 PM   #6

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
Rod what do you mean about adjusting the tire pressure accordingly?

You should be able to find a chart for your tires showing what pressure is minimum for the weight it is carrying. Weigh your coach fully loaded, then check the recommended psi on the chart. Most people add about 5psi on top just to be safe from overloading.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:20 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jergeod View Post
Do the CHF and add Sumo Maxis on all 4 corners. I'm glad I did.
I talked to the Sumo people today and they say that the Sumo's will reduce body lean/roll approx 25%, does this seem about right to you?
Old 01-04-2016, 10:27 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodK View Post

Then drive and reassess if any other mods are even required. Why spend more than you have to.
I talked to Blue Ox and they said that they do not have a fitment for the 2016 f53 rear trac bar yet. has anyone found one for a 2016 26,000 f53
Old 01-05-2016, 12:23 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Centramatic Wheel Balancers first, Rear Track Bar or Roadmaster Rear Sway Bar and a Steering Stabilizer. Actually weigh the coach as prepared for travel and adjust tire pressure as needed, remember same pressure on all wheels for same axle. Run it like this and see how it is, then go from there.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:24 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
. Actually weigh the coach as prepared for travel and adjust tire pressure as needed, remember same pressure on all wheels for same axle.
So right now I have run all six tires at 100 PSI cold as stated on the vehicle sticker. Do you have this chart that Rod referred to? And are you guys talking about exceeding the 100 PSI? Thanks for your help
Old 01-05-2016, 08:37 AM   #11

Rear track bar and Centramatics for sure. CHF is free. Shock or steering stabilizer next.

I am not a fan of Sumo's or Air bags for sway control. They will reduce sway, but so will adding more leafs. I think they could be a good solution if you carry heavy loads that cause you suspension to sag which is what helper springs are for, but the MH chassis was designed for a certain load (18k for mine) the springs already tuned for that load. Air bag you can adjust to desired stiffiness, Sumos you can't, you have to buy them as is and they cost more than air bags, but no maintenance.

Again though I think its better to adjust sway bars or get new sway bars for sway control, that's what they are for. Helpers springs will stiffen up your ride always, sway bars only stiffen up your ride when the axle articulates, such as in a lean or turn or off center bump.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:02 AM   #12

Quote:
I talked to the Sumo people today and they say that the Sumo's will reduce body lean/roll approx 25%, does this seem about right to you?
I would say yes, I'm seeing a much better ride because it has reduced the hard pounding every time you cross a bridge or concrete seams or pot holes. Body roll for me has improved way more than 25%. First I did the CHF and extended my original links so the original position of the swaybar was maintained this helped the body roll quite a bit. Then I installed the Sumo's and noticed and amazing difference in all aspects of ride and handling. The majority of people that have installed Sumo's have seen big pluses to their motorhomes, there have been a few that said they made their coach ride harder not sure how that can be but. On tires I found my max gross weight for the camper went to my Toyo inflation chart found my size tires And set all by the chart +5lbs which ended up being 85lbs front and rear for my 22.5s on a 20,500 lb chassis.
With these statements I am not telling anyone what to do to their campers only what has worked for me.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:35 AM   #13

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
. Actually weigh the coach as prepared for travel and adjust tire pressure as needed, remember same pressure on all wheels for same axle.

So right now I have run all six tires at 100 PSI cold as stated on the vehicle sticker. Do you have this chart that Rod referred to? And are you guys talking about exceeding the 100 PSI? Thanks for your help

What make , model and size of tire do you have?
Old 01-05-2016, 10:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jergeod View Post
there have been a few that said they made their coach ride harder not sure how that can be but.
Because your adding another spring between axle and frame and your not removing any leafs. Your leafs are still there a with the same stiffness, then your adding the Sumo stiffness to them, making for a total stiffer spring. This is why it reduces sway because it's HARDER to push the suspension down or pull it up (with Sumo Maxims).

Sway bars add to your leafs like a Sumo but they only engage when the axle is not level with the frame and do nothing when the axle moves up and down evenly. So your suspension is only stiffer under some circumstances but not always like a Sumo.

Maybe people prefer stiffer suspension on their MH or the factory leafs are too soft for the load, but the physics are pretty straight forward, your making your suspension harder by adding more springs.

If you want a softer ride you need to replace springs or stack them in series. The only system for motorhomes I have seen that does that is the Kelderman air system. They change out the leafs in the front for softer ones then add an air bag in parallel. In the rear they detach one end of the leaf from the frame and stack an airbag there so its in series.