Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2011, 07:23 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Air bags increase the spring rate and shocks control the dampening. What is the handling issue that you want to address?

Ken
My basic problem is harsh ride on rough roads, in particular cemment roads, bridges & cracks. It seems the there is very little forgiveness in the suspension! The overall handling has been fine. Passing trucks are not a problem, but cross winds are always a fight. I run my tire pressure at 82# all round (Goodyear G670). We travel light & don't carry much weight. I do tow a 2004 Jeep Liberty, but that should not affect ride.
countrypair is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2011, 07:58 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVJ58 View Post
Based on your experience and that of others it would appear what works for some doesn't work for all. I'm still pleased with the way mine turned out.

Happy trails
Roger that, I think that it all depends on just how close one is to being maxed out on the weight of their rig. On ours we are no where close, we travel light.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:30 AM   #17
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrypair View Post
My basic problem is harsh ride on rough roads, in particular cemment roads, bridges & cracks. It seems the there is very little forgiveness in the suspension! The overall handling has been fine. Passing trucks are not a problem, but cross winds are always a fight. I run my tire pressure at 82# all round (Goodyear G670). We travel light & don't carry much weight. I do tow a 2004 Jeep Liberty, but that should not affect ride.
This is also my problem. I run 75# in all the tires. Sometimes I think the TV will jump right out of it's place. I'm wondering what kind of lubricant you put between the front springs to achieve a softer ride. The $300+ spent on Koni FSD shocks were a waste of money. Still have the Monroe Magnum RV shocks on the rear.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:37 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyrice76 View Post
Any thought on the Sumo Springs?
I installed Sumo Springs on my Workhorse chassis and am very happy with the ride improvement. Full story in the Workhorse section.

2007 Forest River Lexington Ford E450 Chassis
bruceh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:10 AM   #19

For improving handling on the late model F-53, I really suggest you give this thread a read:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/cheap...fix-72335.html

I have no idea how to soften the ride. Adding Air Bags to the exising suspension would stiffen it, not make it softer. Air bags ARE springs and can be as firm or soft as needed. But ADDING spring rate to the existing springs can only make it ride harder.

Now if they were REPLACING the leaf springs....That could be another matter, especially if they also increased travel.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:18 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
What about an after market heavy duty sway bar setup like Hellwig? Went on first big trip today and the ride was not bad but I did not like it when big trucks would pass us. I would really like the MH to track better. It had similar sensation to towing a bumper pull trailer with bad sway.
troyrice76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:22 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
What about an after market heavy duty sway bar setup like Hellwig? Went on first big trip today and the ride was not bad but I did not like it when big trucks would pass us. I would really like the MH to track better. It had similar sensation to towing a bumper pull trailer with bad sway.
you just said it yourself TRACK BETTER which sounds like TRAC-BAR for the back of the coach
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:57 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
I found the Supersteer rear traction bar. Should I also look at changing out the stock sway bar to the Roadmaster inch and 3/4 bar also?
troyrice76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:51 AM   #23

Quote:
I found the Supersteer rear traction bar. Should I also look at changing out the stock sway bar to the Roadmaster inch and 3/4 bar also?

You should read the thread I pointed you too before purchasing sway bars for the Ford chassis.

Cheap Handling Fix

You just may be able to fix your problem for little or no money at all.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:13 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I did the "Cheap Handling Fix" Maybe a 5-10% improvement in sway. VERY LITTLE help with passing trucks.
I've reduced tire pressure to 5 PSI over minimum. Most significant improvement but rough roads still jar everything. Did help handling.
I can't see spending hundreds on FSD's with so many saying it didn't help.
One person's opinion on adding air bags that "off-load" the spring on expansion sounds good but compression has got to be worse.
In my opinion adding weight to the front by moving it forward probably would help but but I can't get enough there. And adding weight just to improve ride does not make sense because it increases fuel consumption/reduces speed especially in hilly areas.
The Sumos are $hundreds to $thousands!!! With "$0" return on investment.
Adding more caster by placing a 3/32" spacer between the spring and axle (in the front side)was another handling fix that was cheap and worked.
SO... I'm going to live with it as it is.
Fiesta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:36 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
For improving handling on the late model F-53, I really suggest you give this thread a read:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/cheap...fix-72335.html

I have no idea how to soften the ride. Adding Air Bags to the exising suspension would stiffen it, not make it softer. Air bags ARE springs and can be as firm or soft as needed. But ADDING spring rate to the existing springs can only make it ride harder.

Now if they were REPLACING the leaf springs....That could be another matter, especially if they also increased travel.
I checked out the recommended thread & found the information quite interesting. My F53 is a 2006 chassis rated at 20,500#. I looked under my chassis & checked out the position of links on both front & rear sway bars. My rear sway bar has the links already positioned in the rear set of holes. My front sway bar has two (2) sets of holes in the end of the sway bar & the links are located in the forward set of holes. It would appear if I were to change the position to the rear set of holes the links would be to short! I feel my MH tracks well & is not bothered by semi trucks at all, but crosswinds do create a white knuckle situation. So, that being said what can one do to improve ride & take out some of the road shock? I'm talking that jarring problem going over bridges & road cracks! It would appear nothing! Most are saying shocks are a waste of money, air bags don't seem to do it & even other devices don't give dramatic improvement. Purchasing an air ride DP is not an option. Maybe I should try lubing my springs! How do you do that option?
countrypair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:58 PM   #26

Jack up the coach so the front springs have the weight off. On our rig there is one leaf that does not have the plastic insert between the leafs. use a cold chisel or screwdriver to insert between the leaf with no plastic and then use some ATF or spray lube grease. Only need to be lubed on the ends (think 3 inches)My idea is with age rust builds up and causes friction with this metal on metal contact. The ATF should lube and clean the area. After a few applications it shouldn't be needed as your cleaning lubeing years worth. I tried it because it was a FREE experiment and feel it made a difference. Enough so that I have put teflon sheets in between the leaf ends now.
jimsbarbecue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:04 AM   #27

In this photo you can see where the leaf needs the lube. See the rusted leaf where the taper is at the end is where to lube. Both front and rear (front shown)
jimsbarbecue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:00 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OK today after reading this post I raised the front.
Greased the steering joints (they were not bad), greased all 4 jack fittings, checked wheel bearings (rolled good, no noises), checked steering for looseness (all tight), oiled leafs with hypoid oil (still had oil on them from last year), the heavier the oil the longer it lasts, my leafs are not rusty either, the seperator pads between the leafs were good and not stuck the either spring,.
The "Z" bracket for the upper sway bar link is present but I still get the knocking/clunking at slow speeds (and turns) on rough roads.
I still want to tighten every nut and bolt to try to stop the knocking.
I did notice the sway bar was touching the leafs after moving the links to the back/inner hole. The link needs to be 2" longer.
Going back to 75 PSI in tires, raised it to 85 due to 100+F. on recent trip. A big mistake. Well I got this years PM done. But nothing to improve the ride.
Was 122F at my house Wed!!! Waiting for fall.....
Fiesta48 is offline   Reply With Quote