Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2016, 11:58 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RELHUB View Post
I AM SURE YOU ARE 100 % PERFECT?

And you would of course be correct...

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2016, 12:29 PM   #30

I want to thank everybody that wrote a post. Every comment was very useful. Thank you all.

I have ordered a Torque Converter. I took it in a Autozone located at 2 minutes from the garage where they will change my transmission.

It was not easy to purchase. In fact Autozone does not list a torque converter for the Ford F53. So I went on the rockauto.com web site to find out what part I should buy. Rockauto suggest two models. One is heavy duty and this is what I took since my motorhome is big. The part number is Dacco: HD3696-6-2.

Then I called the autozone in Rapid City near the AAMCO garage. On the phone the guy is rought. I tell him I need a Dacco HD3696-6-2. He says he need a car make and model. I give him Ford F53 1999. He says he has no torque converter for this F53 since it is too big for them. I tell him I see the part on their website and wish he could search for the part number. He then say: It is not because it is on our website that we have it. Then it hangup the phone in a bang.

I then call back a few minutes later but he does not answer the phone. I try back a few more times and he never answer the phone.

Finally I download on my Android phone the Talkatone apps to get a local (605) VOIP phone number. I call him and he answer the phone. I change my voice and I tell him I need a part for a F550 Super Duty4WD 2000, 8 Cylinders F 7.3L Turbo Dsl. He enter this in the computer. Then I tell him I need the Torque Converter. He is very surprised over the phone but he has the part on his screen. Yes, before I called him I had looked at the "Vehicule fitment" for this part for Autozone so that I could give him a vehicule he had on his computer. He then wants me to pay the total price before ordering it and this is the first time in my life an autopart store does it to me. I paid it with my credit card in full. He should have it on monday he said.

Here is the part at Autozone:
Dacco Heavy Duty/Transmission Torque Converter HD3696-6-2- ReadReviews onDacco Heavy Duty #HD3696-6-2

Here is the part at Rockauto:
1999 FORD F53 6.8L V10 Torque Converter | RockAuto

I bought the Torque Converter at Autozone to save some money at the garage when they will change the transmission. I have five kids in the motorhome and I always need to reduce the bills.

Please tell me anybody if you feel I don't have the right Torque Converter.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:46 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
So on this public forum you are telling us you have a bad transmission and need a tow to get it repaired. At the same time you are going to sign up for roadside service from CAA, wait 48 hours and then put in a claim for a situation that existed before you signed up? Perhaps CAA will be fine with this, but isn't that unethical, if not illegal?

The purpose for waiting 48 hours is to prevent this situation from happening. Kind of like buying fire insurance after the fire and expecting to be paid.
As odd as it might seem many companies work this way. Several years ago we had a reception problem with our DIRECTV system. We called the company to ask that a service technician be sent out to resolve the problem. The first thing they asked was "did we have insurance to cover the service call?" When I said no they offered a 1 year insurance plan to cover both the service call and any parts we might need.

The insurance cost $79.00. If we didn't take it the service call would have been $129.00 plus any parts they found defective. Needless to say we opted for the insurance.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:47 PM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
I may be wrong but I thought that the TC in the 4R100 is the same as the E4OD.
If so the gas engine TC has 4 bolts to connect to the flex plate and the Diesel has 6 bolts.
As I say they may have change this in 1999 with the 4R100 but you said you ordered one for a Diesel so I thought I would mention this.
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:57 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbilodeau View Post
my cooler was cold suggesting the pump was not working. I read it could be a transmission or torque converter problem.
If the pump wasn't working you wouldn't be going anywhere. The pump supplies the pressure that applies each clutch. Without the pump working the only selections you will have are park and neutral.

Usually when the trans is hot and the coolers are not, the problem is a restriction in the cooling circuit. A line was pinched, or a piece of trans debris plugged a line, or the cooler bypass on the side of the trans has stuck open.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:08 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
If the pump wasn't working you wouldn't be going anywhere. The pump supplies the pressure that applies each clutch. Without the pump working the only selections you will have are park and neutral.

Usually when the trans is hot and the coolers are not, the problem is a restriction in the cooling circuit. A line was pinched, or a piece of trans debris plugged a line, or the cooler bypass on the side of the trans has stuck open.
When I saw the cooler was cold, I stopped the engine. Removed my new Ford recommended online external oil filter. Started the engine and then the cooler became hot. But was it the filter or simply the engine restart that reset the circulation?
I blow with my mouth air in the inline filter and I could feel the air coming out easily.
Anyway, I had stopped many times before this cold experience and the cooler was hot.

One month ago, after I installed my new transmission cooler and new engine radiator with a bottom section for the transmission, I did a transmission fluid flush. I followed Mark procedure and I got the expected pressure so I know my pressure was good at that time.

But I forgot to say that for the first time in my life I bought a part at NAPA. It was the internal transmission deep filter. I did not know that NAPA was selling junk until I saw the part in my hands. It was a cheap carboard with the filter stick on it and NAPA writen on the carboard. I immediatly told myself: this company buy the cheapest chinese products and sell them at the price of normal good products. So when my transmission started to overheat I immediatly told myself I would change the internal filter and oil. But I burned the transmission before I could buy a new internal filter. I had a chance to buy a new filter but it was at the store where the guy tried to sell me an infrared thermometer for double the price so I did not.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:47 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by subford View Post
I may be wrong but I thought that the TC in the 4R100 is the same as the E4OD.
If so the gas engine TC has 4 bolts to connect to the flex plate and the Diesel has 6 bolts.
As I say they may have change this in 1999 with the 4R100 but you said you ordered one for a Diesel so I thought I would mention this.
Here is the picture from Rockauto for the F53 6.8L 1999:

then here is the picture from Autozone for the F550 Diesel 2000 7.3l 4WD:

We can see the product recommended by rockauto at: http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/f...converter,8668

and the one from autozone 500$US at:
http://www.autozone.com/powertrain/t...verter/319418/

Here is the Ford description for my VIN, it says it is a 550, not a Dsl but...
Build Date: 26.04.1999
Vehicle Line: F53 Stripped Chassis
Body Style: Recreational Stripped Chassis
Version: Ford 550 Series
Engine: 6.8L SOHC EFI NA V10 Gas
Transmission: E4OD(4R100)
Drive: LHD RWD

Here is the rockauto description for this product:

Trans. code 4R100; Ford trans
Bolt Pattern 11.375"
Converter Type Lock-up
HD Application 6.8L, 7.5L Gas & 7.3L Diesel Engine
Pad Shape None
Pilot Diameter 1.375"
Smooth Body No
Spline Count 31
Mounting Type Studs
Stud Count 5
Transmission Fitment E4OD- 4R100
Material Billet steel cover
Old 08-12-2016, 05:26 PM   #36

I know my Mom's 1999 F53 had a different torque converter than my '04. I forget which had what for bolts though.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:36 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
I know my Mom's 1999 F53 had a different torque converter than my '04. I forget which had what for bolts though.
According to rockauto.com, they give the same part number from 1999 to 2005.

Maybe your mom's 1999 motorhome is built on a Ford 1998 or Ford 1997?

If I go under my motorhome, can I count the number of bolts? Can we see the bolts?

On eBay, this seller sells the same TC and says it fits F53 1999 to 2004. See the link here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DACCO-HD3686...1UIhHK&vxp=mtr
Old 08-13-2016, 08:01 AM   #38

All gas engines have four bolt converters. The 7.3L diesel had six bolts. The converters ARE NOT the same.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:17 PM   #39

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbilodeau View Post
I had just installed one month ago a 6.0 cooler. Mark Kovalsky says it is the best. I also changed the engine radiator since the OEM in 1999 had no section for the transmission oil. So my temperature was maximum 159F (71C) while we can expect 180F for this 4R100. Suddently in my trip, after many hundreds miles the temperature went to 177F (81c). I was afraid and stopped and verified the oil level at idle with the engine hot after exiting the highway. It was ok. I continued my trip and the heat continued to raise each day. Once I stopped and the temperature was high but my cooler was cold suggesting the pump was not working. I read it could be a transmission or torque converter problem.

But in the first place if I change my cooler and radiator it is because I had had some problems with the transmission going in reset mode and that had seemed to overheat (but I had no gauge to confirm the overheating).

Since my transmission temperature gauge was new and I paid only 12$ on aliexpress.com, I told myself it was probably the gauge. I use a thermometer on the transmission and on the exit oil pipe and I had only 160F so I continued to drive the coach and the temperature raised to 257F.

So now I will change the transmisssion and the torque converter. But I can't make my mind to change my new engine radiator and my new 6.0 cooler. This is killing me. They are brand new.
177F is not hot for a transmission, do you actually know how hot the transmission got.

I am just trying to figure out how the transmission failed.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:22 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
All gas engines have four bolt converters. The 7.3L diesel had six bolts. The converters ARE NOT the same.
I will call Ford on monday to see what they say about it. When they will confirm it is 4 studs I will cancel my Torque order at Autozone.

Dacco has a huge catalog for the Torque Converter they sell. On page 110, they show the torque converters for the 4R100 gas and dsl. My ordered model is DACCO HD369662. Maybe you could take a look at it just to see if there is a possibility Ford made some exceptions on the F53. Catalogs | DACCO

On eBay a seller of Torque Converter for the F53 says : When using with the V10, make sure you have the 6 stud style factory converter, typically used in about 2000-up.

Ford E4OD Billet Torque Converter 4R100 Powerstroke Super Duty Transmission V10 | eBay

Again, here is the link for rockauto F53 Torque converter for 1999 to 2004.

And now a link rockauto for the F550 gasoline: 2001 FORD F-550 SUPER DUTY 6.8L V10 Torque Converter | RockAuto
Old 08-13-2016, 08:36 PM   #41

Try to get it confirmed. It's possible that I'm wrong.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:49 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
177F is not hot for a transmission, do you actually know how hot the transmission got.

I am just trying to figure out how the transmission failed.
On the last day the temperature went to 257F. I drove like this a few hours. Then at the campground I let the engine run at idle at that temperature for 15 minutes and that killed the transmission. The gauge never went down at idle in this 15 minutes and my floor became very hot like I never had before. Could not keep my foot on the wooden floor near the gas pedal.
I had read that morning on the internet that a good way to cool the transmission was to let it run at idle. But with the experience I had in that week I feel that the best way to cool down that transmission was to shut the engine and the transmission would cool quite rapidly. In about 20 minutes it was down to 130F or 71C.

I must explain also what happened in previous long trip. In december I went from Montreal in the north to the south in the Keys in Florida. That is 28 hours drive. In the keys when I was just to arrive, the engine temperature climbed and I had to stop the AC. Half an hour later, the transmission went in reset and after I had restart the engine my transmission could only do 1 and 2. I had to replace the solenoid block since I had an error code.

I had no gauge for the transmission so I did not know the temperature. I came back to Montreal without problem but my transmission went in reset (the light flashing) twice.

Since I had these reset problems, I changed my cooler for a 6.0 cooler and replace the original engine radiator for a 2003 radiator that has a bottom section for the transmission fluid. I also added the external ford transmission inline filter and changed my internal deep filter and flush all the fluid Mercon V.

Tags
campground, transmission