Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2016, 07:53 AM   #1

In a campground : My transmission is dead need rebuilt

My transmission started to overheat.

I continued my trip but now it shift erratically and it make a sound. I stopped in a campground for one day just to see my options.

I am at one hour from a big city (Rapid City in South Dakota.

I called a garage who told me to expect to pay 2500$ to 3000$ for a rebuilt on a 1999 4R100 but he can not do it. He gave me an address where to go.

Do you have any advice or experience to share about this kind of situation?

Also, if I have to be towed, how much should I expect to pay for 60 miles drive? I have a 36.5'. I have no road assistance program but I could take one from Canada for 240$Can and wait 48 hours before calling them to tow me.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2016, 08:26 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sometimes when the transmission overheats you will lose ATF out the vent on top maybe in a foam state. So you may now be low on ATF so I would start it up and check the level of the ATF. It is low put some in it and see if it will work OK.
Make sure you shift through all the gears and bring it up to the full mark with the engine running.
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:45 AM   #3

I would go with a transmission from ford or jasper in a rv you will want a nationwide warranty you can have it installed by anyone if you call jasper they can give you the number of someone close to you. If the campground would let you try and find some one to come and change the fluid and filter might be able to limp it in to a garage. It would not be a fix and may not even untrack but worth throwing a hundred bucks or so at it.overheating will knock the varnished off of case and stopped the filter up
Old 08-10-2016, 09:03 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
You could call a towing company in Rapid City and ask for a quote. My guess is a medium duty tow truck at $100 hook up fee and about $2.50 per mile ($250 for 60 mile tow).

Regarding transmission, you say started to overheat - pull dipstick and smell/observe colour of fluid. Burnt smell and brown (not red) fluid indicates overheated. The red dye is made to turn brown above 300F. Here is a link with additional information.

There is a reason it overheated. Sometimes a replacement/rebuilt transmission is a better economical option vs rebuilt. Most large/national transmission shops have access to shelf ready rebuilts.

My thoughts,
Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:12 AM   #5

My oil level was ok when the engine was hot and was at idle.

I installed the gauge a few days before I left home so I never knew the temperature before. So when it started to overheat, I told myself that probaby the gauge was in fault.

My oil was red and clean yesterday morning. Now it is brown with black dirts with means there is a metal friction.

I called a garage, he can not take a big motorhome 36.5' but said the cost would be 2000 to 2500$.

Then I called a RV shop and he said he can take my motorhome next tuesday and would keep it 5 to 7 business days. This means I would loose two weeks here. After asking questions to see if I was a tourist (do you have food in the fridge, etc, etc) then only he gave me a price: 3200 to 3500$.

Then I called another truck shop. After asking questions to see if I was a tourist, he gave me a price of 4200 to 4500$. I told him I had a better price and he wished me good luck. He called me 1 hour later telling me he could do it next week for 3952$ with a rebuilt transmission he would order. I would loose only one week here.

So I will try to find a better price and I will make phone call to find a Ford or Jasper like suggested.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:35 AM   #6

I recently had mine towed 50 miles for $450. He Said it would have cost $350 to tow 1 mile. If i ever get back on the road I will buy tow insurance.
J. Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:40 AM   #7

Years ago I blew a transmission between rapid city and Sturgis. Got towed to Sturgis and transmission for GM van was rebuilt at two high a cost over two weeks. Stayed at camp ground using bikes to get around. In hind site I wish I had ordered a rebuild from a national company or traded for new truck at that time. Shops in that area are looking for tourists to rake over the coals. Good luck with which ever way you go. Hope you have time on your side. I only had two weeks and it forced me to do things I wouldn't do now.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Frank View Post
I recently had mine towed 50 miles for $450. He Said it would have cost $350 to tow 1 mile. If i ever get back on the road I will buy tow insurance.
There is two kind of insurance, the cheap and the expensive. The cheap one they choose the garage where you will be tow so expect them to call all the garage where you are jammed and they will negociate free towing for them and maximum price to fix your rig. The expensive one like CAA in Canada is about 250$Can to 300$ and they will tow you at the garage you chose up to 500 km or 350 miles.

I will take CAA today. I will have to wait 48 hours before I call to be tow since they don't want us to get member when we are on the side of the road having a problem.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapperbob11 View Post
Years ago I blew a transmission between rapid city and Sturgis. Got towed to Sturgis and transmission for GM van was rebuilt at two high a cost over two weeks. Stayed at camp ground using bikes to get around. In hind site I wish I had ordered a rebuild from a national company or traded for new truck at that time. Shops in that area are looking for tourists to rake over the coals. Good luck with which ever way you go. Hope you have time on your side. I only had two weeks and it forced me to do things I wouldn't do now.
Yesterday I went in Chamberlain NAPA to buy a cheap thermometer. I said I was looking for a thermometer like the ones we use for beef meat. The guy said he had none but showed me the Infrared model. I saw over his shoulder the price was 35.99$. He brought it at this computer and said the price was 72$. I said no and was leaving when I saw a 8$ beef thermometer. I bought it but told myself I would not buy the oil and transmission filter I had planned to buy.

Then later I went for propane in a Sinclair gas station in Chamberlain. The boss said 2.50$ a gallon. I have a strong french accent. I said I would fill in an hour. One hour later, a lady was at the cash register and told me: why did he leave a message for 2.50$ a gallon, it is 2$ a gallon and then charged me 2$ a gallon.

So for the transmission negotiation I am very aware now. But there is only two shops that can do the job on a big rig. I feel I will have to pay 3952$ + my motel rooms and loose at lease one week.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbilodeau View Post
My transmission started to overheat.

I continued my trip but now it shift erratically and it make a sound. I stopped in a campground for one day just to see my options.

I am at one hour from a big city (Rapid City in South Dakota.

I called a garage who told me to expect to pay 2500$ to 3000$ for a rebuilt on a 1999 4R100 but he can not do it. He gave me an address where to go.

Do you have any advice or experience to share about this kind of situation?

Also, if I have to be towed, how much should I expect to pay for 60 miles drive? I have a 36.5'. I have no road assistance program but I could take one from Canada for 240$Can and wait 48 hours before calling them to tow me.
I would strongly suggest you contact a Ford truck garage rather than an independent shop. Rebuilt transmissions from Ford have all the improvements and updates that were included in the most recent production models. That includes an external inline filter to the cooler. If you do find you need a new transmission It's often cheaper to buy a complete one from Ford than have an independent shop try to rebuild it. If you check online you'll find the Ford remanufactured 4R100 is about the same price as you've been quoted.

Also be sure to have the transmission oil cooler replaced. It's nearly impossible to flush all the contaminants out. Over time they may loosen and become lodged in the valve body and cause more problems.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
I would strongly suggest you contact a Ford truck garage rather than an independent shop. Rebuilt transmissions from Ford have all the improvements and updates that were included in the most recent production models. That includes an external inline filter to the cooler. If you do find you need a new transmission It's often cheaper to buy a complete one from Ford than have an independent shop try to rebuild it. If you check online you'll find the Ford remanufactured 4R100 is about the same price as you've been quoted.

Also be sure to have the transmission oil cooler replaced. It's nearly impossible to flush all the contaminants out. Over time they may loosen and become lodged in the valve body and cause more problems.
There is a Ford dealer, I will call them after dinner, it is now 12:00. Ford Dealership in Rapid City, SD at McKie Ford

I just change one month ago my transmission cooler and my engine radiator that has the bottom portion for the transmission. So I would like to save them if possible. Do you think I could save them since they are new?
Old 08-10-2016, 12:27 PM   #12

Quote:
There is a Ford dealer, I will call them after dinner, it is now 12:00. Ford Dealership in Rapid City, SD at McKie Ford

I just change one month ago my transmission cooler and my engine radiator that has the bottom portion for the transmission. So I would like to save them if possible. Do you think I could save them since they are new?
It all depends on the damage done to the transmission and whether or not the units have become contaminated. I would ask to inspect the parts after they have been removed. Also talk with the service manager and/or service advisor to be sure the 3 year warranty will be in effect if they determine the coolers are usable.

We had a problem with the 4R100 in our 2001 motorhome. It was covered under warranty, but the dealer still replaced the coolers on the companies dime to be sure there were no problems down the road. My guess is that if Ford was willing to absorb the cost of new coolers they fail often enough after a transmission installation they weren't willing to take the chance.

Make sure to get everything you agree on in writing on the service order.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:57 PM   #13

I called the Ford dealer but I will not go there. They changed a transmission last month on a 2000 F53. They had to wait 2 months to get the new transmission. So he told me to go at AAMCO Transmissions & Total Car Care which is the one that I was planning to go at. He said AAMCO is Nationwide and can be trusted. The Ford dealer charged 3000$US ofr the 2000 transmission + the labor, so he said I had a good price at AAMCO.

At AAMCO in Rapid City, I gave my transmission code which is located near the shifter on the driver side RFF81P-7006-AA. He called me back and said the price would be 2500$US for the transmission + 1000$ labor + some dollars for the oil, which makes a maximum of 3600$US.
I did not have to go at the garage, did it all over the phone, he took my credit card number and ordered the transmission. It will require 4 business days to come in the garage. Once he has the transmission, they will install it in a single day so I will not have to rent a motel. He said that if ever it takes an extra day, he would accomodate us --- in the motorhome. Very nice.

Base on his computation, the job should be done next wednesday at the latest. We are in a campground with a swimming pool, internet, satellite to watch the Olympics, so it is not so bad. We will stay here until I have it towed the day they receive the transmission.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:38 PM   #14

Quote:
I will take CAA today. I will have to wait 48 hours before I call to be tow since they don't want us to get member when we are on the side of the road having a problem.
So on this public forum you are telling us you have a bad transmission and need a tow to get it repaired. At the same time you are going to sign up for roadside service from CAA, wait 48 hours and then put in a claim for a situation that existed before you signed up? Perhaps CAA will be fine with this, but isn't that unethical, if not illegal?

The purpose for waiting 48 hours is to prevent this situation from happening. Kind of like buying fire insurance after the fire and expecting to be paid.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, transmission