RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2019, 02:38 PM   #29

Panhard and Track Bar or Trac bar are the same.

They exist to locate the axle from side to side. Without them on your F53 the axles is only located by the springs, and that just isn't enough.

The other bar being mentioned here is the Antisway bar or anti roll bar. It does something very different and important job.. It is a spring, and unlike the suspension springs that work all the time, it only works when one wheel tires to move differently than the other wheel. So if you hit a bump and both front wheels try to pivot up 1", the antisway bar does nothing. Now go into right hand corner. The left side front tire will try to move up towards the chassis and the right side front tire will try to move down. Of course, we feel the coach body moving but that is because the springs allow it. The anti sway bars resit this.

Both of these together help with the push you feel by passing trucks. I really don't think the steering stabilizer does anything for this kind of issue.

apr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2019, 02:51 PM   #30

I put front and rear track bars on mine rock solid.

cwit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:42 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelesley View Post
after calling the Ford truck hotline and they said it was OK to do, I added 1 1/2 deg positive caster over spec. it really helps i already have the CHF and rear trac bar. Georgelesley
I did the same thing. Great tracking. Couldn't be better. I had to sign a paper from the Ford dealer limiting their liability from going above specs...
Old 02-10-2019, 10:33 AM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
Really???? You had to sign a paper relieving them of liability??? There's no liability issues with this. How utterly ignorant on their part. What possible negative effect would/could occur if you went above the listed caster settings?

1. It would not increase tire wear so you couldn't come back and demand new tires.

2. You have power steering so you won't come back and tell them you get worn out steering the RV.

3. It's your vehicle and your $$$$$.

4. You are hiring them to do your work.

When I was a kid I worked for my parents for 5 years and we always considered for the best customer relations the "Customer was always right." Even when or if they weren't.

OK now I remember. The lawyers yes the lawyers. A few years ago our SIL was picking up his new vehicle and he asked them to add 2 more lbs of air in the tires. They refused to do it because it would have put them over the listed sticker pressures. LOL!!! Yes I had a good laugh as well!!!
Old 02-10-2019, 12:08 PM   #33

F53 alignment specs ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
I did the same thing. Great tracking. Couldn't be better. I had to sign a paper from the Ford dealer limiting their liability from going above specs...
Are you sure you are above specs?

2kGeorgieBoy explained it best...

Wandering at highway speeds

Reply Post by 2kGeorgieBoy
Re: Wandering at highway speeds
Reply #36 on: March 14, 2018, 09:07:02 PM

START QUOTE:
Jeff..Although we have a 2000 Georgie Boy 31' Maverick "C" on a Ford E450 chassis, I can fully agree on the caster effects, at least for us. When we got the unit in Jan 2014, the dealer had us take into a truck shop for an alignment. It turned out OK....A trip to Moab shortly there after brought out the problems. I then started reading the threads and comments here about the caster settings....esp., from Harvard. I checked the data from the first alignment and found that it was set at about 3 1/2 degrees positive...about in the middle of Ford's recommended range. Shortly before a cross country trip to Maryland in fall of 2016, I returned to the shop where the first alignment was done. I talked to the service manager and he knew of the problems with the E450's and was happy to increase the caster as I asked. The alignment tech was also familiar with it and ended up with settings close to 5.5 degrees positive. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The unit tracked straight down the road, passing semis no longer caused a white knuckle hold on the wheel, and overall it was just a lot more enjoyable. It did however increase steering effort a little but not anything to worry about. But, be sure that the shop you go to is willing to "think outside of the box". Our first alignment was "plain vanilla", right in the middle like it was always done. Second time out, they were very willing to increase settings beyond what normally would be done, and still stay with in Ford's guidelines (0-7 degrees, I believe). I realize that our E450 chassis is an entirely different animal than yours, but I was trying to add support to the caster increase thinking and how it helped us......if you go down that road.
END QUOTE:
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:16 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
[QUOTE=Harvard;4629837]Are you sure you are above specs?

Yep, I'm sure. I think the max caster plus in the manual is 5 or 5.5. I had them set mine to 6. Amazing difference.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:34 AM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Steering stabilizer such as the safe-t-plus do a great job at mitigating side wind conditions and the push from passing trucks.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:00 AM   #36

It needs quad rear shocks, and the sway bushings replaced with poly (installed and greased correctly, not thrown on a lift and tightened down while the springs are extended) Dual steering stabilizers, and air pressure set to load. Class A gassers suck, I know, I have one on a p30 chassis. Get it weighed, if it has air adjustable shocks you will also find its too low in the front.

Houdoxi71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, led