RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2018, 09:24 AM   #1

Installed Rear Trackbar, still some frontend wagging

Hey Guys:

I had installed the SuperSteer rear track bar on my 2001 Winnie Adventurer and it was a night and day difference in the handling. I took the coach down to the coast for Thanksgiving (about 700 miles round trip) and I found that I was much more relaxed and could actually scratch an itch that came up without going out of the lane.

I did notice though that there was still a bit of side to side motion and wandering. I'm wondering if the addition of a front track bar would eliminate or further reduce that. I do have a Roadmaster RSSA steering stabilizer and set the front tires to 90 PSI. I have to get longer valve stems to get to the rear tires. An alignment was done to Ford specs. The last thing that may or may not help with this is the greasing the chassis. I'm not sure when it was done last, but wandering if that will help with the wandering.

Any other things that I might missing or something to look for?

As always, thanks for your help beforehand.

Shiba_Alex is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2018, 12:01 PM   #2
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Three questions:

1) You said alignment was done to Ford specs. Ford specs will allow for some toe-out. Did they set to max toe-in? this will give you best stability.

2) Did you perform the CHF, Front and rear???

3) Do you have original shocks? If so, I'd recommend replacing them as they are probably worn out. I was happy with standard Monroe's.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 12:21 PM   #3

Also, do you have a front pan hard bar? If you don't, the front will do the same as the rear, but to a lesser extent.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:33 PM   #4

I highly recommend installation of a front trac bar and also Koni FSD shocks. That's what we have on ours.

I found the front trac bar to significantly reduce the sideways push from 18 wheelers when overtaking and passing our coach.

Best of luck and safe travels...

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 01:13 PM   #5

Waiter:

I don't have the alignment before and after so I am not too sure of the toe in. CHF was done front and rear. Changing the shocks was one of the first things I did. I believe they are Monroe, like yours.

With setting the max toe in, do the tires naturally straighten out when going down the road?

Wildman:

I don't have the front panhard bar. I know that in 2006 or so Ford started to put them on from the factory. I'm guessing that they did that for a reason, and not just for show. That is what I am debating to get to complete the connection of the chassis to the body.

LVJ:

The push from the 18 wheelers has been greatly reduced with the installation of the rear trac bar, but there are times where I still will get pushed more than usual and from the whirlwind when they get in front of you.

I have seen that the only front panhard bar is the Davis Trutrac. Are there really no other options? Would have thought that SuperSteer would have something...
Old 11-30-2018, 02:09 PM   #6
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
With setting the max toe in, do the tires naturally straighten out when going down the road?
Yes - It will go straight.. Trucks sometimes like to set toe-in as close to zero as possible to maximize tire life.. We generally time limit tire life long before tread wear is an issue, so set the toe-in to max.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 02:21 PM   #7

Does setting the toe-in require bending the axle or this it just an adjustment on the tie rods?
Old 11-30-2018, 02:55 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Bending the axle controls the camber or tilt of the wheels in and out from the frame. Toe is adjusted with the tie rod and caster is adjusted with shims.

wildman, A pan hard bar is the original name for a stabilizer or as many call them an anti-sway bar or sway bar for short. The name pan hard is actually named from a gentleman named Panhard way way back in the early development of vehicles.

The F-53 came from the factory with front and rear SB's so he already has them.
Old 11-30-2018, 03:10 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Toe is adjusted at the tie rod end. If you donít already have a front track bar, adding one will help.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 03:12 PM   #10

I think what he meant to say is all vehicles have sway bars, the heavy or thicker the better -sway bar controls roll like when semis come flying by or bad wind from one side or the other & panhard or trac bar control tail wag that is caused by the great amount of body hanging behind the rear axle which normally has leaf springs with some side play
pushtrk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 04:24 PM   #11

Too little caster can manifest itself as wandering at highway speeds.

POPULAR MECHANICS MAY 1973:
START QUOTE:
If too little caster exists, the car will wander and weave,
thus necessitating constant corrections in steering.
END QUOTE:
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:23 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
try increase PSI

I am not sure what your tire diameter is but I found trying an increase in tire pressures a few psi. I notice that less sidewall flex makes stability better and also less steering catching ruts .
Old 11-30-2018, 07:33 PM   #13

TaJay, most people are calling the "pan hard bar", a "track bar", which it is really is not. A pan hard bar is attached at a fixed location on both the frame and the suspension component. A track bar is adjustable on both locations for height and also for length of the bar. The adjustability is necessary for racing, for better handling, or crashing depending on you view of things.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:22 PM   #14

OP
when you say wagging, can you be more specific?
wagging all the time or wagging in the wind, to wagging when trucks overtake, or something else?

gatorb8 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, led