Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2018, 04:47 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Instrument Panel

The panel is hard to see even in the daylight. What have you done to see the panel better. I have been using a flashlight to see it.
whmprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2018, 05:06 AM   #2

Here's a thread about this problem. I have added the led strip and blackened the bezel around the gauges. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/viewi...el-152791.html
Old 11-01-2018, 07:58 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Dash Lighting solution

This is what I did to fix the lighting issue. It's about a $30 MOD when you figure the lights, variable resistor or potentionmeter & toggle switch.

Notice on the first pic there's a black knob with a silver center and a toggle switch with a white plastic cover in the upper left hand corner.

The knob is the dimmer or lighting control and the switch turns it on.

I used switched (ignition is turned on) 12 volts from behind the dash. I really don't vary the brightness much at all. If you drive at night you might need it but we seldom do now that we are retired.

The lights work well enough even on cloudy days it needs more light to see all the darkened corners so I almost never turn it off.

The LED lights are white and are available at any car/truck parts house for under $20.

The lights do come with sticky attaching tape which should work. I added some silicone just to make sure they stay stuck.

To install I drilled 1/16" holes in the dash where the LED wires ended and ran the wires to the back so I could pick up the 12-volts and wire in the switch and POT. The thin wooden cover is silicon-ed to the top area of the dash.

The actual lights, wiring and holes are behind the wooden strip which deflects the bright LED lights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02412.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	224573   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02413.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	224574  

Old 11-02-2018, 06:34 AM   #4

Hey Tejay, how hard was it to access the back of the dash? Would you use the dimmer again?
bandit2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:46 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Dash access!

Here's two pics showing the dash. The first pic shows the bottom of the dash cover that I covered with fiberglass making it a stiffer. You can see 6 of the 8 screw that hold the top piece to the dash area.

The next pic shows the ARC of the dash. That entire top arched panel comes off providing very easy access to the back of the dash gauges and a lot of wires. So yes it is easily accessible.

With our 1999 Dutch Star I could remove all the dash screws and remove the entire electrical dash panel so that one was also easy to access any needed wires. Not every RV has easy access to dash wires.

I should take a pic of the top from the top so one can see how easy it is to get to the dash.

We rarely travel at night but when we did I used the dimmer to soften the dash lighting. It's not an expensive item so I would add it again.

I'm 74 and the DW is 70 and we are not planning on selling this RV. It's taken us 4 years to do all the MODS. If we make it to 84 and still doing OK we'll continue. Do we really know what's around the next bend? No! If we had to sell the dimmer is there for the next owners.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02330.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	397.3 KB
ID:	224688   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02389.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	224689  

Tags
panel