Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2018, 02:20 PM   #43
lpc

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackreno View Post
Yes I bought 6 new accuride black powered coated steel rims, I even noticed the new rims fit tighter in the large center hole to the hub with zero play and the lug holes even look a tad smaller, much better fit than the old rims that came with the motorhome and the new Firestone FS561 tires are softer than the Hankook's, my ride is so nice now it feels like a new motorhome.

The reason I went with the black rims is now I have a small chrome center cap and this gave me a new cool modern look, my wife says it makes me look younger..

I even did a 2nd test drive with wife and she is very happy with the results, even got up to 70 mph and it was smooth at all speeds up to 70 mph, the ride is so nice now, if you to have been having the same issue with your 19.5 steel rims just get new ones and junk the old ones..
Thank you Jack. I will replace the old for new. Sounds as if the tolerances have been provided closer. It will take me a couple of weeks (may have to order the steel wheels) to get it all together, Did you road force balance the wheel / tire assembly? As soon as I give it a road test I will certainly let you know how it goes. thank you for sharing your solution with me, it makes sense.
lpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2018, 05:33 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpc View Post
Thank you Jack. I will replace the old for new. Sounds as if the tolerances have been provided closer. It will take me a couple of weeks (may have to order the steel wheels) to get it all together, Did you road force balance the wheel / tire assembly? As soon as I give it a road test I will certainly let you know how it goes. thank you for sharing your solution with me, it makes sense.

I ordered my rims online, got a better price, just make sure they are New and Accuride, don't settle for any others, my new tires/rims were balanced with the Hunter machine, not sure if they did the road force in the balance but they did come out real good, 1 tire needed no weights, 3 needed only one small weight and 2 needed two weights and with the Centramatic balancers they all feel perfect..
jackreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:40 PM   #45

Quote:
I ordered my rims online, got a better price, just make sure they are New and Accuride, don't settle for any others, my new tires/rims were balanced with the Hunter machine, not sure if they did the road force in the balance but they did come out real good, 1 tire needed no weights, 3 needed only one small weight and 2 needed two weights and with the Centramatic balancers they all feel perfect..
What did you pay for the rims?
jomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:30 AM   #46
lpc

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomo View Post
What did you pay for the rims?
I will pay $216.32 per each. They are Accuride steel. Where did you find your's on line ( Amazon). Jack, did it take you some time to go thru the process of elimination to determine what the cause of the vibration was? I worked on mine for a year with a good friend of mine. Both of us have strong mechanical minds and went thru the process of elimination, and thanks to you we are in agreement that the wheels are the culprit
Old 11-13-2018, 12:38 PM   #47

Quote:
I will pay $216.32 per each. They are Accuride steel. Where did you find your's on line ( Amazon). Jack, did it take you some time to go thru the process of elimination to determine what the cause of the vibration was? I worked on mine for a year with a good friend of mine. Both of us have strong mechanical minds and went thru the process of elimination, and thanks to you we are in agreement that the wheels are the culprit

I found six black powered coated steel Accuride rims on sale on internet delivered to my house for around 1200-1300 dollars, cant remember who it was I bought from cause I bought the rims over 6 months ago and sat on them till just 2 weeks ago..

And for 5 years I did a lot of things to improve the ride and very little was fixed till I bought the new rims.

My 1st fix was new Hankook AH11 tires and the shop/Big O Tires put in the beads inside tires, the ride was the same, replaced shocks with Monroe RV shocks, ride was a little less stiff but the tire issue was still there, bought Centrmatic balancers and that did very little, took RV to tire shop and had them remove the beads and balance tires and chassis aliged at Southern Tire Mart and there they told me 2 rims had a slight wobble and so we put the 2 best in front and the rest in the rear and still had that darn vibration and still not so smooth of a ride.

So 2 years later brings me today after buying 6 new Firestone FS561 tires and had them mounted and balanced with weights on the Hunter balance machine at Southern Tire Mart on my Brand New Accuride steel rims with the Centramtic balancers installed the ride is absolutely perfect..

And I do mean perfect, zero vibrations at any speed up to 70 mph, zero bounce and the Firestones were also a excellent buy cause they have a softer ride then the Hankooks,, It really feels like a brand new motorhome..

Ford sold thousands of F-53's over the years with junk 19.5 steel rims, where in the Hell was the engineers to over see this and did nothing for so long while collecting there pay checks..
Old 11-13-2018, 03:52 PM   #48
lpc

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I found six black powered coated steel Accuride rims on sale on internet delivered to my house for around 1200-1300 dollars, cant remember who it was I bought from cause I bought the rims over 6 months ago and sat on them till just 2 weeks ago..

And for 5 years I did a lot of things to improve the ride and very little was fixed till I bought the new rims.

My 1st fix was new Hankook AH11 tires and the shop/Big O Tires put in the beads inside tires, the ride was the same, replaced shocks with Monroe RV shocks, ride was a little less stiff but the tire issue was still there, bought Centrmatic balancers and that did very little, took RV to tire shop and had them remove the beads and balance tires and chassis aliged at Southern Tire Mart and there they told me 2 rims had a slight wobble and so we put the 2 best in front and the rest in the rear and still had that darn vibration and still not so smooth of a ride.

So 2 years later brings me today after buying 6 new Firestone FS561 tires and had them mounted and balanced with weights on the Hunter balance machine at Southern Tire Mart on my Brand New Accuride steel rims with the Centramtic balancers installed the ride is absolutely perfect..

And I do mean perfect, zero vibrations at any speed up to 70 mph, zero bounce and the Firestones were also a excellent buy cause they have a softer ride then the Hankooks,, It really feels like a brand new motorhome..

Ford sold thousands of F-53's over the years with junk 19.5 steel rims, where in the Hell was the engineers to over see this and did nothing for so long while collecting there pay checks..
I am with you on Ford. What you have done sounds almost exactly what I have done. I took the cheap route first and then worked my way up. Hopefully when I change the rims it will show some signs of improvement at least regarding the vibration. I have had some say it is simply the geometry of the chassis, While I listen and give creditability I disagree. It is rims of which have been pressed (manufactured) out of tolerance and ford does not have the integrity to right a wrong. I have contacted ford and they say they have not heard anything about vibration. Yea wright, can you imagine that as an answer. My coach tracks perfect does not get blown all over the road and handles well, except for the vibration. Hopefully that will go away soon. I did put a rear track bar. I made it and it works well. I have the template for the plate to fit the rear axle if you would like to add one if you have not done so already. Thank you for sharing all of your valuable knowledge. I will let you know how it all works out.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:08 PM   #49

Let us know LPC how your new rims work out..

I am more than happy with my decision after spending $3400 to get my motorhome to ride like it should.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:35 AM   #50
lpc

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Let us know LPC how your new rims work out..

I am more than happy with my decision after spending $3400 to get my motorhome to ride like it should.
Yes I will. Maybe start working on it next week. I live in the south, no real weather issues. Jack I will probably begin in the front just to see how it responds. Most of my vibration if not all is coming from the front. Once I get past that I will move to the rear. One thing I may have failed to mention, when I was using the counteract it did seem to make all better. know that the counteract is out it really shows up bad. Have a good thanksgiving.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:44 PM   #51

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Yes I will. Maybe start working on it next week. I live in the south, no real weather issues. Jack I will probably begin in the front just to see how it responds. Most of my vibration if not all is coming from the front. Once I get past that I will move to the rear. One thing I may have failed to mention, when I was using the counteract it did seem to make all better. know that the counteract is out it really shows up bad. Have a good thanksgiving.
Bought a 2006 Ford 250 Van. Terrible vibration from tires. Ford said tires are flat from sitting. They said hive ut until 2000 miles. Same vibration. Ford put 4 new rims and tires on at no chargem now perfect. Same story dif vehicles.[emoji23]
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:45 AM   #52
lpc

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Silber View Post
Bought a 2006 Ford 250 Van. Terrible vibration from tires. Ford said tires are flat from sitting. They said hive ut until 2000 miles. Same vibration. Ford put 4 new rims and tires on at no chargem now perfect. Same story dif vehicles.[emoji23]
Russ, In 2006 that would have been about the time the accurides were manufactured out of tolerance. I will let you know how my vibration works out. Thank You for sharing your experience. I like to here from folks who have had similar experiences as it tends to help in some decision making.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:12 AM   #53

It seems you may have found the answer to your problem. I will watch for your, lpc, conclusions .
It looks like you guys are suggesting Accuride rims, yes??
What I might do is buy two for the front and see if it clears up the 62 mph twitch.
Thanks to all, and , Happy Thanksgiving.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:52 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge68474 View Post
It seems you may have found the answer to your problem. I will watch for your, lpc, conclusions .
It looks like you guys are suggesting Accuride rims, yes??
What I might do is buy two for the front and see if it clears up the 62 mph twitch.
Thanks to all, and , Happy Thanksgiving.

But it might still shake in the back.

I will have to say again the 6 new rims and tires I just bought has my motorhome driving the best it ever has, and I don't mean by just a little it has completely eliminated the vibration and bounce and rides quiet almost a car feel ride, no more garbage truck ride..

I cant wait till spring to go on another long trip to enjoy its new smooth ride..
Old 11-20-2018, 07:16 PM   #55
lpc

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

Jack, I have found out today the 19.5 x 6.75 10 lug 225 bolt circle is no longer available (at least from accuride) It seems as if the 6.75" wide wheel is no longer made. My question do you think the 245 tires will work on a 6" wide wheel. I have asked some here and the answers varies. I have done a little research and have found the 245 ratio tire should be used on at least a 7" + wheel. For 2018 Ford still uses the 19.5 x 6.75" 10 lug 225 bolt circle wheel on there 20,500 # chassis, they put a 245 70R tire on it. There are some opinions the 245 tire on a 6.0" will will not allow the tire to take proper shape and may have side wall issues. This is getting very confusing to me. By the way Ford does make the 19.5 x 6.75 wheels, unfortunately they are about $600.00 each a bit pricey. I will continue to shop for a better set up. Personally I do not see where a 6.75 or 6.0 wide wheel could make that much of a difference. what do ya think?
Old 11-20-2018, 07:24 PM   #56
lpc

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
But it might still shake in the back.

I will have to say again the 6 new rims and tires I just bought has my motorhome driving the best it ever has, and I don't mean by just a little it has completely eliminated the vibration and bounce and rides quiet almost a car feel ride, no more garbage truck ride..

I cant wait till spring to go on another long trip to enjoy its new smooth ride..
well guys, I am working on the front first to determine if the majority of the vibrations are in fact coming from the front. I do believe that is the real area of concern, jack is correct when saying some vibration may be present form the rear. I will work in that direction. Jack look down a bit and see if ya can find a post to you. it is more of a question. Did you use 6" wide wheels are 6.75" wide wheels. Thank you. enjoy your holiday.

Tags
steering