Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2018, 08:47 AM   #1

Intermittent Slip/Power Loss

I've got a 1996 F53 chassis, with 54k miles on the 460/e4od combo. It's new to me, but I've taken a few trips. First one was no problem, but these last three I've had intermittent slipping or power loss, not really sure which. I'll be driving down the road and it will stop making any power, it still revs, and if I keep on it will start backfiring and/or bucking the whole vehicle. A simple shift into neutral and turn the key off and back on fixes it for awhile. My trip home yesterday was just over 3 hours and I had to restart it 3 times.

Oil is fresh, trans fluild/filter just changed (old fluid looked/smelled fine) - it did it before and after fluid/filter change.

No codes.

Any thoughts?
hoaxci5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2018, 08:56 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wet air Filter
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:54 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Loss of fuel pressure, install gauge and check specs, also could be rodent chewing spark plug wires, i would check fyel pressure first.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 05:44 PM   #4

I had a loaner fuel pressure gauge hooked up for a little bit but of course not when it was misbehaving. I don't mind adding a perminent one, but is there a way to connected it using the test port?

I'm thinking this guage/sending unit
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...9ROA0I31&psc=1

I would think some kind of shrader to 1/8-27 NPT adapter must exist but I'm striking out on finding it. Is there something else I should be searching?

As far as the wet filter goes, I can adjust the intake tube, but I haven't pulled the filter yet so it might be time anyways..
Old 01-02-2018, 10:12 PM   #5

Wet air filter is a 99 and later V10 problem. Not an issue on your 460.
Lots of fuel pump problems on the 97 and older F53 460 chassis.

Richard
House Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 01:40 PM   #6

I'm still trying to chase down this issue.

New fuel pump assembly, verified the tank was clean when I had it out.

New fuel pressure regulator, new spark plug wires, new ignition control module, secondary inline pump, bypassed the collision switch and ran a switched 12 volt wire back to the pump itself.

Other thoughts/suggestions?
Old 07-22-2019, 03:25 PM   #7

I hope I don't jinx it, but I've put about 1000 miles on after replacing the ECC with a manufactured one and it's been trouble-free so far.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:03 AM   #8

The original fuel pump wire is probably tied into the oil pressure sender so if the engine stalls or you are in an accident the fuel pump does not keep running. If you have found the issue you may want to switch this back to factory wiring.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power