Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2008, 06:30 AM   #1

I am having problems with the tial/brake lights on my TOAD, and I am looking for the "6 bulb to 4 bulb" converter on the motor home.

I have a 2007 Damon Challenger, 37' on a 2007 F53 chassis, with a trailer light (flat four) problem. I bought the Challenger new last September, and hooked up my TOAD right away. The TOAD is a 2007 Toyota Yaris with Toyota dealer-installed diodes on the Brake/Tail lights. This car had been wired for my previous motor home, and worked without a problem. The first time I towed it behind the Damon, the turn signals were reversed. Since I did not have time to trouble shoot, I rigged a quick jumper cable with the yellow and green wires reversed. This corrected the problem until the next time I used the rig, when the operation returned to normal without the jumper. I have not needed the jumper since.

In early 2008 while camping in Elkhart IN, I brought this up with Jeff Hakes, a former supervisor for Damon, now the service manager at TOTAL VALUE RV of INDIANA, an independent repair facility. At that time he had never heard of such a problem.

Since everything was fine at that time, I let it go. In the back of my mind though I suspected a defective "electronic converter" device used to convert the Damon's separate rear amber turn signal system to the four wire Flat-4 outlet at the hitch.

On a recent return from a camping trip, I noticed the right turn and brake light on the TOAD were not operating properly when hooked to the motor home. Again, I did not have time to do extensive troubleshooting, except to determine the bulb was OK.

Yesterday I finally got the rig out and tested the lights. First I hooked the car to my DW's Highlander and everything was fine, all lights worked properly. Then I hooked the TOAD to the Damon and all lights worked properly.

So twice the system has failed (that I know of ) each time with different symptoms/results and twice it has corrected itself.

My question for this FORUM is, does anyone know where the tail light flat-4 converter is? Is it a Ford part? Did Damon install it?

If it is not expensive I would like to replace it.

Jim

2007 Toyota Yaris TOAD
Admiral0647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2008, 06:30 AM   #2

I am having problems with the tial/brake lights on my TOAD, and I am looking for the "6 bulb to 4 bulb" converter on the motor home.

I have a 2007 Damon Challenger, 37' on a 2007 F53 chassis, with a trailer light (flat four) problem. I bought the Challenger new last September, and hooked up my TOAD right away. The TOAD is a 2007 Toyota Yaris with Toyota dealer-installed diodes on the Brake/Tail lights. This car had been wired for my previous motor home, and worked without a problem. The first time I towed it behind the Damon, the turn signals were reversed. Since I did not have time to trouble shoot, I rigged a quick jumper cable with the yellow and green wires reversed. This corrected the problem until the next time I used the rig, when the operation returned to normal without the jumper. I have not needed the jumper since.

In early 2008 while camping in Elkhart IN, I brought this up with Jeff Hakes, a former supervisor for Damon, now the service manager at TOTAL VALUE RV of INDIANA, an independent repair facility. At that time he had never heard of such a problem.

Since everything was fine at that time, I let it go. In the back of my mind though I suspected a defective "electronic converter" device used to convert the Damon's separate rear amber turn signal system to the four wire Flat-4 outlet at the hitch.

On a recent return from a camping trip, I noticed the right turn and brake light on the TOAD were not operating properly when hooked to the motor home. Again, I did not have time to do extensive troubleshooting, except to determine the bulb was OK.

Yesterday I finally got the rig out and tested the lights. First I hooked the car to my DW's Highlander and everything was fine, all lights worked properly. Then I hooked the TOAD to the Damon and all lights worked properly.

So twice the system has failed (that I know of ) each time with different symptoms/results and twice it has corrected itself.

My question for this FORUM is, does anyone know where the tail light flat-4 converter is? Is it a Ford part? Did Damon install it?

If it is not expensive I would like to replace it.

Jim

2007 Toyota Yaris TOAD
Old 09-23-2008, 12:43 PM   #3

Ford provides two completely different circuits sets for coach and trailer lights. There are unique wires and fuses for the coach and trailer plug.

Exactly how Damon used what Ford provided is the real question. On my brother's Four Winds C, the coach lights and the trailer plug are hooked to what Ford provided for the trailer lights.

I only have an '03 Ford wiring diagram handy, your owners manual should have the fuse info for yours. On an '03 fuses 2.6 and 2.12 are the left and right trailer turn signals fuses. Fuse 2.1 appears to be the coach turn signals. You could pull those one at a time and see what lights stop working to figure out what is going where.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:50 PM   #4

Thanks for the suggestion.

Jim

2007 Toyota Yaris TOAD