Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #1

Is my RV shifting when it should?

I have a 2006 Ford V10 Chassis. I just returned from a trip through the Canadian Rockies. I was traveling with two other coaches and they were climbing hills faster than I normally do.

I noticed that when the cruise control was on the transmission would downshift and the tach would read around 5000 RPM’s but when the cruise control was off and I pressed the gas pedal to the floor my MH would slowly climb the hill in a higher gear at 3000 RPM’s. I could turn on the cruise control mid hill and the transmission would shift down to a lower gear and the RPM’s would go up or I could manually downshift to a lower gear. It did this with Tow Haul on and with Tow Haul off.

Sometimes I can press on the gas and it downshifts and sometimes it will not downshift. It appears to not downshift on the steeper climbs. Now this could be all in my head but I have owned this RV since it was new and I don’t remember it not downshifting.

In my normal driving, when the cruise control downshifts and the RPM’s go up to 5000 RPM’s I will tap the brake and climb the hill at 4000 RPM’s or less. Is it possible that I have trained the computer to my style of driving?

Once we were out of the mountains my RV drove normally, or I think it did.

Thanks for the input.

JD

Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #2

Talk to Mike at 5Star.

Why does my V10 shift horribly?

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi and welcome

Hope you enjoyed your drive through the Canadian Rocky Mountains
Your transmission performed as it was programmed to do.
If you want to learn more about reprogramming your transmission, please search for both 5 Star and Brazels. Both are well known here.
You don't have to retune your transmission if you don't want to. It will work well the way it is.
Enjoy your travels
Old 09-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguyfromcalg View Post
You don't have to retune your transmission if you don't want to.
But if you do, the driving experience will be much more pleasant. I have the "87 Octane Every Day Tow" tune from 5 Star Tuning and it makes a world of difference.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #5

Mike at 5Star can build you any tune (within reason) you want. You can get a programmer with 3 tunes in it.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #6

The cruise control will maintain the set speed that you have. It is more reactive in a way that it will see the increased load and speed reduction. The PCM controls the cruise control along with the transmission functions. The speed control is likely reacting faster than you do with your foot so it is able to down shift to a lower gear and thus allows for higher RPMs. Sounds like it is working correctly and nothing to worry about.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Is it correct to assume that when in either cruise and or tow-haul and the engine revs high it doesn't harm the engine?
Old 09-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #8

it is within its limits. However I try to not allow mine to stay at high RPMs for extended periods of time either. But lugging is not the best either. Under heavy loads and lugging, the cooling system is not pulling the heat to the radiator as fast as if it were at high RPMs.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:07 PM   #9

Thanks for the responses. It is good to know that my system is normal.

I live not too far from Brazels and I have talked to them at rallies about other things.

Next time I see Brazels at a rally I will talk to them about transmission issues.

Thanks again for the info and safe travels.

JD
Old 09-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #10

I've had time to think about my trip through the Canadian Rockies.

Last year I was towing a car on a trailer and I didn’t notice a lot of resistance climbing mountains. This year I changed to towing a car four down and my Motor Home had more difficulty climbing the grades.

After thinking about this for a while I have come to the conclusion that the reason for the greater difficulty climbing grades this year is because I am now towing four down. When towing four down I am turning the running gear in the car and that is creating more resistance than the freewheeling tires on my trailer.

I noticed this when I first switched from my trailer to towing four down. When I start from a stop it was easier to get my trailer to start moving than my car. I asked online and someone answered that when towing my car four down I was turning the running gear.

Have a great day.

JD