RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2015, 08:44 PM   #43

Excellent information and that helps quantify the possible improvement. If it improved mileage by 1mpg that would add up over time.

Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2015, 09:00 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady_Rest View Post
Quote from an article about the 6R140 transmission, no mention of it coupled to a V10 or a gas powered vehicle that weighs 20k plus. Claim 15% improvement in trucks equipped with 6.2l gas V8. The 6.2l is a large bore, short stroke high reving engine.
Those figures don't really say much about the transmission. Both the 6.7 Diesel and 6.2 Gas where new for MY 2011. The big gains in fuel efficiency where probably mostly due to the new more modern engines.

As I said I could find no comparison of the same engine between 5 and 6 speed tranny to get a good idea of how much mileage it actually improves.

jharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:32 PM   #45

Yes, I noticed that the engines were also new. I should have mentioned all the drive train parameters changed. Probably will never see the comparison unless a back yard mechanic connects a 6R140 to his older powerplant. Ford will only describe overall improvement and truck reviews will do the same. The first production comparison will be on the rvs and for that we will have to rely on rv owners, so that means it will never be known.

For more useless information, the link below is a reveiw of the 2012 Ford V10 powered F-650 dump truck. They reported 5.7 mpg with the cruise set at 70. They also defined the transmission as a 6r410 for added amusement. The gear ratio of the F-650 is 7.17:1

2012 Ford F-650 Dump Truck First Test - Motor Trend

Speaking of gear ratios. Many years ago in the 70's I was driving to Portland on I-5 in my 70 440 'Cuda and I slowly passed a club convoy of corvettes, just to see them all. After I pulled ahead successive Vettes pulled along side me and challenged for a burst of accleration. My Cuda had a special ordered 2:93:1 ratio for economy and at freeway speeds the acceleration was quite good and frustrated the Vette owners that day. Standard ratio was the 3:35:1 on the Cudas. Wish I had the optional 2:76:1 which was also available.

Kevin

Steady_Rest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, f53