Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2018, 10:03 AM   #1

Late model F53 5Star and Banks Intake

Reopening up an old age discussion but could not find any threads that I could still post too (too old). I want to get some validation on points I see here on Banks intake with or without the 5star tune.

This is for 2016+ F53's with the 6 speed.

1. Intake noise. I keep seeing this but no one qualifies it. Do you hear the difference just at WOT or during normal driving and idle? How much loader is it, i.e. do you need to turn the radio up and talk louder?

2. On 2016 and up Ford claims they redesigned a lot on the engine, manifold and even exhaust but I know the new 6 speed has horrible shift patterns. So the 5Star is almost mandatory. But, does the banks help with F53's of 2016 and later?

As mentioned, I am getting a 5Star tune as I have seen it work in my previous MH, just need to unlock my tuner first as I forgot to unmary it. But really thinking about the Banks intake but not sure with how much work ford has done.
gauthig is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2018, 03:51 PM   #2

Hi

I have a 2016 with the 6 speed. Now that it has been re-flashed by Ford, I would not say that it has a horrible shift pattern.

Before the re-flash, yes. After, no.

I do have a 5 Star tune now. I do not think there is that much of a difference with the shifts, except for they hold gear a little longer.

If you are looking to buy, I would not let the transmission be a deal breaker. I love my F53.

Bill
2016 Itasca Sunstar LX 27n, unattractive brownish hue. 530 Watts roof mounted solar, 165 Watts portable solar, Winegard G2 Sat Antenna, Progressive Industries Surge Protector, TPMS, Sirius Satellite Radio.
superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:08 PM   #3

Superluckey what was the transmission shifting issue you had ?
Old 05-18-2018, 08:17 AM   #4

The earlier builds had a problem with the transmission not automatically downshifting when braking. If you were attempting to stop at a light or going down a steep hill, a tap of the brakes was supposed to automatically downshift the transmission through the gears.
You could not manually downshift because the shift lever would skip 3rd gear, which was the most important gear when slowing.

The re-flash corrected all of these problems
Bill
2016 Itasca Sunstar LX 27n, unattractive brownish hue. 530 Watts roof mounted solar, 165 Watts portable solar, Winegard G2 Sat Antenna, Progressive Industries Surge Protector, TPMS, Sirius Satellite Radio.
superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:56 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Regarding the OP's question, I'm not sure from your comment whether your impressions of the shift patterns on the 6-speed are from your own experience or from some anecdotal data that someone else gave you. But I've had the 6-speed since I got my coach in 2016, and I'm very happy with the way it shifts and the way it keeps the engine in the optimal RPM range. I personally don't think there's any need for the 5Star on this unless you want it for more power or some other reason, but certainly not because of the way the 6-speed operates.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 05:23 PM   #6

After reading the post from Superlucky I called a ford truck center and they told me there was an update I needed for downshifting. I scheduled an appointment for that next week. They also told me uphill shift patterns have changed slightly.

Thanks, I stick with that.
gauthig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauthig View Post
After reading the post from Superlucky I called a ford truck center and they told me there was an update I needed for downshifting. I scheduled an appointment for that next week. They also told me uphill shift patterns have changed slightly.

Thanks, I stick with that.
gauthing ,did they indicate when this change took place?
My 24 K 2017 chassis was built 1-2017
Old 05-19-2018, 06:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by superlucky View Post
The earlier builds had a problem with the transmission not automatically downshifting when braking. If you were attempting to stop at a light or going down a steep hill, a tap of the brakes was supposed to automatically downshift the transmission through the gears.
You could not manually downshift because the shift lever would skip 3rd gear, which was the most important gear when slowing.

The re-flash corrected all of these problems
Bill
Thanks Bill,

I wish my transmission was somewhere in-between your original and current setup.
I would prefer my trans not downshift quite so quickly descending down hill with light break pressure.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:43 AM   #9

After I had the 6-speed flash, I no longer felt the need to get the 5_Star tune.

The V-10 gets it power with RPM so it will get louder when you need the power.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f53