Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2016, 10:39 AM   #1

Leaking hydroboost

I've got a new one. A mechanic pointed out that my hydroboost unit is leaking and that I should replace it and the master cylinder just to be safe. The front end of the unit has always looked a little wet and I've owned the vehicle for ~3 years. No noticeable loss of brake or power steering fluid, so it has to be a very minor leak. I'm wondering whether it's worth proactively replacing both at great expense, or do watchful waiting and keep an eye on it. We 're planning on doing some traveling with it this winter - beginning retirement in January.

Ron Everson
Cortez, Colorado
1996 Bounder 34J
1995 F53 chassis w/460 - ~51K miles
Ron Everson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2016, 10:49 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
It's not a "new one." Any liquid in a system has the potential to leak. I'd carefully clean as much of the "wet" as you can from around the components of the hydraulic system, fill to proper level and mark it. Then observe any fresh leaks, level changes, etc. It could be nothing, it could be a major expense, time will tell. The mechanic's observation and recommendation was one opinion, get more info and perhaps more opinions before changing out the whole system.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:05 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine has always looked wet also but works fine.

/
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:37 AM   #4

After looking at mine again last night (in the dark) - it's really wet. The wet area spreads to below the unit on the frame. No drips, but it's really wet. I need to clean it up & see if I can identify where the fluid is coming from. Not sure if I can even identify if it's red or not - not enough fluid & too much oily dirt. I'll post a pic when I can see it in daylight.

Thanks, Ron Everson.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:54 AM   #5

Just to make sure, you know the hydroboost uses power steering fluid pressure. The P/S fluid may be clear or brown if old. Might be red if someone used trans fluid for filling/topping off the P/S fluid. Brake fluid of course is basically clear. You might be able to tell by smell, since it will be hard to tell color when mixed with dirt and rusty surfaces.

If the hydroboost is leaking, but master cyl is fine, I do not see reason to replace the master cyl if not req'd. That adds a lot of labor and expense. If the hydroboost leak has contaminated the back inside of the master cyl, then yes the master cyl should be replaced since the oil-based P/S fluid may cause problems with the seals in master cyl. Oil-based causes the rubber to swell.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:57 PM   #6

Just checked with O'Reilly Auto Parts. $500.00 for both. Ouch! I've never had to add power steering fluid - it's always been on the full mark. Guess I'll check again. I have added a little brake fluid once just to make sure it was topped off. Don't think I overfilled. The rubber boot at the front of the master cylinder has deteriorated so you can see the shaft and it is exposed to the elements.

Ron Everson
Old 10-12-2016, 07:20 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
In 2009. exiting I-40 in Asheville NC, the brake pedal on my '87 Pace Arrow, went to the floor. No problem, I parked on the McDonalds lot, and called Road Service. Got towed to Tom Johnson RV in Marion, NC. They replaced the Hydroboost and master cylinder for $1,150. Picked it up 2weeks later, and paid $600.00 more for the power steering pump, which they said blew out on the road test. No more problems. Eddie Elk
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '03 Honda CRV, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:21 AM   #8

Rebuilt hydroboost is $130 - $275 from Rock Auto depending on brand you choose.

Tags
leak