Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2014, 07:11 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
I wouldn't change your hoses unless they are leaking. The thing with hydraulic hoses is that the bend radius for a 3/8" hose is around 5" (?), these on my MH were pretty close to that if not sharper. Because of this, the hoses became more "stressed" at the fitting and finally gave out; but it's been over 15 years too. I removed the hose fitting from the cylinder and caught what little fluid in a milk carton. I then remove all clamps holding the hose so I could lower the hose to ground level. What I did then, to make the hose more manageable to work, with I cut it in two with my my dremel tool that has a small (1-1/4") cutoff wheel. Once I cut through the hose it drained what remaining fluid that was in the hose, I had a oil drain pan that I used to catch this fluid. After drain the hose I only got about an 1" of fluid in a quart milk jug. I really don't think there was any pressure on the hose as it didn't squirt out like there was. Removing the front portion of the hose was easy, the rear portion was a lot tougher as it was placed along the top side of the rail frame where there were wire looms etc. running too. I'll run my hoses a different route where I put them back in, as Fleetwood said "keep them away from the exhaust". If you are going to remove your cylinder remove the hose from it prior to removing the cylinder. I know that when I replaced my cylinders that I did not bleed any of the lines, I just ran the cylinders up and down and keep checking the fluid level. I did this about 8-10 times and all seemed good. I also think I read somewhere on the forum that they did not need to be bleed. Also anytime you add fluid make sure your jacks are retracked.

Tips are removing the cylinders: If you have room for impact wrench, it will be close to a piece of cake. I had three bolts that I removed in minutes, the other three I had to use an 18" breaker bar to break these free. I used a 3/4" impact socket (more durable) than a regular socket - just about rounded the heads just enough to cause to real heartburn! I used my floorjack, raised it up to the footpad to hold the cylinder in place while removing all bolts, I used the same method to put the cylinder back in place. There just really is not a lot of room working on these, it's doable though! Hey, I'm 69 and weigh about 150 lbs. dripping wet and I was able to "git-r-done!" Feel free to send a PM if you need any more info.

Good luck.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2014, 10:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98FPA View Post
I wouldn't change your hoses unless they are leaking. The thing with hydraulic hoses is that the bend radius for a 3/8" hose is around 5" (?), these on my MH were pretty close to that if not sharper. Because of this, the hoses became more "stressed" at the fitting and finally gave out; but it's been over 15 years too. I removed the hose fitting from the cylinder and caught what little fluid in a milk carton. I then remove all clamps holding the hose so I could lower the hose to ground level. What I did then, to make the hose more manageable to work, with I cut it in two with my my dremel tool that has a small (1-1/4") cutoff wheel. Once I cut through the hose it drained what remaining fluid that was in the hose, I had a oil drain pan that I used to catch this fluid. After drain the hose I only got about an 1" of fluid in a quart milk jug. I really don't think there was any pressure on the hose as it didn't squirt out like there was. Removing the front portion of the hose was easy, the rear portion was a lot tougher as it was placed along the top side of the rail frame where there were wire looms etc. running too. I'll run my hoses a different route where I put them back in, as Fleetwood said "keep them away from the exhaust". If you are going to remove your cylinder remove the hose from it prior to removing the cylinder. I know that when I replaced my cylinders that I did not bleed any of the lines, I just ran the cylinders up and down and keep checking the fluid level. I did this about 8-10 times and all seemed good. I also think I read somewhere on the forum that they did not need to be bleed. Also anytime you add fluid make sure your jacks are retracked. Tips are removing the cylinders: If you have room for impact wrench, it will be close to a piece of cake. I had three bolts that I removed in minutes, the other three I had to use an 18" breaker bar to break these free. I used a 3/4" impact socket (more durable) than a regular socket - just about rounded the heads just enough to cause to real heartburn! I used my floorjack, raised it up to the footpad to hold the cylinder in place while removing all bolts, I used the same method to put the cylinder back in place. There just really is not a lot of room working on these, it's doable though! Hey, I'm 69 and weigh about 150 lbs. dripping wet and I was able to "git-r-done!" Feel free to send a PM if you need any more info. Good luck.
Thanks for the info!
chucksel is offline   Reply With Quote