RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Leaking left front jack and "jacks down" indicator beeping

Hi, my left front jack had a small pool of hydraulic fluid from leaking while it was extended down on my last RV'ing trip. The jacks are all working but now I get an annoying beeping warning and the "jacks down" light comes on even when they are completely up. I could not see a pressure/contact switch by the jacks that would indicate a "jack down" condition so I am ASSUMING that there is not enough hydraulic fluid pressure and that is causing the "jacks down" light and warning.

For the life of me I couldn't find where I add hydraulic fluid for the jacks. I see where the lines go into. Do I replace the jack or have it rebuilt or rebuild it myself????

I have had shoulder surgery lately and the wife is getting tired of crawling under the dash to disconnect the jack control to disable the beeping that occurs while we are driving. LOL

Best to you all,

Chucksel
2000 Fleetwood Flair 32V
Triton V10 / F53 chassis

chucksel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
If they are Bigfoot jacks the oil fill is on top of the tank by the jack . Mine has a plastic cover over the whole thing .I also have switches at each jack for when they are up .
So if you have a different brand then I don't know.

Excell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:39 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you have factory jacks, they are Power Gear,You add fluid by removing the white plastic plug with the wire going to it. This is just a float switch that causes the jacks down alarm. It senses that jacks are down because the fluid goes into the jacks and brings the reservoir level down. Of course it does the same thing if the fluid level is low. The jacks can be rebuilt much cheaper by a local hyd. rebuilder...
Old 07-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
If you have factory jacks, they are Power Gear,You add fluid by removing the white plastic plug with the wire going to it. This is just a float switch that causes the jacks down alarm. It senses that jacks are down because the fluid goes into the jacks and brings the reservoir level down. Of course it does the same thing if the fluid level is low. The jacks can be rebuilt much cheaper by a local hyd. rebuilder...
Thanks. They are factory. Where is the reservoir with the wire located and what fluid should I use?

MANY THANKS!
Old 07-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksel View Post
Thanks. They are factory. Where is the reservoir with the wire located and what fluid should I use?

MANY THANKS!
You can use mercon auto trans fluid. Fleetwood likes to install them in front of the right front wheel, but it could be elsewhere. It is a metal tank about 15 in. high and 6 in. in diameter. It is easy to find the motor and tank. Go to the front jack and follow the Hyd. hose until you find the tank.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:15 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
So I imagine that since it knows jacks are down because fluid is low, fluid should only be added when jacks are up? If adding fluid when jacks are down would cause it to overflow when they come back up?
Old 07-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksel View Post
So I imagine that since it knows jacks are down because fluid is low, fluid should only be added when jacks are up? If adding fluid when jacks are down would cause it to overflow when they come back up?
Yes. Only fill the tank with all jacks fully retracted !
Old 07-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To find the tank... Have someone operate the jacks while you do the walk around and LISTEN for the pump, Tank is,,, bolted to the pump (or rather the other way around).
Old 08-23-2013, 09:17 PM   #9

My tank is behind the chassis battery on the passenger side, 99 FW pace arrow vision. Had to remove battery to fill, no big deal.
nazoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:20 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have yet to get it back out of storage and hunt the tank down but I have enough info from this thread to get me started. Thanks, everyone.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:39 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazoomer View Post
My tank is behind the chassis battery on the passenger side, 99 FW pace arrow vision. Had to remove battery to fill, no big deal.

So to put some closure to this thread, the jacks down indicator and alarm beeping was because the tank was low even though the jacks continued to work. Once I topped off the jack reservoir tank with Dexron III ATF fluid, it was all good. The reservoir tank was on the driver side behind a removable panel where the house batteries were. Removed the 4 sheet metal screws that held the panel on and it was right there within easy reach. Unscrew the 1" SAE bolt that serves as the cap/lid and filled with fluid just until it begins to leak out the top and bolt it back down. Altars and jacks up light and beeping gone.

NOW....onto removing the offending leaky jack to get it fixed, rebuilt or replaced. The jack oozes fluid around the extended cylinder when it is down...not around any of the connections to the hoses.

Anyone know what kind of place would replace what I think would be a seal? What place would I Google or Internet search for??
Old 04-01-2014, 09:07 AM   #12

Have you contacted the manufacture of the jack system? If your not sure which company manufactured your jacks, contact Fleetwood. They can look up your MH using your VIN and tell you which system is installed. Contact the jack manufacturer and see if it is something that is repairable and what parts (seals) are required. It is not repairable they can tell you where/how to order a new jack.
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:03 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
The jacks on my 98 Pace Arrow are Power Gear. I just, within the past 6 months, had both rear jacks re-sealed at our local hydraulics shop. Check the phone directory, I'll bet you have one near by. Each one was right at $120.00 but I removed them myself, which was more than a chore. Unless something is wrong with the cylinder rod or barrel they can probably be re-sealed. After all of this work, all 3 hoses to the cylinders started leaking around the crimped fittings on the end of the hoses! My short hose (64") long cost around $45.00, the other hoses to the rear (30+Ft. and 27+Ft) will probably cost in the range of $175-200 each.

Since you just had shoulder surgery awhile back, this is probably something that will have to be done by someone else. Your are probably looking at 5-8 hour job? Good luck on your project and keep us updated.

Let's going camping!
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:59 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98FPA View Post
The jacks on my 98 Pace Arrow are Power Gear. I just, within the past 6 months, had both rear jacks re-sealed at our local hydraulics shop. Check the phone directory, I'll bet you have one near by. Each one was right at $120.00 but I removed them myself, which was more than a chore. Unless something is wrong with the cylinder rod or barrel they can probably be re-sealed. After all of this work, all 3 hoses to the cylinders started leaking around the crimped fittings on the end of the hoses! My short hose (64") long cost around $45.00, the other hoses to the rear (30+Ft. and 27+Ft) will probably cost in the range of $175-200 each.

Since you just had shoulder surgery awhile back, this is probably something that will have to be done by someone else. Your are probably looking at 5-8 hour job? Good luck on your project and keep us updated.

Let's going camping!
*wince* My 2000 is probably close behind on the hoses issue as your 1998. Great advice. I'll pull it myself if it doesn't irritate the hose! Wondering if I'll need to drain the line first or if there is any pressure in the system. Any need to bleed after reinstall like you would a brake line?