RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2009, 03:17 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Leaking Power Steering Pump

Hi!

I have a 2001 Ford F53 20,500 GVWR chassis under my 2002 Damon Challenger

A couple of days ago I noted a dark spot in the gravel and on checking I saw tranny fluid on the cross member. The fluid had dripped from the power steering pump bottom connection for the hose that runs from the reservoir.

The reservoir was dry. Yesterday I tightened the hose clamp at the pump and dropped in a liter of Mercon compatable fluid - this morning there was all kinds of fluid around the clamp and dripping on the cross member.

There was no sign of fluid crawling along the hose from the reservoir.

This leaking connection had never been opened in the past so I removed the hose, cut an inch off and reassembled with new clamp. My limited manual and visual examination of the hose connector on the pump gave no indication of corrosion or breakage. The piece I cut off the hose showed no sign of interior failure

The leak continues at an increased rate.

Has anyone had a similar problem with this connection? Any ideas? I am sure when I talk to Ford tomorrow they will tell me that I can not get a replacement connector and will have to buy the whole pump assy.

Thanks for your help,

Preston

All of the best and safe driving,
prsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2009, 09:29 PM   #2

Preston, is it leaking with or without the engine running? If leaking with engine off, I would clean all the fluid off the PS unit and hoses as best I could, then refill reservoir and watch the unit closely to see where the leaking fluid begins to accumulate on the unit or hoses.

That's the best suggestion I can make, perhaps others can be of more help.

Best of luck, Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:06 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply.

It is leaking with the engine off. I did remove the hose when I cut the end off it. This drained the pump. I reinstalled the hose and refilled the reservoir - the leaking started immediately at the fitting. It leaks so rapidly that I can not tell if it is seeping from between the hose and the fitting or between the fitting and the pump body. There is no fluid at all on the pump body.

I think I wil replace the whole hose today - hose is cheap. If that does not work I will have to take the rig to the dealer. I do not have the tools to remove the pump or fitting. Arrrgghh

Preston

Old 11-12-2009, 10:55 AM   #4

Hi Preston, If the hose doesn't do it, it could be the fitting and/or a fracture in the metal where the fitting attaches to the reservoir body. Hope it's just the hose, keeping fingers crossed.

Good luck, Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:35 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thank goodness it's the low pressure (return) side.
Be careful with that problem, remember that pump runs the hydroboost for your power brakes too.

At least with the GM stuff I am more familiar with, the reservior is a separate part, the pump plugs into it and bolts down. You generally don't buy the entire assembly, just plug a new pump into your old reservior if your pump is leaking.

but you have the opposite problem.

Best guess is it is leaking where the fitting tube is crimped into the reservior. I'd take it off, take it apart, clean it good, and mig weld all around where the fitting peirces the reservior.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:31 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Jim and Jim,

We have the pump which feeds the P/s and the HydroMax (boost) for the brakes. Then there is the reservoir about 3 feet away accessable from the front access cover (hood?). There is a 3/4 " hose connecting the pump and reservoir. It is the nipple on the pump that is leaking.

Ford does not source the hose and I was able to find 4 ft of it at a hydraulic shop. I replaced the hose and just slipped about 1/4 " of it over the bulge at the end of the pump nipple and clamped. Put a cup of Auto Trans fluid in the reservoir - there was no leak from around the hose - it leaked where the end of the 1 1/2 " long nipple entered the right angled fitting that is about a 1 1/2" square block of metal that is screwed into the pump with a 32mm hex nut.

I have ordered a new fitting from Ford but it will not be in until mid week (I am Canadian and it is coming from the US). Even when it arrives I think I will really have trouble removing the fitting from the pump - I will try to find a long 32 mm wrench today - I could not move it with my 16 in adjustable.

Tomorrow I will try some J-B weld at the base of the nipple to see if it will seal the crack. I was able to remove most of the fluid from the interior of the nipple by letting a paper towel soak it up and then I sprayed the exterior with brake cleaner. Since I am doing this outside at freezing temperatures I have to let it set for a couple of days before trying it.

Will let you know how it goes

Preston

Old 11-14-2009, 07:38 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
good luck Preston. J-B can work miracles, just make sure all traces of oil are gone b 4 you put it on.

JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote