Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2015, 06:40 PM   #1

Learned something about CC today

While on cruise control today, as I crested a hill and started down the other side, as the coach started to pick up speed, the tranny downshifted to keep the speed down. The tow/haul mode does that but I didn't know the CC did also,,, pretty neat.
Peteyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2015, 07:03 PM   #2

Read the Owner's Manual. Amazing what you can learn there.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:09 PM   #3

Never thought of that, thank you.
Peteyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 07:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckinley View Post
Read the Owner's Manual. Amazing what you can learn there.
Hahaha, Shhhhhhhhhhhhh, don't tell anyone that. I have made a career of RTFM where no one else was willing to.
It's a great idea isn't it!!
Old 12-20-2015, 07:57 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Highway I-49 going from I-40 up to Bentonville, AR is a fairly new road and travels through some pretty high hills with low valleys. It's only about 1700 feet at it's highest but still some steep hills and valleys. We drive that road often. If you have a chance it's a nice drive. It is very beautiful. They don't allow billboards so it has remained somewhat pristine.

It does stand to reason that the CC would DS. It does want to keep you at your selected cruise speed and about the only way is to DS. Most times I go off CC because I want the speed to get up the other side. However when in T/H and CC I don't like the violent way the down shifting takes place. Coming out of St' Louis cresting a hill it went from 5th to 3rd and I was worried that the guy behind me was going to hit us. That was not fun. I understand the concept but Ford not allowing 4th gear is kind of crazy. The 5-Star TUNE should take care of that. I'm not sure because I still avoid T/H in hilly country.

TeJay
Old 12-20-2015, 01:44 PM   #6

I do like the T/H mode going down steeper slopes because when you start slow at the top and speeds start to gain, you step on the brake to slow and the T/H will have the trany change down a gear. Then when you start to gain speed again in the lower gear and step on the brake again, the tranny will downshift again. The computer won't let you over rev the engine so won't downshift into the real low gears unless you are going pretty slow. When I get near the bottom, I shut off the T/H so I can start to gain up to cruise speed or to tackle the climb on the next hill. Or at least this is the way it works on my chassis.
Milehghcty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 01:56 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteyboy View Post
While on cruise control today, as I crested a hill and started down the other side, as the coach started to pick up speed, the tranny downshifted to keep the speed down. The tow/haul mode does that but I didn't know the CC did also,,, pretty neat.
Good info Peteyboy. Some people might not know this since a lot of people instinctively turn off the cruise control going down long grades. I had a 2003 Acura do this to me and it was a pleasant surprise the first time I experienced it.
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote