RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2019, 12:08 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Let's see who agrees with.....it's the TPS!!

Back again, posted before about the issues with my 2003 v-10 F-53 chassis. Intermittent, but worse now, acceleration, stumble, rough run, etc...

This weekend things stepped up a little, now, in addition to original issues with stumbling on acceleration, rough engine at certain rpm's and other symptoms, here is latest.... SEVERE engine shutter upon light acceleration especially in cruise. Without cruise I could alleviate by harder acceleration forcing a down shift, still not smooth but didn't shutter like in cruise. While driving light acceleration caused noticeable engine shutter, as if the accelerator was being "pumped" very rapidly. Also engine feels like it is not sure what the accelerator position is, on medium acceleration engine will "hunt" for proper speed for accelerator position ( my words). It will gradually go to different rpms with same pedal position......WELL DUH...Throttle position sensor!!

Thoughts?

THanks

trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2019, 03:05 PM   #2

You might also have a bad coil pack or spark plug boot. Had 2 fail on my 1999 V-10. Would shudder under load unless I downshifted and let it run at high RPM. The rubber boot which covers the connection between the coil and the plug can deteriorate which causes misfires on that cylinder. In my case I had 2 coil packs that would break down under load. If you have the correct diagnostic OBD2 reader, it will tell you which cylinders are misfiring. Or you can take it to Ford and they will fix it for $$$$$$. Or, just buy 1 coil and boot assembly, replace #1 coil and see if it gets better. If not, put old ones back and put new on in #2. Keep on doing that until it gets better. Might have to buy more than 1 coil to get it all fixed.

890ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 890ken View Post
You might also have a bad coil pack or spark plug boot. Had 2 fail on my 1999 V-10. Would shudder under load unless I downshifted and let it run at high RPM. The rubber boot which covers the connection between the coil and the plug can deteriorate which causes misfires on that cylinder. In my case I had 2 coil packs that would break down under load. If you have the correct diagnostic OBD2 reader, it will tell you which cylinders are misfiring. Or you can take it to Ford and they will fix it for $$$$$$. Or, just buy 1 coil and boot assembly, replace #1 coil and see if it gets better. If not, put old ones back and put new on in #2. Keep on doing that until it gets better. Might have to buy more than 1 coil to get it all fixed.
that's what I did was 1st coil changed out (luck!) solved problem ..
Old 02-18-2019, 03:32 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Have you considered getting an engine scanner? That might be the best place to start.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:51 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Have you considered getting an engine scanner? That might be the best place to start.
suggestions, I took to shop had it scanned even though no check engine light, they found no codes

not wanting to just throw parts at it, shop I go to says they could not reproduce same problem on test drive, yet it happens every time I use it. I leave it at the shop for 2 days, they drive around the block at 35-40 then come back and park, call me and tell me it runs fine.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:55 PM   #6

Take it to your local Ford dealership and let them worry about it.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:00 PM   #7

Yes, a good OBDII reader would be a great help here. From your description, it sounds like a secondary voltage problem, either plugs need to be replaced, and maybe the coil packs. Your description sounds like the problems that happen with a distributor engine, when the plug wiring starts to breakdown and leak voltage.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:21 AM   #8

Been there done this........

Missfire On V10 With No Code

Shuttering. Not really missing, just shuttering.
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:15 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You might check the crank sensor if it has one. It's about a $35.00 part and a pain to get to on the lower front of the motor. Had to replace the one in mine last fall after replacing the fuel pump. Gave the same symptoms as a bad fuel pump.
rvmike1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:03 PM   #10

The coil over plug system that this series of engine uses has a long history of misfire under load. Scan tools are cheap. I'd start there.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:50 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've worked on a lot of vehicles with issues like what you're explaining. I don't have the equipment unless you find a good diagnostic technician a shop will start replacing parts until it gets fixed. Could it be a TPS, or MAP, or CPU, or Coil, or CSPS (Crank Shaft Position Sensor) etc,etc,etc!! yes it could be any one of those so you deal with the symptoms.

Ignition coil issues usually mssfire or fail under moderate to heavy acceleration or LOAD. We called these secondary insulation breakdown. When the engine is loaded down the coil output increases and insulation that did contain the secondary voltage now breaks down.

I don't have the tools but it's not so much the scanners one needs but the knowledge to trace the symptoms and understand what the scanners are telling you. The scanners read codes which points in a direction and they can read live data from sensors. Scanners nor codes tell the tech which part to replace.

I would do this if it were me. You don't necessarily need a Ford technician or Ford shop. You need a skilled technician. I'd go to my local sources and find a tech with scanners who can troubleshoot. I have a student (graduated in 1995) who is one of the best in the area and I'd ask him for the help. He's an independent so his scanners will usually work on all vehicles.

I also know of a real good diagnostic Ford technician who has access to scanners but they usually don't work on RV's. The Service Manager at that shop is also another X student of mine and he would I'm sure allow his tech to take the stuff home or work on it out in the back lot on some Saturday when they are not to busy.

Go to different shops in your area and ask some questions to find someone who might do some diagnostics for you on a week end. If a shop does not seem to want to help then maybe they don't have any quality techs. That means they are parts changers and that's not what you want or need. So move on!!

Remember even a blind squirrel can usually find a few nuts.

Here's another way to look at this. Your unit is a 2003. Maybe it's time anyway to change the coils. There's several threads on aftermarket coils that are way cheaper than the $100 ones at the dealers. You're not troubleshooting but you're changing parts that may need changed anyway. The same for the plugs. If it runs well you fixed it. If it's the same you'll know those parts are not the problem. Two less things some shop might think needed changed.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvmike1227 View Post
You might check the crank sensor if it has one. It's about a $35.00 part and a pain to get to on the lower front of the motor. Had to replace the one in mine last fall after replacing the fuel pump. Gave the same symptoms as a bad fuel pump.
I just had this same issue with my 2005 Ram Truck. Same symptoms and it was indeed the crankshaft position sensor.
MetalGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 02:45 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigzag03 View Post
The coil over plug system that this series of engine uses has a long history of misfire under load. Scan tools are cheap. I'd start there.
What scan tool, looking on internet I see many, descriptions confound me relating to different computer systems they are compatible with.

A suggestion?
Old 02-23-2019, 03:30 PM   #14

I bought a basic "read and clear" device from Autozone for $30, and I have the much more capable Scangauge II which was available several months back for $80. I'll see if I can find that post.