RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2019, 08:11 AM   #43

Ford Super Duty Owner
Alex,

What I've done so far is set the pressures 25,30,35 front and 50, or 55 rear then measure from the center of the wheel up to the edge of the wheel well on level ground and record the results. This will give me a ball park dimension for how level the RV is. Once I have an average I can work with that.

When filling the bags even the small amount of air lost when checking the pressures can drop the pressures 1/2 of a LB. One just has to accept how to do it. The bags are so small compared to a tire just a very small amount will/can change the air pressures by 2-5 lbs. One little slip and you've lost 4 or 5 lbs.

That was the other reason for locating the schrader valves where I can stand up and easily see to check and fill the bags.

I've ordered a small (it weighs 5-lbs) compressor to be mounted permanently under the hood where I've located the 4 schrader valves. I can easily monitor and then fill as needed. Also checking for leaks by filling and checking every few hours. Remember temps will change settings. If the pressures change due to increased temps they should both change the same or close to it.

We are leaving for a few days but I can send you the make and number for this little air compressor. I think it will work just fine.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2019, 08:16 AM   #44

Thanks TeJay. Can you post a picture of where you located the Schroeder valves in the front? I might do the same as that seems like an easy place to fill.

Shiba_Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:12 AM   #45

Ford Super Duty Owner
Alex,

We are camping and have no internet. I'm at our Daughters house for a few minutes so if you didn't get my first message here it is again.

I'll take a picture when I get home.

Also learned a good lesson in buying the air line. I stopped at a different store and they had some 1/4" OD air line rated for 140 lbs. I figured that would work. It didn't. I blew a hole in the air line coming down to the camp sight.

I ended up at a TRUCK shop and their air line is rated at 250 lbs. It was at least double the wall thickness of the first line I bought. I just thought I'll never run more than 50 to 60 lbs in it so why bother. Well when you hit a bump the pressure will go much higher. The number on the line read (J844) 1/4" OD and the wall thickness is thickness you can't compress the sides easily with your fingers at the opening. As long as you get it from a truck place it should meet DOT standards.

TeJay
Old 04-02-2019, 12:30 PM   #46

Looking on different sites I saw the following air lines. I only saw it rated for 150 psi, but am wondering if that is the working pressure and the burst pressure is higher:

https://www.myteeproducts.com/dot-ai...UaAloTEALw_wcB

I think I would go with green tubing so I can easily trace it if I need to in the future.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:39 PM   #47
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiba_Alex View Post
Looking on different sites I saw the following air lines. I only saw it rated for 150 psi, but am wondering if that is the working pressure and the burst pressure is higher:

https://www.myteeproducts.com/dot-ai...UaAloTEALw_wcB

I think I would go with green tubing so I can easily trace it if I need to in the future.
https://www.amazon.com/Nylon-Brake-T.../dp/B00CLXGHQU

http://shop.hoseandfittings.com/cata...Air_Brake.html
Old 04-02-2019, 04:50 PM   #48

Verified that the tubing that comes with the ride rite system handles up to 100 psi. Went ahead and ordered 100 ft of the tubing that will withstand 150 psi. Cheap insurance for a burst tube.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:01 PM   #49

Ford Super Duty Owner
Alex,

The guy who sold us the tubing told us the RV industry sometimes uses marginal tubing. The Air Ride bags came with the J844 line so they didn't go cheap.

The stuff I got from him is a DOT rated SAE J844 1/4" OD and rated for 250 lbs. That probably has a burst pressure well over 1,000 lbs. I'll get some wall thickness measurements when we get settled in after our trip.

The Amazon stuff shown above is good. I'd not use those plastic connectors. Again go to a semi truck parts shop and buy the brass compression fittings specifically for air lines. They are only about $2.50 each and will work. I've got some metal quick disconnect couplers and I'm going to replace all of them with brass which is tightened together with two wrenches. The metal couplers that I have may work or may leak. For me it's just not worth the MAYBE it'll work.

I just don't want to be chasing air leaks. Use the best plastic line and couplers. You'll need the couplers to attach a schrader valve to fill the bags.

I'll post some pictures of all this stuff later this evening.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:40 PM   #50

Ford Super Duty Owner
Alex,

I looked for a few hours today and can't find my camera to post some pics. I'll either find it tomorrow or work on using my phone to take and post some pics. I guess it's time to figure that out anyway.

We did put about 400 miles on the RV and I'm still happy with the results. This time we had the benefit 4 AB's until the rear one blew the hose.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:45 PM   #51

Thatís fine. I think I have the gist of what you are saying. Iíll take a look at the front and find a place to put the valves.

Question. If you are filling the bags from outside, how do you know when the coach is level? Is it more or less a guessing game or are you checking and filling every minute?
Old 04-05-2019, 09:11 PM   #52

Ford Super Duty Owner
Alex,

I'm not using the AB's to level so I'm putting the same amount in each set of bags (35 -F, & 55-R). If I wanted to adjust level I'd just add air 2 lb at a shot to the lowest side until my unit was level side to side. Yes to attain level you will need to run the front or rear set at different pressures.

I put my schrader valves just above the headlights on a piece of metal that runs on both sides just next to the radiator. The lines are spaced about 2" apart with the top one for the front and bottom for the rear. Very easy to get to.
Old 04-07-2019, 04:00 PM   #53

TeJay:
I looked in the front bay to see where the valves could be installed. Iím not seeing any place to put them. Would love to see a picture where you put yours.🤞

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0787.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	406.6 KB
ID:	241126

Name:	IMG_0788.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	454.8 KB
ID:	241127
Old 04-07-2019, 04:30 PM   #54

Ford Super Duty Owner
Alex,

Your set up is completely different from ours. I do see a place in the bottom picture on the upper right corner. Mount a thin piece of 1/8" flat steel or aluminum plate with a couple of sheet metal screws. I magnified the pic and there's a flat piece of black metal behind a piece of brake line. It is probably a square piece of tubing.

Since you're buying enough tubing you can run all schrader valves to one side and line them up in a square according to where they are on the RV.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:56 PM   #55

Hey guys:

Today they are installing the airbags. They got the driver side done but they called me and said that a propane line was in the way on the passenger side. I called Firestone and they assured me that it should be fine. The propane line is not in the way of the bag when inflated.

Name:	IMG_0815.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	347.9 KB
ID:	242124
Old 04-15-2019, 05:14 PM   #56

Got the coach home. 70 psi in the airbags. Coach was handling worse than before the install. Iíll probably have to play with the pressures a bit.

Tags
air, chassis, leveling